And we're back!

Main Menu

The Nobel Peace Prize goes to ...

Started by Zanza, October 12, 2012, 05:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2012, 08:19:40 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 12, 2012, 08:09:40 AM
By economically integrating europe the EU has assured that war has become impossible between it's members. That is worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize.

A reasonable argument, but who is the somebody that integrated Europe economically?  Give them the prize.  Don't give it to an address in Brussels.  It's like giving the Nobel to the Oval Office.

The UN, the UN peacekeepers, Doctors without Borders and Amnesty International are all organizations that have won the prize. I think it is fitting that an organization can be a fitting recipient for the prize.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Funny thing is that FB may be right a few years down the line.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 12, 2012, 07:52:05 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 12, 2012, 07:34:15 AM
That's how you sum up the fighting at Cyprus in 1974?

No, I sum it up as irrelevant.  But you Euros with your goofy nationalist tendencies always blow shit out of proportion.

Ethnic cleansing irrelevant? Turks are Euros? Since when?
Last but not least, the self-hating euro pinko commie has nationalist tendencies if goofy?

garbon

Quote from: Viking on October 12, 2012, 08:21:41 AM
By economically integrating europe the EU has assured that war has become impossible between it's members. That is worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize.

A reasonable argument, but who is the somebody that integrated Europe economically?  Give them the prize.  Don't give it to an address in Brussels.  It's like giving the Nobel to the Oval Office.

The UN, the UN peacekeepers, Doctors without Borders and Amnesty International are all organizations that have won the prize. I think it is fitting that an organization can be a fitting recipient for the prize.

Seems as about as fitting to give it to a beleaguered organization as it is to give to a newly minted president.

Also all of those other organizations you've listed pretty much exist with the aim of peace. I'm not sure a trade organization should be considered the same - though I recognize that some advocated for it in favor of peace.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

On a different note - does linked economies actually ensure that war is impossible between member states?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Amnesty and MSF are independent organizations.  Peacekeepers are individuals engaged in an often unpleasant, dangerous, and thankless job.  As for the UN, the most suspect member of that list, at least it has a Sec Gen who often engages in personal diplomacy.  And IIRC, the UN got the prize for Coffee Onan's attempts to thwart Bushitler's attempt to conquer the Muslim word.

What has the EU done that's comparable?  Written harmonization regulations?

Zanza

The prize shall be given to whoever "shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

I reckon it's fairly easy to argue that the EU has indeed done more than just about any other organization to work for the fraternity between nations, considering that it is a tightly integrated confederation of 27 nation states.

mongers

Arse, I really thought I was in with a chance this year.   :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2012, 08:55:09 AM

Amnesty and MSF are independent organizations.  Peacekeepers are individuals engaged in an often unpleasant, dangerous, and thankless job.  As for the UN, the most suspect member of that list, at least it has a Sec Gen who often engages in personal diplomacy.  And IIRC, the UN got the prize for Coffee Onan's attempts to thwart Bushitler's attempt to conquer the Muslim word.

What has the EU done that's comparable?  Written harmonization regulations?
<mittens>Countries are people my friend.</mittens>
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 12, 2012, 07:04:51 AM
I've give the EU kudos for managing not to get into the usual generational British-French war, let Germany beat everybody up, or stuff all the continent's Jews into cattle cars, but that whole Balkans thing back in the 90's that nobody wanted to do anything about until the United States (once again) got involved (twice) really makes the concept of a Peace Prize fall a bit flat.

Then again, they gave it to a guy with a Kill List.  So go fig.

Balkans are not part of the EU.  :secret:

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2012, 08:36:07 AM
On a different note - does linked economies actually ensure that war is impossible between member states?

And if so, how does one explain civil wars?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on October 12, 2012, 09:38:39 AM

And if so, how does one explain civil wars?

States' rights.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Why are you asking such a dumb question? If by "ensure" you mean completely eliminates the chance of war, then the answer is obviously "no."

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2012, 08:32:43 AM

Seems as about as fitting to give it to a beleaguered organization as it is to give to a newly minted president.

Also all of those other organizations you've listed pretty much exist with the aim of peace. I'm not sure a trade organization should be considered the same - though I recognize that some advocated for it in favor of peace.

The EU is not (just) a trade organization.  :huh:

Count

Obviously they should pull a Time Magazine and give the Nobel Prize to "you"

edit- On second thought maybe that's what they were trying to do /pun
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years