News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The 2012 London Olympics Sports Thread

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on August 24, 2012, 06:23:21 AM
They have just shown the official farewell to the Spanish paralympic team. Behind the speaker there was a very pretty girl with her left arm amputeed from the elbow. I wonder how much of a turn off that is for her personal life.

I always wanted to bang an amputee.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Had a chat with an acquaintance of mine, Rob, who'd been one of the neutral service mechanics at the Olympic cycling events;

He was in the centre of the olympic velodrome for many of the cycling events checking the bikes etc, he said it was an amazing experience, crowd noise unbelievable.

Said one of the Italian cyclists was warming up on a static set up (temp.forgets the technical name) and something went wrong and it wrecked the drive train of his bike, 15 minutes before his race, so comms. being difficult,so he just took the bike and completely rebuilt the whole drive train with different kit (shimano,rather than what it was built with), just in time for the guy to enter the race, the athlete came 5th and later the national coach came around and gave him a hug, for allowing the cyclist his chance to compete in the Olympics.

He had a pass that pretty much allowed him to go anywhere the athletes would, so he hung out with some of them, in amongst lots of voluntary hard work. Said it was really weird sitting down to eat and on the next table was Usan Bolt, being just an ordinary person and yet at the same time also one of the most famous persons on the planet.

What I was really pleased about it, was he grabbed the opportunity with both hands and has made lots of good contacts with people in the sport, which will really improve his chances of becoming a full-time technician with one of the pro-cycling teams. He's a great guy, real enthusiast for the sport and deserves to do well out of it.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Speaking of Olympics, Russians just fired the head coach of their women's gymnastics team, after he took them from zero medals in Beijing to 6 medals in London.  :lol:  Russians never fail to punish success.  Hopefully he'll come back to US and coach the US team, now that the Romanian child abusers who were in charge are retiring.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2012, 04:48:40 AM
"Women's" gymnastics is child abuse.
True, but having a former boxer punch the kids he trained, and starve them as a tool of discipline, is a bit more of a child abuse.

Josquius

Increasingly every sport is child abuse. Its just getting to the stage where you have to keep pushing and start them ever younger.

QuoteHe had a pass that pretty much allowed him to go anywhere the athletes would, so he hung out with some of them, in amongst lots of voluntary hard work. Said it was really weird sitting down to eat and on the next table was Usan Bolt, being just an ordinary person and yet at the same time also one of the most famous persons on the planet.

What I was really pleased about it, was he grabbed the opportunity with both hands and has made lots of good contacts with people in the sport, which will really improve his chances of becoming a full-time technician with one of the pro-cycling teams. He's a great guy, real enthusiast for the sport and deserves to do well out of it.   :)
I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this: what of the crazy olympics sex parties?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

On the US-Canada thing, I'm fairly sure John Terry's counted for the ref before, and have it given. But I'm not sure whose side that helps...
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I've made it a habit now when surfing fodbol to count the time the goalie handles the ball.  Not much data yet.