The Great Debate Megathread! Black Lincoln versus whiter, richer Douglas!

Started by Sheilbh, October 02, 2012, 10:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on October 08, 2012, 03:23:07 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 08, 2012, 02:46:48 PM
I'm speaking very generally here because I don't quite agree with your characterization of Romney in the debate, but are you shocked that a significant portion of the electorate values style over substance?

Good point, once I listened to the Nixon-Kennedy debate and was amazed anybody ever though Nixon didn't wipe the floor with him.
People who listened to the debate on the radio did believe that, unfortunately a hell of a lot more people watched the debate on tv.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Capetan Mihali

In other news, I have actually read some Hyman Minsky as of today.  A working paper from '90 or '91 on the financial instability hypothesis.   :)  :Joos
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2012, 06:15:18 PM
Of course you know what it means.  You were very active in the threads about the GM bailout. 

One of the aspects of that bailout plan put forth by Obama's auto czar was it called for holders of GM bonds to be paid a specified fraction of par value (10%? 20?).  Several bond holders opposed the plan, in the belief that as first claimants to GM's assets they could do better than 10% in a liquidation.  Obama obviously didn't want GM to be liquidated.  He threatened the bond holders with time in the media stocks if they didn't give in.  After he made the threat they gave in.

The reason why I don't know what these means is because it didn't happen.
Most bond holders approved the 363 sale because they knew (and it was obvious) that a liquidation would leave them with nothing.
A few bondholders did challenge the sale.  They failed because (among other things) they didn't present any evidence that a liquidation or any other alternative would yield more value, but the only consequence of that failure was Judge Gerber denying their claim.  No pillories or any other medievial punishment equipment was involved.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 09, 2012, 12:42:05 AM
In other news, I have actually read some Hyman Minsky as of today.  A working paper from '90 or '91 on the financial instability hypothesis.   :)  :Joos

:)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PDH

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 09, 2012, 08:54:29 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 09, 2012, 12:42:05 AM

:)

That calls for a toast!  White wine and orange juice for everyone!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2012, 01:35:29 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2012, 01:29:51 PM
Those are RCP averages.  You know what I think about that meaningless babble.
Actually, I've been mislead by a link to RCP.  That was actually just one tracking poll, which is an even more meaningless number (especially if it was cherry-picked rather than taken at random).  The RCP averages point to a 2-2.5% post-debate swing, which is exactly what 538 indicates as well.

Well, now here's one you can dismiss as ever more meaningless:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_election_romney_vs_obama-1171.html

The Pew poll of likely voters had a gigantic swing, like 12-ish as of yesterday.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Yeah, swing of 12, I'm going to be a little skeptical without further corroboration.  Let's see what Pew says in a couple of days.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on October 09, 2012, 02:22:21 PM
Yeah, swing of 12, I'm going to be a little skeptical without further corroboration.  Let's see what Pew says in a couple of days.

You know he linked to the RCP poll of polls, right?  The result is certainly corroborated.

Now let's see if it's sustained, or a momentary bounce.  That's the real question.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on October 09, 2012, 03:03:39 PM

You know he linked to the RCP poll of polls, right?  The result is certainly corroborated.
No, the post-debate swing of 12 is not corroborated at all, and I'm not sure how the RCP poll of polls led you to believe otherwise.  No other poll had a swing nearly that big, so such an outlier should immediately make everyone skeptical.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on October 09, 2012, 03:13:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 09, 2012, 03:03:39 PM

No, the post-debate swing of 12 is not corroborated at all, and I'm not sure how the RCP poll of polls led you to believe otherwise.  No other poll had a swing nearly that big, so such an outlier should immediately make everyone skeptical.

Because RCP merely combines together several different polls.  Follow the link.  3 of the 6 polls now show Romney in the lead, 2 show Obama, and one shows a tie.  I don't think anyone had Romney in the lead a few days ago.

It's a definite bounce.  But lets see if it lasts.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on October 09, 2012, 03:20:32 PM
Because RCP merely combines together several different polls.  Follow the link.  3 of the 6 polls now show Romney in the lead, 2 show Obama, and one shows a tie.  I don't think anyone had Romney in the lead a few days ago.
And that corroborates a 12 point bounce how?
It's a definite bounce.  But lets see if it lasts.
Yes, it's a bounce.  But a 1 point bounce is not quite the same as a 200 point bounce.  Magnitude matters in statistics, it's not just true/false.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 09, 2012, 08:53:37 AM
The reason why I don't know what these means is because it didn't happen.
Most bond holders approved the 363 sale because they knew (and it was obvious) that a liquidation would leave them with nothing.
A few bondholders did challenge the sale.  They failed because (among other things) they didn't present any evidence that a liquidation or any other alternative would yield more value, but the only consequence of that failure was Judge Gerber denying their claim.  No pillories or any other medievial punishment equipment was involved.

Really??  Under US bankruptcy law creditors have to convince a judge that they would do better under liquidation than a settlement?

This seems such a basic point, how was it the media so completely missed it at the time?

Phillip V

Associated Press (AP) criticized for using this as the main photo of an article about Romney visiting a school in Virginia today.

Caption: "Republican presidential candidate, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney poses for photographs with students of Fairfield Elementary School, Monday, Oct. 8, 2012, in Fairfield, Va."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/10/ap-clarifies-romney-photo-caption-137909.html