The Great Debate Megathread! Black Lincoln versus whiter, richer Douglas!

Started by Sheilbh, October 02, 2012, 10:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 08, 2012, 08:36:10 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on October 08, 2012, 08:32:45 AM
Put them all together, and people are shocked at the visual existence of 5 sons. The only problem is that they are not super handsome.

They're all the same, though. It's like they talk to each other telepathically.  It's just creepy when they're together.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/paul-ryan-knocked-over-by-pack-of-rambunctious-rom,29529/
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2012, 01:29:51 PM
Those are RCP averages.  You know what I think about that meaningless babble.
Actually, I've been mislead by a link to RCP.  That was actually just one tracking poll, which is an even more meaningless number (especially if it was cherry-picked rather than taken at random).  The RCP averages point to a 2-2.5% post-debate swing, which is exactly what 538 indicates as well.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2012, 01:35:29 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2012, 01:29:51 PM
Those are RCP averages.  You know what I think about that meaningless babble.
Actually, I've been mislead by a link to RCP.  That was actually just one tracking poll, which is an even more meaningless number (especially if it was cherry-picked rather than taken at random).  The RCP averages point to a 2-2.5% post-debate swing, which is exactly what 538 indicates as well.

The RCP average still has a bunch of polls from before the debate built in.

Lets take a step back.

1)What do you think the national polls are right now?
2) If the only information I was able to provide right now were the popular vote total percentages, what is the threshold you would consider to be 50-50?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on October 08, 2012, 02:07:39 PM
Lets take a step back.

1)What do you think the national polls are right now?
2) If the only information I was able to provide right now were the popular vote total percentages, what is the threshold you would consider to be 50-50?
1)  The best model I have indicates it's 51-48.  I'll go with that.
2)  I think Obama being behind by 0-1 points would be an electoral college toss-up.

alfred russel

Sounds reasonable.

The question is, what are the chances that Romney can make ~3.5% in just under a month. He is probably reasonably close to the margin of error in any event. I don't know what the historical trends are, but I would guess swings of 3.5% are not uncommon in the last month. I also don't know whether people usually break toward the challenger or incumbant.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

All the polls I've seen have been either +1 Mittens, +1 Chicago Book Cookers, or a toss-up.

Kleves

Will Obama: win the electoral college but lose the popular vote?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Valmy

Quote from: Kleves on October 08, 2012, 02:36:26 PM

Hmmmm...that might get the Republicans to finally support ending it.  I hope so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I still do not understand why people are so excited about Romney after that debate.  All his ideas were either horrible, vague, or completely unfeasible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 08, 2012, 02:40:49 PM
I still do not understand why people are so excited about Romney after that debate.  All his ideas were either horrible, vague, or completely unfeasible.

I'm speaking very generally here because I don't quite agree with your characterization of Romney in the debate, but are you shocked that a significant portion of the electorate values style over substance?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 08, 2012, 02:39:32 PM
Quote from: Kleves on October 08, 2012, 02:36:26 PM

Hmmmm...that might get the Republicans to finally support ending it.  I hope so.

...with equal pushback from Democrats.  It'd be 2000 in reverse. 

But I would still support the electoral college system in any case.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on October 08, 2012, 02:24:08 PM
Sounds reasonable.

The question is, what are the chances that Romney can make ~3.5% in just under a month. He is probably reasonably close to the margin of error in any event. I don't know what the historical trends are, but I would guess swings of 3.5% are not uncommon in the last month. I also don't know whether people usually break toward the challenger or incumbant.
Lower than it seems, IMO.  There is a solid bedrock that each candidate has, and it isn't going to be swayed by Obama farting during the debate.  The first 1% swing is always going to be much easier than the next 1% swing.  I also doubt that history would be much of a guide, since people nowadays make up their mind earlier and with conviction.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 08, 2012, 02:46:48 PM
I'm speaking very generally here because I don't quite agree with your characterization of Romney in the debate, but are you shocked that a significant portion of the electorate values style over substance?

Good point, once I listened to the Nixon-Kennedy debate and was amazed anybody ever though Nixon didn't wipe the floor with him. 

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 08, 2012, 02:48:00 PM
...with equal pushback from Democrats.  It'd be 2000 in reverse. 

But I would still support the electoral college system in any case.

A system designed to make sure the small states do not get ignored...but in practice means everybody gets ignored except for Ohio, Florida, and Pennsylvania?  I fail to see its merits aside from age.

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on October 08, 2012, 03:25:53 PM
A system designed to make sure the small states do not get ignored...but in practice means everybody gets ignored except for Ohio, Florida, and Pennsylvania?  I fail to see its merits aside from age.
Agreed.  It's a complete anachronism, and it disenfranchises states that aren't one of the few ones designated as "battleground".