News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A New Article Of Faith ?

Started by mongers, September 25, 2012, 04:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Viking on September 25, 2012, 04:23:08 PM
That's like being more catholic than the pope.. even mohammed ibn abdullah (yeah, that was his name) agreed that infidels didn't have to acknowledge him as the prophet.

But then again that was when he was influenced by the satanic verses when he agreed to that so.. yeah.. maybe not. It like as if they used "Our Saviour Jesus Christ" when referring to the historical person Jesus.

Actually, my impression is that "Jesus Christ" and "Christ" do, in fact, get used an awful lot.  Christos is a title as much as theos or soter.  Edit: I see this has been addressed.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Tangentially related: a guy I work with once made a comment about so many Hispanics named Jesus.  He thought it was weird that they would name themselves after their God.

His name?

Joshua.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Quote from: Phillip V on September 25, 2012, 07:21:51 PM
Q: Why does The Times refer to Muhammad as the Prophet Muhammad, but not refer to Jesus Christ in the same way?

A: "We try as much as possible to respect the terms and language used by religious groups. Muslims routinely refer to Muhammad as "the Prophet Muhammad," but I'm not aware of any Christian denominations that use 'the Prophet Jesus.'"

http://publiceditor.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/on-identifying-a-rape-victim-naming-a-prophet-and-nate-silvers-role-the-public-editor/

Probably because Christians don't believe Jesus was a prophet.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

dps

Quote from: Caliga on September 25, 2012, 06:42:16 PM
What's wrong with "Prophet Muhammad"?  Doesn't everyone agree that Muhammad was in fact a prophet? :huh:

Of course, a lot of people think that he was a false prophet... but a prophet nonetheless. :sleep:

Yeah, not seeing the problem myself.  If they were to have to refer to, say, Jeremiah at some point, I wouldn't think it unusual if they were to refer to him as "the Prophet Jeremiah" or think that was some sort of endorsement of Judism.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on September 25, 2012, 10:26:12 PM
Yeah, not seeing the problem myself.

That's because there isn't one.

derspiess

I don't like it.  Feels like pandering.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2012, 10:42:51 PM

Don't recall you having an issue with the Prophet Archie Griffin.

crazy canuck

Jesus Christ, why cant you people be content with calling the prophet, peace be upon him, by his full name?

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on September 25, 2012, 09:26:05 PM
Tangentially related: a guy I work with once made a comment about so many Hispanics named Jesus.  He thought it was weird that they would name themselves after their God.

His name?

Joshua.

You're pulling our leg.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Malthus

I once read something that amused me in an article published by the Royal Ontario Museum about an exhibit of early peruvian gold masks.

The writer of the article stated that the peruvians made the masks to depict their "... imaginary gods".

I read that to my wife and we both had a good laugh - I mean, why was the qualifier necessary?  :lol: Aren't all gods essentially imaginary? And even if you are a believer and feel your own god(s) are real, surely there can't be anyone nowadays who believes in the early peruvian ones, or who are likely to start believing by seeing these masks.

Anyway, it's been a bit of an in-joke with us ever since. Sometimes when one of us stubs our toe, or otherwise feels the need to curse, we exclaim "Oh, the imaginary gods!"
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2012, 10:58:03 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2012, 10:42:51 PM

Don't recall you having an issue with the Prophet Archie Griffin.

I had a problem with him as a Bengal.  He had twice as many fumbles as TDs.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 25, 2012, 09:26:05 PM

His name?

Joshua.

We have at my gym a personal trainer whose name is Mohammed. He's a former Mr. Universe and they heavily advertise his services. Which makes for some amusing ads.

"Want a better body? Let Mohammed show you how".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

As a follower of early Peruvian gods I am deeply offended by Malthus's dismissal of what I hold so dear to me. Besides shouldn't he be fasting all day and begging forgiveness today.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 26, 2012, 09:36:20 AM
"Want a better body? Let Mohammed show you how".  :D

I hope somwhere there is a gigolo named Mohammed.

'For a good time call Mohammed.'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."