Yes or Maybe
12 (40%)
No
10 (33.3%)
Not married but like to vote
8 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Valmy

Like Meri is going to significantly outlive a guy 10 years younger than she is anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2012, 03:39:33 PM
Like Meri is going to significantly outlive a guy 10 years younger than she is anyway.

Not with my family history. Max will be fancy-free and living the high-life off my life insurance policy before he's 60, most likely.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 09, 2012, 03:38:19 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 03:28:21 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2012, 03:25:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 02:53:10 PM
So you'd be like I love you and want to spend time with you - but you can't come into my house / let alone live together?

Worked for me for years.

Sure Seedster but that's because you and I aren't the marrying/cohabiting kind.

Then why are you judging me?? :mad:

Because you clearly are the marrying kind. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

You are in a serious relationship with a child. I'm not sure how it works in Canada, but people in the UK have had an unpleasant surprise when their partner has died, since they are not next of kin. It is one of the reasons why the right for gays to get married is so important; in the past a person's blood family could cut in and simply ignore the "other half".

Perhaps some of the Canadian legal folk can chip in on this, the rules may be different from the UK. But, in the UK, the straightforward and easy way to protect your partner's rights to property etc is to get married.

I thought common law marriage laws meant you were treated as if you were married?
If it isn't that way it should be.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

No, there is no legal recognition of so-called common law marriages in England and Wales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-law_marriage

People are being caught out by this all the time.

But think about it. How is the government supposed to know you are married if you do not register it? Are you married if you spend the night with a woman? How about a week, or a month? I certainly do not want the government guessing my intentions. Marriages are important legal contracts, they are written down and registered; why would we want to play silly guessing games.......except lawyers of course, they get fat fees out of any confusion  :P

Josquius

QuoteBut think about it. How is the government supposed to know you are married if you do not register it? Are you married if you spend the night with a woman? How about a week, or a month?
In Sweden sambo/same abode status comes after living together for two years IIRC and it gives a tonne of rights/responsibilities/general marriagey stuff.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tyr on October 10, 2012, 04:39:05 AM
QuoteBut think about it. How is the government supposed to know you are married if you do not register it? Are you married if you spend the night with a woman? How about a week, or a month?
In Sweden sambo/same abode status comes after living together for two years IIRC and it gives a tonne of rights/responsibilities/general marriagey stuff.

I shared a house with another bloke for a couple of years back in the day, does that mean we would have accidentally set up a gay marriage under Swedish law?

Alternatively, I also shared a flat with some women for a couple of years and had sex with one of them once, how would the Swedish system deal with that?

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 10, 2012, 04:54:56 AM

I shared a house with another bloke for a couple of years back in the day, does that mean we would have accidentally set up a gay marriage under Swedish law?

Alternatively, I also shared a flat with some women for a couple of years and had sex with one of them once, how would the Swedish system deal with that?

Send all of them or you to a sexual rehabilitation camp ?   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 10, 2012, 04:54:56 AM

Well it appears in the US where common law marriages still happen - a piece of it is intent / acting like they are married.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 10, 2012, 08:15:39 AM
Well it appears in the US where common law marriages still happen - a piece of it is intent / acting like they are married.

And it requires seven years of living as husband and wife before it can be legally acknowledged. In Iowa, now, it's living as husband and husband or wife and wife for seven years. (I love that Iowa includes same-gender marriages in their common law policies now. :D)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on October 10, 2012, 08:10:18 AM
Send all of them or you to a sexual rehabilitation camp ?   :P

Oh, that's your answer to everything.

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on October 10, 2012, 04:25:29 AM
I thought common law marriage laws meant you were treated as if you were married?
If it isn't that way it should be.

No Common Law Marriage laws mean you are married.  I guess I do not get the distinction between being married and being treated as if you are married under the law.  If you are treated as if you are married then....hey that means you are married.  If you break it off you have to file for divorce and all that good stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Richard Hakluyt

How do the authorities decide what is "living as husband and wife"  :hmm: ?

Also, can you be effectively forced into being considered as having a common-law marriage against your will?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM
How do the authorities decide what is "living as husband and wife"  :hmm: ?

Also, can you be effectively forced into being considered as having a common-law marriage against your will?

You have to do something to trigger it.  Like file jointly for taxes or have a kid together while living together.  The State has to notice you are doing Husband and Wifely stuff.  At least that is how it works here.

And yes you can.  You really gain nothing by not actually getting a marriage license in Texas unless you are really sneaky.