The Great Debate Megathread! Black Lincoln versus whiter, richer Douglas!

Started by Sheilbh, October 02, 2012, 10:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Kleves on October 04, 2012, 02:55:40 PM
Michelle's a big lady.

Her brother is gigantic. 

edit: apparently he's only 6'2".  But he looks like a big mofo.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

May explain why she never seems to stand up straight. It drives me insane the way she slouches.  <_<
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2012, 12:43:27 PM
Issue 1 was a proposal to automatically have a constitutional convention every 10 years.  I have no idea what that would accomplish, so I voted no.

Issue 2 would change the redistricting process to mimic the "California Model", where judges appoint a 12-member board.  It's supposed to "take politics out of the process" but that's an unachievable goal.  I got into a fun argument with some Issue 2 activist at a folk/bluegrass concert a few weeks ago over this. Emphatically voted NO-- I darkened the box in so much I almost tore through the paper.

And I voted yes on both county renewal levies to supplement funding to old people, crazies, and drug addicts.  I'm getting soft in my old age :mellow:

I am going to laugh if this passes by one vote and your ballot was spoiled for colouring outside of the box.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on October 04, 2012, 03:23:15 PM
I am going to laugh if this passes by one vote and your ballot was spoiled for colouring outside of the box.

I kept within the box, just like how they taught me to color within the lines in pre-school  :showoff:

But yeah if it passes by one vote feel free to laugh.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

I'm laughing right now because you let the activist get you so worked up over some non-issue.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 04, 2012, 03:32:19 PM
I'm laughing right now because you let the activist get you so worked up over some non-issue.  :P

YOU GOT ME THERE.  I had fun with the old gal.  Got her to admit that she had no problems with the process when it favored Democrats, and kept her occupied for a few minutes.

Admiral Yi

No mention by the fact check guys of subsidies for outsourcers.  :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2012, 03:44:47 PM

Yeah I keep hearing about that.  Obviously that would be pretty damning if true.  But it probably is not really true, only true in some stupid politician way.  I was amused Obama brought it up...you know...the guy who could have done something about it the last four years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2012, 03:44:47 PM

Obama brought it up today at one of his rallies, but didn't go into any specifics. 

I think that was my favorite MittMoment from last night.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2012, 03:53:16 PM
Obama brought it up today at one of his rallies, but didn't go into any specifics. 

I think that was my favorite MittMoment from last night.

Probably mine as well, but I was also thinking that a lot of the public could have interpreted Willy's comments as sincere confusion.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2012, 03:54:18 PM
Probably mine as well, but I was also thinking that a lot of the public could have interpreted Willy's comments as sincere confusion.

Only if it got spun that way, which from what I've seen it hasn't.  He was pretty assertive and I think that helped.

DGuller

That seemed like dangerous territory to me, referring to his accountants.  Why would he check with his accountants about subsidies for outsourcing?  It could've so easily become "I don't know anything about that subsidy, and I think I know a thing or two about outsourcing to China."

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on October 04, 2012, 04:00:08 PM
That seemed like dangerous territory to me, referring to his accountants.  Why would he check with his accountants about subsidies for outsourcing? 

To see if Obama's repeated claims were true?

DGuller

QuoteDENVER—Following last night's nationally televised presidential debate, President Barack Obama's 11-year-old daughter Sasha reportedly asked her father why he was "acting like such a goddamned pussy up there." "Daddy, how come you were being such a little bitch?" asked the sixth-grader, who told the president she was "genuinely worried" that maybe somebody had "cut Daddy's balls off" right before he took the stage. "What happened, Dad? Were you on your period or something? Maybe the next time you're in front of the entire country for an hour and a half you should try not letting another man spank you on the ass like that." Sources added that Obama's youngest daughter then offered to help the president go "look for [his] dick, because apparently it's gone missing."