The Great Debate Megathread! Black Lincoln versus whiter, richer Douglas!

Started by Sheilbh, October 02, 2012, 10:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 05, 2012, 02:59:28 PM
Hell, I have a tough enough time with getting in and out of the Jeep, let alone the three flights of stairs to my front door.  I would probably pass out during the final approach to DEN.

Fat, old and out of shape is no way to go through life, son.

:P
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 05, 2012, 03:04:10 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 05, 2012, 02:59:28 PM
Hell, I have a tough enough time with getting in and out of the Jeep, let alone the three flights of stairs to my front door.  I would probably pass out during the final approach to DEN.

Fat, old and out of shape is no way to go through life, son.

I like to think I've earned it.

Josephus

Quote from: alfred russel on October 05, 2012, 12:58:36 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 05, 2012, 12:25:53 PM
Then again, John Sununu said it was because he's "lazy" and "not so bright", so maybe it's just because he's, you know, a nigger.

If a lazy and stupid guy rises to the top of 300m people, what does that say about the rest of us?  :hmm:

Not sure about the rest of us, but it says that America Is A Great Country and even the lazy stupid niggers can become presidents.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Speaking as someone from Central Southern England, it's possible to get to over 1000 ft above sea level, if I travel around 90 miles. :gasp:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 05, 2012, 02:44:31 PM
derspeiss, I know you're in full-on Republican mode while you're here (and you pretty much have to be defensive around here), but I have a question for you. As a Romney supporter, are you happy with how he's handled himself during this election cycle? In particular, how he's represented his ideas and how he's handled the pressure over the past year or so.

How he's represented his ideas?  Up until this week, not too happy about it.  As I mentioned when I disagreed with Hans a few months ago, Romney absolutely has to make a clear case for himself.  The way presidential elections go these days, voters seem less willing to dump incumbents (regardless of how bad the first 4 years were) unless the challenger presents clear, strong arguments.  My take is that he just started to make his case in the first debate.  I hope he can build on that momentum.

I think he did a stellar job handling pressure in the primaries, and I think that experience made him a stronger candidate in the general election.  I definitely think the primaries helped sharpen him for Wednesday's debate, for example.

I wish he hadn't ducked the "Romneycare" attacks during the primaries.  If I were him I'd tout it as an experiment that was worth trying in the context of a fairly liberal northeastern state and that one of the great things about our federal system is that you can try out such things at the state level to either prove or disprove their worthiness for other states to adopt.  In a sense his strategy worked in that he eventually won the primary, but I think he could have done a better job taking that issue away from his primary opponents.

Whether he wins or loses, I think to this point he's run a much better campaign than McCain did.

QuoteI'm not asking for the talking points that I can find on the typical Conservative website/paper/social site. You're an intelligent man. I'd really like to know your personal likes and dislikes of the man. I'd like to know if you're supporting him because he's the lesser of two evils, in your opinion, or if you're supporting him because you honestly think that he'll make a good (or great) president. (I know that there are plenty of Obama supporters who believe that Obama is the lesser of two evils rather than because he's going to be a great president in round two. I know few Republicans who are willing to say one way or another how they feel about Romney without resorting to Fox News talking points. I really want to know.)

For the record, I honestly don't feel like I know enough about what Romney really wants to do to have an opinion on him. What I do know isn't pleasant, but I know that it's a very small part of the picture and I'd like to know more.

I'm ashamed to say that one of my main reasons for opposing Romney in 2008 was the Mormon thing.  Once the dust settled from the 2008 election I came to around to the opinion that he would have been a better candidate against Obama and a much better president for the time than either Obama or McCain.

At his heart I think Romney is pretty much right in the center of the GOP.  I'm a bit to the right of him on many things.  I don't think he's another Reagan.  But he's way closer to my views than Obama is.  On top of that, I think Romney is a superb manager who can get difficult things done and that is what the country needs right now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

DGuller

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney