Letters sent from Nazi labor camp delivered 70 years later

Started by garbon, October 12, 2012, 01:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/special-delivery-letters-sent-nazi-labor-camp-delivered-165825553.html

QuoteThis love story involves a man sent to a Nazi labor camp in World War II, his family back in France, and an antique letter collector—and die-hard romantic—in the United States who reunited the lost notes with the family.

Here's the story: Marcel Heuzé, a French tool worker, was deported to a German work camp in 1942 during the war. He built engines, armored vehicles and tanks at the Daimler-Benz factory, from where he sent letters back home to his wife and three daughters.

Many apparently never made it to their intended recipients, probably intercepted by German censors. By chance, an American, Carolyn Porter, spotted the French missives in an antiques store in Minnesota. What caught her eye were the French terms of endearment—so she bought the batch and had them translated.

According to the Telegraph, the amateur sleuth, with the help of a genealogist, tracked down Heuzé's family, contacted them and turned over the letters to the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Heuzé, who was released from the camp in 1944 and returned to his family, died 20 years ago.

Tiffanie Raux, 24, Heuzé's great-granddaughter, said the family was grateful to Porter for her "altruistic" gesture. "It's very American," she said. "I'm not sure people in France would have gone to all that trouble."

For her part, Porter told the publication she had hoped for a happy ending, which she herself delivered.

Is that really the case?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Jacob

That's a sweet story.

I don't know if languish can handle to concept of French people saying nice things about Americans, however.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 12, 2012, 02:06:41 PM
That's a sweet story.

I don't know if languish can handle to concept of French people saying nice things about Americans, however.

I thought it was a sweet story but wan't sure if that sort of touching gesture is a unique American thing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

Martinus

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Zoupa on October 13, 2012, 01:54:43 AM
Alerting the press about it is, however.

Ahh, french snarkiness. The world makes sense again.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Zoups took an extra long drag on the cigarette and then washed his bitterness down with wine mixed with OJ.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on October 13, 2012, 01:54:43 AM
Alerting the press about it is, however.

So you're only going to bitch when you post now? :(

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zoupa

Garbon, I just saw the Montreal thread. I thought you were coming in early November, sorry dude  :(