12 (40%)
No
10 (33.3%)
Not married but like to vote
8 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

PDH

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM
How do the authorities decide what is "living as husband and wife"  :hmm: ?

Fight a lot and no longer have sex.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on October 10, 2012, 10:13:02 AM

Hey!  Some of us get along wonderfully and no longer have sex.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2012, 10:15:49 AM

And some of us get along wonderfully and still have sex!  :showoff:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2012, 10:09:34 AM
How do the authorities decide what is "living as husband and wife"  :hmm: ?

Also, can you be effectively forced into being considered as having a common-law marriage against your will?

You have to do something to trigger it.  Like file jointly for taxes or have a kid together while living together.  The State has to notice you are doing Husband and Wifely stuff.  At least that is how it works here.

In Maryland, I believe all it takes is established cohabitation for a period of time.  So it sorta triggers itself.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2012, 10:15:49 AM

You need to fight more so you can have makeup sex.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

I wonder what happens if one runs two households in Texas; say, one in Dallas during the week and another in rural Texas for the weekends.............would one end up committing common-law bigamy  :hmm: ?

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 10, 2012, 10:55:05 AM
I wonder what happens if one runs two households in Texas; say, one in Dallas during the week and another in rural Texas for the weekends.............would one end up committing common-law bigamy  :hmm: ?

With different women?  The State would probably go with whatever one was first.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Also, can you be effectively forced into being considered as having a common-law marriage against your will?

Yes, it really has nothing to do with your will, it has to do with creating a legal responsibility if you treated her like a wife for 2 years or more - at least in this jurisdiction.  If there is a dispute about the status it is resolved by the court.  But basically if you have been living together and having sex during those two years you are probably a common law couple - at least in this jurisdiction.

Josquius

How long do you have to be apart to break the chain?
Say if I'm approaching the two years but don't want to be married, for how long do I have to go away to reset the count?

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 10, 2012, 04:54:56 AM
I shared a house with another bloke for a couple of years back in the day, does that mean we would have accidentally set up a gay marriage under Swedish law?

Alternatively, I also shared a flat with some women for a couple of years and had sex with one of them once, how would the Swedish system deal with that?

No idea.
Though that's not so common in Sweden. Flat sharing is quite a horrible British thing, most countries seem to have plentiful one person flats <_<
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on October 11, 2012, 06:36:51 AM
No idea.
Though that's not so common in Sweden. Flat sharing is quite a horrible British thing, most countries seem to have plentiful one person flats <_<

Nope. The US has that in abundance, too. Not because there aren't enough one-person apartments, but because nobody can afford to live on their own.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 08:23:53 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 11, 2012, 06:36:51 AM
No idea.

Nope. The US has that in abundance, too. Not because there aren't enough one-person apartments, but because nobody can afford to live on their own.

Nobody is a bit broad. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 08:43:04 AM

:rolleyes:

You knew what I meant.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 09:25:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 08:43:04 AM

:rolleyes:

You knew what I meant.

The 2011 New York City Housing and Vacancy Survey had that 34% of renters lived in apts by themselves. If you add in married couples to that (as presumably they live together because they want to and not solely for economic reasons), you've 65% of renters in NYC not fitting what you said.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 09:35:14 AM
The 2011 New York City Housing and Vacancy Survey had that 34% of renters lived in apts by themselves. If you add in married couples to that (as presumably they live together because they want to and not solely for economic reasons), you've 65% of renters in NYC not fitting what you said.

Oh for god's sake, garbon.  :rolleyes: It's like dealing with my fucking teenagers.

That's still 35% of people who live with a roommate, most likely for financial reasons. That's a lot, and I bet it's pretty much on par with the UK; London in particular. Which was, I think you know, the point of the post.

So, it's a lot, okay? Maybe not "nobody" but pretty much everyone knew that, didn't they? Of course, it required the snarky-barely-post-teen-literalist to make a big deal about it.