The Great Debate Megathread! Black Lincoln versus whiter, richer Douglas!

Started by Sheilbh, October 02, 2012, 10:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

I kind of like the electoral college, but all electors in all states should be divided proportionally (w/ perhaps the winner being awarded an extra vote or two).
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

PDH

The Electoral College should be like a real college, with parties and football games.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: Kleves on October 08, 2012, 03:33:52 PM
I kind of like the electoral college, but all electors in all states should be divided proportionally (w/ perhaps the winner being awarded an extra vote or two).

This is a compromise I could live with.  I still do not understand what is so great about it.  And if it is so great why don't States adopt it on a county by county level?  Clearly a system that is liked should be used for every election.

The only advantage I hear is that supposedly if every vote was counted equally nobody would bother to campaign anywhere but LA, Chicago, and New York and this makes the small states more important.  Since it does nothing of the sort I am waiting for the other reason it is a system I should like.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on October 08, 2012, 03:48:02 PM

This is a compromise I could live with.  I still do not understand what is so great about it.  And if it is so great why don't States adopt it on a county by county level?  Clearly a system that is liked should be used for every election.

Several states used to, and the Supreme Court made them stop as it violated equal protection (rural areas getting more representation discriminated against urban--and often minority--voters).

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on October 08, 2012, 03:53:59 PM
Several states used to, and the Supreme Court made them stop as it violated equal protection (rural areas getting more representation discriminated against urban--and often minority--voters).

Wait the Electoral College is Unconstitutional for States?  Talk about arbitrary bullshit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on October 08, 2012, 03:56:01 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 08, 2012, 03:53:59 PM

Wait the Electoral College is Unconstitutional for States?  Talk about arbitrary bullshit.

Nah, it makes perfect sense.  If the Electoral College wasn't actually written into the constitution, it would be unconstitutional.

The case is Gray v. Sanders, ending Georgia's "county-unit" system.
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=372&invol=368

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2012, 03:31:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 08, 2012, 03:25:53 PM
A system designed to make sure the small states do not get ignored...but in practice means everybody gets ignored except for Ohio, Florida, and Pennsylvania?  I fail to see its merits aside from age.
Agreed.  It's a complete anachronism, and it disenfranchises states that aren't one of the few ones designated as "battleground".
Except not at all.  They're always free to vote for the other guy, and that changes the equation.

Still, you guys deserve to have these problems.  Instead of going with the perfect Westminster system, you folks elected to fail at governing.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on October 08, 2012, 03:58:28 PM
Nah, it makes perfect sense.  If the Electoral College wasn't actually written into the constitution, it would be unconstitutional.

Woah.  Consider my mind blown.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2012, 04:01:53 PM
Except not at all.  They're always free to vote for the other guy, and that changes the equation.

Still, you guys deserve to have these problems.  Instead of going with the perfect Westminster system, you folks elected to fail at governing.

Well at the time the Westminster system gave Old Sarum two seats in Parliament.

alfred russel

I like the electoral college. First, it isn't as though it is terrible. The way our country is divided, to lose the electoral vote and win the popular vote, the election almost needs to be 50-50. So a guy wins getting marginally fewer votes: that hardly seems as anti democratic as in a multi party parliamentary system where the winner gets perhaps 35% of the vote and then politicians cut deals to decide the form of government.

Second, doing away with it would really only level the playing field if we federalized elections. States don't have the same registration or voting procedures, and also don't have the same eligibility rules for who can vote.

Third, what chaos would there be if we needed a national recount. Florida alone was bad enough.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2012, 01:19:24 PM
The Obama administration threatened to publish the names of those holders of GM bonds who refused the terms of the restructuring.

???
I don't understand what this means.  GM's assets were sold in a 363 sale.  There are no terms for creditors to refuse in such a sale.  The only way to register disapproval is oppose the sale in court, and there is no way to do that incognito.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 08, 2012, 05:22:17 PM
???
I don't understand what this means.  GM's assets were sold in a 363 sale.  There are no terms for creditors to refuse in such a sale.  The only way to register disapproval is oppose the sale in court, and there is no way to do that incognito.

Of course you know what it means.  You were very active in the threads about the GM bailout. 

One of the aspects of that bailout plan put forth by Obama's auto czar was it called for holders of GM bonds to be paid a specified fraction of par value (10%? 20?).  Several bond holders opposed the plan, in the belief that as first claimants to GM's assets they could do better than 10% in a liquidation.  Obama obviously didn't want GM to be liquidated.  He threatened the bond holders with time in the media stocks if they didn't give in.  After he made the threat they gave in.

Phillip V

There have only been a few Senate election polls post-debate, but the down-ticket effect of Mitt's performance is mixed for now.

The Ohio Senate race seems to come back to being tied after a Democratic lead: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/oh/ohio_senate_mandel_vs_brown-2100.html
However in Virginia, Democratic candidate and former Governor Tim Kaine has maintained his lead against former Senator George Allen: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/va/virginia_senate_allen_vs_kaine-1833.html

I am awaiting polls to see if Senator Scott Brown of Massachusetts will regain his edge against Democratic challenger Elizabeth Warren, who has recently built a narrow lead: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/ma/massachusetts_senate_brown_vs_warren-2093.html

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on October 08, 2012, 02:39:32 PM

Hmmmm...that might get the Republicans to finally support ending it.  I hope so.
:o I LOVE the electoral college.

QuoteI still do not understand why people are so excited about Romney after that debate.  All his ideas were either horrible, vague, or completely unfeasible.
People are voting on a man, not a series of policy positions.  Romney came across well.

QuoteHe threatened the bond holders with time in the media stocks if they didn't give in.  After he made the threat they gave in.
You really think this?  I can't imagine what sort of company or individual would choose to act against their rational economic interest to avoid being criticised in the media :mellow:

Just to add to Phil's post, I wish Brown and Warren could both win :(
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on October 08, 2012, 08:56:04 PM
I am awaiting polls to see if Senator Scott Brown of Massachusetts will regain his edge against Democratic challenger Elizabeth Warren, who has recently built a narrow lead: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/ma/massachusetts_senate_brown_vs_warren-2093.html

He keeps being a dick, and he won't.