And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Week 6: Mike Vick, Parole Violator

Started by CountDeMoney, October 11, 2012, 08:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteMichael Vick: 'Our pet is well cared for and loved'

Does he or doesn't he?

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick stirred up more questions of whether or not he owns a dog after he tweeted a photo late last week that appeared to include a box of dog treats.

Vick quickly deleted the photo from his Twitter account but not before the Philadelphia sports blog Crossing Board captured it.

To make matters worse, Vick was asked about his rumored dog ownership after Eagles practice Wednesday. According to NBC 10′s Dan Stamm, Vick wasn't answering any questions about dogs:

"I'm here to strictly talk about football," Vick told reporters after practice Wednesday when asked if his family had a pooch. "What goes on in my personal life is not to be talked about. What's most important right now is the Philadelphia Eagles and getting a win this Sunday."

In December, 2010 interview with NBC News' Mara Schiavocampo, Vick hinted at owning a dog one day:

"I would love to get another dog in the future [...] I think it would be a big step for me in the rehabilitation process. I think just to have a pet in my household and to show people that I genuinely care, and my love, and my passion for animals."

Vick told theGrio's Todd Johnson in July his new book Finally Free was a "last step" in putting his dogfighting past behind him:

"Just don't want to continue to talk about it anymore. I think there's more to talk about other than my wrongdoings and my failures. Let's talk about [my successes]. And that's what it's all about."

Vick probably prefers not to answer any dog-related questions in the future. This latest episode, however, will not slow those questions down one bit.

**UPDATE:

The answer is yes – Michael Vick does own a 'pet'. In a statement released by his publicist Thursday, the NFL's number one overall draft pick in 2001 admitted what many already suspected. Below is the statement via the Philadelphia Inquirer's Eagles reporter Jeff McLane:

"I understand the strong emotions by some people about our family's decision to care for a pet. As a father, it is important to make sure my children develop a healthy relationship with animals. I want to ensure that my children establish a loving bond and treat all of God's creatures with kindness and respect. Our pet is well cared for and loved as a member of our family. This is an opportunity to break the cycle. To that end, I will continue to honor my commitment to animal welfare and bean instrument of positive change."

QuoteDate & Time    Favorite    Line    Underdog    Total
10/11 8:25 ET    Pittsburgh    -6    At Tennessee    43
10/14 1:00 ET    Cincinnati    -2    At Cleveland    44
10/14 1:00 ET    At NY Jets    -3.5    Indianapolis    43
10/14 1:00 ET    At Tampa Bay    -4.5    Kansas City    40
10/14 1:00 ET    At Atlanta    -9    Oakland    48.5
10/14 1:00 ET    At Baltimore    -3.5    Dallas    44
10/14 1:00 ET    At Philadelphia    -3.5    Detroit    47.5
10/14 1:00 ET    At Miami    -4    St. Louis    37.5
10/14 4:05 ET    New England    -3.5    At Seattle    44.5
10/14 4:05 ET    At Arizona    -4.5    Buffalo    43.5
10/14 4:25 ET    At Washington    -2    Minnesota    Off
10/14 4:25 ET    At San Francisco    -6.5    NY Giants    45.5
10/14 8:30 ET    At Houston    -3.5    Green Bay    47.5

MadBurgerMaker

Taking a break from the two guys just babbling at each other, I came across a Prisco "article" about Cushing's injury.  Well, it's really just a bunch of still shots, but here you go:

I've seen some message board experts, etc, saying it was a shitty illegal hit, but I wasn't really sure since I didn't turn around and see it until Cushing was rolling around on the ground holding his knee.  Illegal?  Or no?  After seeing the replays, I'm a homer and all, so I call it illegal and fuck that guy and all that.

The link: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pete-prisco/20546135/petes-pics-a-closer-look-at-slausons-hit-on-cushing

A gif:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20546092/report-nfl-fines-matt-slauson-10k-for-block-on-brian-cushing

He was fined $10,000, but that doesn't always mean it was necessarily illegal.  er...if you know what I'm saying.

CountDeMoney

Not a fan of cut blocks, always has the potential for bad things at the last moment of contact.  That's what looks like happened to Cushing:  a cut block that went wrong.
Never understood why the Competition Committee hasn't gotten rid of it yet.

Neil

It looks like a pretty regular low block to me.  Cushing isn't engaged or anything.

The Titans would be a much better team if they would wrap up.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

Everything I have heard and read (outside of Matthews) says it was a legal and legit block.  2 ex-D-lineman, Mike Golic and Michael Strahan said the same thing.

There is questioning about whether it should be legal but I don't know how you change the rule to make that specific play illegal without making all cut blocks illegal.  It was an unfortunate play, not much more to it, IMO.

MadBurgerMaker

It's definitely not a chop, which is what would be called if he were engaged.  The question would be if it was outside of the tackle box, within some (five?) number of yards from the line of scrimmage, and if he was in front of the defender.  I honestly can't answer the first two, since I didn't see the play.

E:  Here's a thing about the fine: http://www.jetsinsider.com/blogs/wesley_sykes/?p=1902

A "peel-back" block?  :huh: 

Neil

This is going to end up being more Tuck Rule faggotry.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Neil on October 11, 2012, 09:52:55 PM
This is going to end up being more Tuck Rule faggotry.

I hope they don't rule the regular cut block illegal, since, you know, that would wipe out the whole Texans running game. :P 

Going by middle school football...uh...a few years ago....what I was taught about cut blocking went like this (forum posting "art" incoming):

Say the play is going this way:  <---------------
If the defender is going along with it, his legs are kinda going to be like this ---> o
                                                                                                                              o

You want to go after the thigh (knee heh) the arrow points to and trip him totally up, right?  Again...middle school.  ;)

MadBurgerMaker

Oh wow.  Hasselbeck just bounced one off a DB.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 11, 2012, 09:26:36 PM
Not a fan of cut blocks, always has the potential for bad things at the last moment of contact.  That's what looks like happened to Cushing:  a cut block that went wrong.
Never understood why the Competition Committee hasn't gotten rid of it yet.

I was a big fan of them when I played.  I was an offensive guard and some of the defensive lineman were starting to outgrow me-- loved cutting those big fuckers before they had any idea what was going on.  Never did it from behind, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Announcers are stupid.  ITS BASICALLY LIKE HAVING A BYE EXCEPT THAT YOU HAVE TO PLAY AND YOU WANT TO WIN  :hmm:

MadBurgerMaker

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

MadBurgerMaker

It was a "nuke the stadium" kind of game.