The Great Debate Megathread! Black Lincoln versus whiter, richer Douglas!

Started by Sheilbh, October 02, 2012, 10:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Phillip V

Gallup poll numbers now out, which include the day after the debate, the day after that, and the day that sub-8% unemployment number was announced. Thus, we will see if the positive jobs headline will halt Romney's momentum this week. VP debate this Thursday.

So far, Obama's 5-point pre-debate lead has been erased.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_election_romney_vs_obama-1171.html

CountDeMoney

I noticed that the Romney sons are going to be on some late night shows this week.

I find it odd and extremely creepy that all 5 have to show up together everywhere.  You'd think Mittens would send them out like Ringwraiths to all points on the map, only to converge later.

Phillip V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 08, 2012, 08:24:56 AM
I noticed that the Romney sons are going to be on some late night shows this week.

I find it odd and extremely creepy that all 5 have to show up together everywhere.  You'd think Mittens would send them out like Ringwraiths to all points on the map, only to converge later.
Dividing them makes them into individual appearances is boring. Everybody has a son or two.

Put them all together, and people are shocked at the visual existence of 5 sons. The only problem is that they are not super handsome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on October 08, 2012, 08:32:45 AM
Put them all together, and people are shocked at the visual existence of 5 sons. The only problem is that they are not super handsome.

They're all the same, though. It's like they talk to each other telepathically.  It's just creepy when they're together.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2012, 06:31:39 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 05, 2012, 06:21:29 PM
General Motors alive

the elimination of creditor legal rights. :)

?
what creditor rights were eliminated?
And if that happened, how could it possibly have survived court scrutiny?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 08, 2012, 08:36:10 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on October 08, 2012, 08:32:45 AM

They're all the same, though. It's like they talk to each other telepathically.  It's just creepy when they're together.
Yeah, seriously.  You're supposed to strike out on your own at that age, not ride around in a five-seat stroller.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 08, 2012, 09:26:21 AM
?
what creditor rights were eliminated?
And if that happened, how could it possibly have survived court scrutiny?

The right not to be blackmailed by the federal government.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2012, 01:12:24 PM
The right not to be blackmailed by the federal government.

Who was blackmailed in the GM bankruptcy?
I know this line has somehow become gospel on the WSJ editorial board and similar places, but the factual underpinning seems curiously absent.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 08, 2012, 01:16:59 PM
I know this line has somehow become gospel on the WSJ editorial board and similar places, but the factual underpinning seems curiously absent.

The Obama administration threatened to publish the names of those holders of GM bonds who refused the terms of the restructuring.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on October 03, 2012, 11:39:39 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 03, 2012, 11:36:01 PM
What if the polls move 4-5 points in Romney's favor?
What if Obama chokes to death on his nicotine gum while walking to the Oval Office tomorrow morning?

Quote from: Phil 5

[

:whistle:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on October 08, 2012, 01:25:11 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 03, 2012, 11:39:39 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 03, 2012, 11:36:01 PM
What if the polls move 4-5 points in Romney's favor?
What if Obama chokes to death on his nicotine gum while walking to the Oval Office tomorrow morning?

Quote from: Phil 5

[

:whistle:
Those are RCP averages.  You know what I think about that meaningless babble.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2012, 01:19:24 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 08, 2012, 01:16:59 PM

The Obama administration threatened to publish the names of those holders of GM bonds who refused the terms of the restructuring.

Why did that frighten them? I wouldn't care. Were they gonna sic the UAW baseball bat patrol on them or something?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers