News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A New Article Of Faith ?

Started by mongers, September 25, 2012, 04:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on September 26, 2012, 10:03:53 AM
As a follower of early Peruvian gods I am deeply offended by Malthus's dismissal of what I hold so dear to me. Besides shouldn't he be fasting all day and begging forgiveness today.

*My* imaginary gods don't require fasting and begging.  :showoff:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 26, 2012, 10:11:52 AM

Maybe, but at least *your* imaginary god required you to atone today.  ATONE FOR YOUR TRANSGRESSIONS AGAINST THE COMMANDMENTS OF THE GOD OF ISRAEL!!11
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Do they refer to Benedict XVi as the Pope or the Holy Father? I guess it could be a good comparison.

Can't wait for them to start to include PBUH.

Gups

Quote from: Malthus on September 26, 2012, 09:36:20 AM
We have at my gym a personal trainer whose name is Mohammed. He's a former Mr. Universe and they heavily advertise his services. Which makes for some amusing ads.

"Want a better body? Let Mohammed show you how".  :D

Fighting jihad on your flab since 570 CE

No Ramadam, no iron buns

I'll get me robe

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2012, 10:17:44 AM

Maybe, but at least *your* imaginary god required you to atone today.  ATONE FOR YOUR TRANSGRESSIONS AGAINST THE COMMANDMENTS OF THE GOD OF ISRAEL!!11

Hey, just because I'm a Jew doesn't mean I actually have to believe all that early Iron Age stuff.  :yucky:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Gups

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2012, 10:20:48 AM
Do they refer to Benedict XVi as the Pope or the Holy Father? I guess it could be a good comparison.

Yeah, he's called the Pope more than Benedict. Holy Father not so much.

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on September 25, 2012, 04:15:51 PM
As England gets more Mohamed's you have to differentiate from the holy guy and the kabob street vendor lol

Yeah, and every time they say "Praise Jesus" they really mean Kevin Alejandro character from True Blood.

Martinus

Quote from: Gups on September 26, 2012, 10:23:47 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2012, 10:20:48 AM

Yeah, he's called the Pope more than Benedict. Holy Father not so much.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that calling him the "Holy Father" would be the equivalent of calling Muhammed a Prophet. The Pope is just a "secular title" so to speak, like the President or the King.

In Polish tv, the Pope is sometimes referred to as the Holy Father, which I find quite irksome.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2012, 10:10:19 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 26, 2012, 09:36:20 AM
"Want a better body? Let Mohammed show you how".  :D

I hope somwhere there is a gigolo named Mohammed.

'For a good time call Mohammed.'

I thought the headlines about Jesus being Madonna's latest fuck were the best.  :lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Josephus on September 26, 2012, 10:03:53 AM
As a follower of early Peruvian gods I am deeply offended by Malthus's dismissal of what I hold so dear to me. Besides shouldn't he be fasting all day and begging forgiveness today.

Isn't Yom Kippur about it, essentially? :P

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 26, 2012, 10:23:04 AM
Hey, just because I'm a Jew doesn't mean I actually have to believe all that early Iron Age stuff.  :yucky:

What does participating in ancient and beloved cultural practices have to do with believing anything? :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

I just thought I'd like to be invited to a gay wedding of two Spaniards: Jose Maria and Jesus. I would keep the invitations just to show to people.

Gups

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2012, 10:27:26 AM
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that calling him the "Holy Father" would be the equivalent of calling Muhammed a Prophet. The Pope is just a "secular title" so to speak, like the President or the King.

In Polish tv, the Pope is sometimes referred to as the Holy Father, which I find quite irksome.

He's lucky he's not jsut called the Bishop of Rome.

Generally speaking the BBC is chronically deferential to all and anything religious especially given that the country is one of the most non-religious in the world.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2012, 10:27:26 AM

Well, Catholicism is pretty much your state religion, isn't it?  I've only heard devout Catholics refer to him that way.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2012, 10:32:39 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 26, 2012, 10:23:04 AM

What does participating in ancient and beloved cultural practices have to do with believing anything? :P

Well, I'll think about that over lunch - I'm having pork chops. With  a glass of milk.  ;)