The Great Debate Megathread! Black Lincoln versus whiter, richer Douglas!

Started by Sheilbh, October 02, 2012, 10:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on October 03, 2012, 11:30:40 PM
Wow, 11% drop on Intrade now.  I've never felt more frustrated at being unable to trade there.  The crowd is nuts.

What if the polls move 4-5 points in Romney's favor? He would be evenish nationally and in the swing states, and is still at 35%.

If this is a signal for future debates, whatever bump Romney gets probably won't be temporary.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on October 03, 2012, 11:30:56 PM
Maybe he should have gone with both?

He could've gone with something.  I mean, jeez.  There was nothing.  Nada.  Zilch.

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on October 03, 2012, 11:36:01 PM
If this is a signal for future debates, whatever bump Romney gets probably won't be temporary.
Expectations will matter though. Anything will be an improvement for Obama (and in 2008 he improved a lot), while Romney's set the bar high. He may have Clegged.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

What if the polls move 4-5 points in Romney's favor?
What if Obama chokes to death on his nicotine gum while walking to the Oval Office tomorrow morning?

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on October 03, 2012, 11:03:17 PM
Well, I went all-in on Fake Intrade, putting all of my fake $5,000 on Obama.  I think this 9% post-debate dip is a vast over-reaction.  I put my fake money where my fingers are.

No kidding.  I wish I had the seed money to get in on this action.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on October 03, 2012, 11:39:39 PM
What if Obama chokes to death on his nicotine gum while walking to the Oval Office tomorrow morning?

Are you pricing that in? His chances go to 0% if that happens.

I know you hate national polling, but the RCP average has Obama +3.1% right now, and Romney is considered to have just won the first debate. 65-35 odds doesn't strike me as crazy.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Oh then it's over for Romney. Biden would've been magnificent tonight.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 03, 2012, 11:47:40 PM
Oh then it's over for Romney. Biden would've been magnificent tonight.

I would have loved to have seen a Biden/Romney debate tonight.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 03, 2012, 11:56:28 PM

I will guarantee that Papa Joe will not appear tired or disinterested with Cheese Boy.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 03, 2012, 11:58:26 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 03, 2012, 11:30:56 PM
Maybe he should have gone with both?

Nah, Seedy's was too much.

I had to temper it, as I doubt my preferred method of profanity-laced debate techniques would go over well with 60 million people.  :blush:

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2012, 11:57:57 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on October 03, 2012, 11:56:28 PM

I will guarantee that Papa Joe will not appear tired or disinterested with Cheese Boy.
This is going to be one helluva weird debate, that's for damn sure at least.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

As I was busy, I ignored the whole debacle.  I have one question though:  How many people will legitimately change their votes over the debate's outcome?  Is there any reasonable number there?  I just don't see it.  Aside from giving the news shows, papers, and people bullshit to babble over till the next annoying talking point pops up, what the hell is the point of these?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."