And we're back!

Main Menu

The Nobel Peace Prize goes to ...

Started by Zanza, October 12, 2012, 05:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 12, 2012, 06:57:00 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2012, 05:43:15 AM
people tend to forget that it achieved what no other European project has before - guaranteed peace in Europe for the last 60 years.

What's Yugoslavian for "Huh?"  How many languages does that require?

Only one, now!  :bash:

This isn't a bad prize, since I guess it's too late to give it to Monnet and Schuman. But I don't think you can just say that there's peace because of Nukes. India and Pakistan had nukes, after all. The EU has been a huge success story in opening up borders, encouraging democracy in Southern and Eastern Europe, and defusing tensions in a lot of the continent.

Drakken

Quote from: Tamas on October 12, 2012, 06:24:06 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 12, 2012, 05:57:48 AM
I thought NATO guaranteed the peace. NATO and the Warsaw Pact.

I guess these people think that weapons and armies cannot preserve peace, they can only do war.

Like dynamite, eh?

CountDeMoney

I've give the EU kudos for managing not to get into the usual generational British-French war, let Germany beat everybody up, or stuff all the continent's Jews into cattle cars, but that whole Balkans thing back in the 90's that nobody wanted to do anything about until the United States (once again) got involved (twice) really makes the concept of a Peace Prize fall a bit flat.

Then again, they gave it to a guy with a Kill List.  So go fig.

Duque de Bragança

I thought NATO guaranteed the peace.

Like between its members such as Greece and Turkey?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 12, 2012, 07:09:57 AM

Shitty Greek pilots and shitty Turkish pilots running into each other try to out-hotdog one another is NATO's fault?

Faeelin

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2012, 07:11:10 AM

Seriously what is wrong with them?

So you don't think that Monnet, Schuman, etc. did something worth a Nobel peace prize for?

garbon

I wonder, how long until the peace prize goes.out to: You
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

About fucking time somebody who deserves it gets it.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 12, 2012, 07:12:02 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 12, 2012, 07:09:57 AM

Shitty Greek pilots and shitty Turkish pilots running into each other try to out-hotdog one another is NATO's fault?

That's how you sum up the fighting at Cyprus in 1974?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 12, 2012, 07:34:15 AM
That's how you sum up the fighting at Cyprus in 1974?

No, I sum it up as irrelevant.  But you Euros with your goofy nationalist tendencies always blow shit out of proportion.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on October 12, 2012, 07:33:22 AM

Somebody? The EU is either a comission, which hasn't really done jack shit for world peace, or it's a series of treaties. 

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2012, 08:06:02 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 12, 2012, 07:33:22 AM

Somebody? The EU is either a comission, which hasn't really done jack shit for world peace, or it's a series of treaties.

By economically integrating europe the EU has assured that war has become impossible between it's members. That is worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Brazen

Interesting statement from SIPRI on the award:
QuoteOn two occasions—after the convulsion in the international system caused by World War II and the upheaval caused by the end of the cold war—closer cooperation in the framework of what has become the EU was an unequivocal statement that Europe is committed to peace and security between its member states.

The EU is based on core European values of peaceful coexistence, democracy and cooperation, rather than nationalism and protectionism. Today's strong relationship between the historical contenders France and Germany, as well as between former cold war adversaries, are two striking examples of this.

At a moment of rising economic and political uncertainty within the EU and unfolding violent conflicts and humanitarian crises on its doorstep, the decision of the Nobel Committee is a valuable reminder of the EU's purpose and positive achievements.

There has not been an armed conflict between members of the EU (or its forerunners) since the end of World War II, building domestic peace for over 500 million EU citizens.

'The awarding of the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize reminds us that the European Union is the most successful example of peacebuilding ever achieved in world history,' stated Tilman Brück, SIPRI's incoming director.

'However, the European Union must come to terms with its increased global responsibilities and the urgent need for more effective European institutions in the fields of international peace and security.

'To be relevant for its citizens and to become a significant global player, the European Union must achieve peace and prosperity abroad as well as at home.'

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on October 12, 2012, 08:09:40 AM
By economically integrating europe the EU has assured that war has become impossible between it's members. That is worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize.

A reasonable argument, but who is the somebody that integrated Europe economically?  Give them the prize.  Don't give it to an address in Brussels.  It's like giving the Nobel to the Oval Office.