Adventures in Pointless Polling: Replacing Lost Umbrella Etiquette

Started by alfred russel, October 23, 2012, 06:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What was the proper etiquette in the situation?

The guy should have asked me to buy a new umbrella
2 (11.1%)
The guy shouldn't have asked me to buy a new umbrella
13 (72.2%)
We should have both bought Jaron a new umbrella (due to his size he might need two for total coverage)
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Tonitrus

Quote from: PDH on October 23, 2012, 06:54:13 PM
Kill the guy and make an umbrella out of his skin.

Like the "Jaron" voting option, we should probably make the "Nazi" option a Languish-poll meme.

mongers

This is a pretty trivial incident, stuff happens and things get lost, no one is at fault and people buy another one.

The guy was being an idiot, but the upside for you is he's gave you a clear window into his soul, he's an accountant isn't he ??
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

katmai

I ask Al as had similar experiences with vehicles rented for film productions with hell of a lot more important stuff than umbrella locked inside. :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

alfred russel

On the one hand I feel vindicated that this guy was in the wrong.

But I was probably a bit off too because I wasn't going to replace the umbrella until he asked.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on October 23, 2012, 07:03:10 PM
This is a pretty trivial incident, stuff happens and things get lost, no one is at fault and people buy another one.

The guy was being an idiot, but the upside for you is he's gave you a clear window into his soul, he's an accountant isn't he ??

He used to be.  :lol:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

katmai

Quote from: alfred russel on October 23, 2012, 07:03:42 PM

first mistake is thinking these misanthropes are indicative of anything.

alfred russel

Now a moral dilemma that actually bothers me...

Some of you may remember that rental car I destroyed in Patagonia (I rolled it over)? It turns out my credit card agreed to cover the losses (as I had rental coverage).  So the bill for the car was reversed from my card. However, the credit card never could get in touch with the rental car agency--which isn't a big surprise to me: this was in a little town in Argentina. So the credit card isn't going to pay either.

So there is some poor guy in Argentina whose car I wrecked and he isn't going to get paid. I'm not the one that owes him the money (the credit card does), but still...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: katmai on October 23, 2012, 07:06:13 PM

Yeah, you can take the man out of accountancy, but you can't ...

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

You only shot down the part of my statement that was favorable to me. Is that because you are a misanthrope?  :P

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on October 23, 2012, 06:50:08 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2012, 06:44:36 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 23, 2012, 06:39:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2012, 06:33:10 PM
How many business trips to do you do a year?

It depends. Last year it was a lot, now it is less.  :P

You always seem to be visiting some third world hell hole, Bolivia, Morocco, Mississippi...  yeesh.

I've never been to Bolivia, and I think the only time I posted about being in Mississippi was with Lettow.

You may not believe this, but the umbrella incident was actually in Saint Louis.  :P

I thought you were in Bolivia recently.  Or was that someone else?  There are parts of St.Louis that are pretty much a third world country.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2012, 07:30:51 PM

I thought you were in Bolivia recently.  Or was that someone else?  There are parts of St.Louis that are pretty much a third world country.

Nope--I posted about potentially going there, but I've never been and not going in the foreseeable future.

I like St. Louis.

katmai

Quote from: alfred russel on October 23, 2012, 07:28:33 PM

You only shot down the part of my statement that was favorable to me. Is that because you are a misanthrope?  :P

Only towards the denizens of Languish.

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on October 23, 2012, 07:33:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2012, 07:30:51 PM

Nope--I posted about potentially going there, but I've never been and not going in the foreseeable future.

I like St. Louis.

Ah, that was it.  Don't ever go to East St. Louis.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: katmai on October 23, 2012, 06:46:29 PM
What kind of rental company doesn't have spare set for car?
Didn't they tow it o someplace you could still recover belongings from? I mean what if you had something more important than an umbrella??
Alred travels to hell hole nations for fun. i can only imagine where his compnay sends him :ph34r:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.