News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dinner poll

Started by merithyn, October 16, 2012, 04:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which should I make for dinner?

Taco salads
Baked potatoes with toppers (chili, sour cream, cheese, etc.)
You should make... (answer below)

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 16, 2012, 05:20:17 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 16, 2012, 04:42:06 PM
In Ukraine, it was an annual tradition to obtain a sack of potatoes before the winter season and store it in one's subdivision of the apartment building basement.  One potato dish or another is pretty much all you consumed during the winter, since most other foodstuffs were out of season or too expensive.  It makes you appreciate the choice of foodstuffs when you have it.

Truly a worker's paradise.

I'm pretty sure it was like that pre-communism.  All the ukrainian recipes I know all involved potatoes, beets and cabbage.

I made borscht on Sunday.  It was: delicious. :mmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 16, 2012, 05:18:34 PM
I need my baked potato Paula Deen style.

WITH A STICK OF BUTTER.

No joke.  At Thanksgiving dinner, ain't happy until my baked potato is soaked, along with my arteries.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2012, 04:53:21 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2012, 04:32:06 PM
Potatoes aren't "fattening", either. One large baked potato in its jacket with nothing on it is only 165 calories. It's not the potato that's unhealthy or fattening. It's the crap that people pile on it that is.

Such as
Quotechili, sour cream, cheese, etc.
:contract:

Better to have the chili, sour cream and cheese alone than with the potato.

Voted taco salad!
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 16, 2012, 05:24:53 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 16, 2012, 05:18:34 PM
I need my baked potato Paula Deen style.

WITH A STICK OF BUTTER.

No joke.  At Thanksgiving dinner, ain't happy until my baked potato is soaked, along with my arteries.

Then another stick of butter for the dinner rolls.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2012, 05:03:43 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 16, 2012, 04:51:59 PM
But they can't be a dish by itself, you need more : like a steak.

You've never heard of cheesy ham and potatoes or potato soup?

Don't think so, no but that is not what you proposed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 16, 2012, 05:23:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 16, 2012, 05:20:17 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 16, 2012, 04:42:06 PM
In Ukraine, it was an annual tradition to obtain a sack of potatoes before the winter season and store it in one's subdivision of the apartment building basement.  One potato dish or another is pretty much all you consumed during the winter, since most other foodstuffs were out of season or too expensive.  It makes you appreciate the choice of foodstuffs when you have it.

Truly a worker's paradise.

Now he stores blueberries.
:lol:  years later, the land lord is going to be so confused when he finds crates of blueberries in the crawlspace.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2012, 04:30:24 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2012, 04:22:27 PM
Baked potatoes are healthy?  :huh:

Why wouldn't they be? :huh:

Chock full of vitamins, good fiber, and healthy carbs.

Nutritional Data

You missed out on one vital nutrient, protein, potatoes are a pretty poor source, something like 3-4 per 100g, so to get your recommended amount as a women of at least 30-35g* per day you'll need the equivalent of a kg or more. 

Also potatoes are hard to cook without damaging some of it's nutrition.

*for some reason this recommended daily minimum varies a lot between countries and agencies.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on October 16, 2012, 07:33:38 PM
You missed out on one vital nutrient, protein, potatoes are a pretty poor source, something like 3-4 per 100g, so to get your recommended amount as a women of at least 30-35g* per day you'll need the equivalent of a kg or more. 

Also potatoes are hard to cook without damaging some of it's nutrition.

*for some reason this recommended daily minimum varies a lot between countries and agencies.

If all I ate was a baked potato all day, you'd have a point. Luckily, my daily menu includes more than that. Besides, I add cheese, pork chili, and sour cream to my potato, which adds protein. On average, I shoot for about 70-75 g of protein a day, which I usually hit.

I find it so interesting that so many people are so convinced that potatoes are bad for you, probably because they're primarily carbs. Carbohydrates aren't bad for you unless you're a diabetic on a restricted diet.

FWIW, I ended up making chili and leaving it at that. I couldn't eat it (fucking ulcer :glare:), but the kids and my friend loved it. I had toast and jam. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...