News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A New Article Of Faith ?

Started by mongers, September 25, 2012, 04:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Viking on September 25, 2012, 05:09:05 PM
Ben Stein is a crackpot, if you doubt it just look at his movie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expelled:_No_Intelligence_Allowed

Didn't he do the "Bueller...anybody?" bit.

Also when I was younger I had a game called Game of Life and IIRC one of the bills had him on it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

In shows I've seen they use it and just Mohammed. A bit like Christ, Jesus and Jesus Christ are all used for variety in a script. In both cases the 'prophet' or 'Christ' bit is often added to mark the start of their religious career.

I think part of it is explanation, I've also heard 'the prophet Bahuallah' in a show that touched on the Bahai. I've not seen anything about Hinduism in ages, but I'd expect them to use 'the God, Vishnu'. I've also heard many books referred to as holy texts.

In terms of TV problems and Islam, the Tom Holland situation's far worse.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

What's wrong with "Prophet Muhammad"?  Doesn't everyone agree that Muhammad was in fact a prophet? :huh:

Of course, a lot of people think that he was a false prophet... but a prophet nonetheless. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2012, 06:35:28 PM
In shows I've seen they use it and just Mohammed. A bit like Christ, Jesus and Jesus Christ are all used for variety in a script. In both cases the 'prophet' or 'Christ' bit is often added to mark the start of their religious career.

I think part of it is explanation, I've also heard 'the prophet Bahuallah' in a show that touched on the Bahai. I've not seen anything about Hinduism in ages, but I'd expect them to use 'the God, Vishnu'. I've also heard many books referred to as holy texts.

In terms of TV problems and Islam, the Tom Holland situation's far worse.

No Shelf, I'm specifically talking about it's use on the bbc news website and on the bbc news channel/news broadcasts, were there appears to be guidelines on the issue.

Obviously in shows produced by other bbc departments, commissioned series and other broadcasters there is more variance in and degree of editorial control.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on September 25, 2012, 06:42:16 PM
What's wrong with "Prophet Muhammad"?  Doesn't everyone agree that Muhammad was in fact a prophet? :huh:

Of course, a lot of people think that he was a false prophet... but a prophet nonetheless. :sleep:

That would assume the existence of one or more gods who choose to communicate with humans.

Sheilbh

Not really, it assumes Mohammed's belief. In terms of news you could make a similar argument about the common description of the Pope's 'urbi et orbit' as 'addressing the faithful'.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2012, 07:13:40 PM
Not really, it assumes Mohammed's belief. In terms of news you could make a similar argument about the common description of the Pope's 'urbi et orbit' as 'addressing the faithful'.

I note you've not responded to me specific point about it's blanket use by BBC news.

Phillip V

Q: Why does The Times refer to Muhammad as the Prophet Muhammad, but not refer to Jesus Christ in the same way?

A: "We try as much as possible to respect the terms and language used by religious groups. Muslims routinely refer to Muhammad as "the Prophet Muhammad," but I'm not aware of any Christian denominations that use 'the Prophet Jesus.'"

http://publiceditor.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/on-identifying-a-rape-victim-naming-a-prophet-and-nate-silvers-role-the-public-editor/

Sheilbh

I'm not sure what your more specific point is I'm afraid.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2012, 07:23:21 PM
I'm not sure what your more specific point is I'm afraid.

I think I made it pretty clear, re-read the OP; that the BBC has a policy of always referring to Mohammad as the "Prophet Mohammad".

Sheilbh

Okay, so the issue is that they always do it, not the content of the word 'prophet'?

As far as I can remember they've always done it, but the name crops up more lately. I'd guess it's a style guide decision for consistency.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2012, 07:41:06 PM
Okay, so the issue is that they always do it, not the content of the word 'prophet'?

As far as I can remember they've always done it, but the name crops up more lately. I'd guess it's a style guide decision for consistency.

Well it always being capitalised is interesting; I'd be happier with bbc journalists being able to use whatever they feel is appropriate for their piece.

Personally, I'd be happier with "the alleged prophet Mohammad".  ;)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 25, 2012, 07:45:54 PM

:lol:  Our Alleged Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

As opposed to his brother, Jerry Christ.

Eddie Teach

The false prophet and the false messiah.  :Joos
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2012, 08:55:43 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 25, 2012, 07:45:54 PM

:lol:  Our Alleged Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

As opposed to his brother, Jerry Christ.

Incidentally that spelling and phase in quotation marks give me first place on google:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=%22the+alleged+prophet+Mohammad%22&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

Will they now fatawaize me ? :unsure: