News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A New Article Of Faith ?

Started by mongers, September 25, 2012, 04:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Watching BBC news earlier and there was a item about the protest against the Prophet Muhammad film; thought it a bit odd, but couldn't place it, then the penny dropped, it was the use of the word prophet.

I've heard the "Prophet Muhammad" used two or three times recently on bbc news and it sounded to my ears a relatively recent 'innovation'

So a bit of googling shows that in all but one instance, it's now appears de rigueur when reporting about Muhammad on the bbc website that he has to be referred to as the "Prophet Muhammad".
Is this the result of some recent bbc change of policy, just something in the bbc in-house style guide or have I not been aware of it and it's been a long-standing practice ?

However, I can't shake off the feeling this might be another example of trying to not offend people religious beliefs.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

So long as they do so for all the other Prophets it is all good.  I presume they also say 'Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ' as well right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

As England gets more Mohamed's you have to differentiate from the holy guy and the kabob street vendor lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on September 25, 2012, 04:15:51 PM
As England gets more Mohamed's you have to differentiate from the holy guy and the kabob street vendor lol

That is true.  Mohammed Smith might think the story is about him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2012, 04:17:10 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 25, 2012, 04:15:51 PM

That is true.  Mohammed Smith might think the story is about him.
:lol:

Viking

That's like being more catholic than the pope.. even mohammed ibn abdullah (yeah, that was his name) agreed that infidels didn't have to acknowledge him as the prophet.

But then again that was when he was influenced by the satanic verses when he agreed to that so.. yeah.. maybe not. It like as if they used "Our Saviour Jesus Christ" when referring to the historical person Jesus.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2012, 04:15:29 PM
So long as they do so for all the other Prophets it is all good.  I presume they also say 'Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ' as well right?

Yes, in part that was my reaction, but I'm not at all sure I'm right about this as googling doesn't turn up any real evidence one way or the other, excepting what I put in the op.

It just sounds odd hearing this on the bbc television news.

Barrister

It's no different that calling You Know Who "Jesus Christ".

Jesus was his name - Christ (or Christos) is just the Greek translation of "Saviour" or "Messiah".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2012, 04:30:04 PM

Jesus was his name - Christ (or Christos) is just the Greek translation of "Saviour" or "Messiah".

Ah good point.

PDH

I think Joseph and Mary Christ would beg to differ.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Razgovory

Yeah, using his real last name, Rabinowitz, would look a bit weird wouldn't it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: PDH on September 25, 2012, 04:33:20 PM
I think Joseph and Mary Christ would beg to differ.

I may have been in my early teens by the time I realized that wasn't a surname  :Embarrass:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Saving oh course the Beeb, doesn't appear to have any policy in how he's named in articles, sometime it's Jesus Christ other time just plain Jesus, whereas now it appears mandatory to refer to the "Prophet Mohammad", the "prophet Mohammad" isn't enough.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2012, 04:39:30 PM

Yeah, using his real last name, Rabinowitz, would look a bit weird wouldn't it?

Since he spoke Aramaic, I think it unlikely he had a Yiddish last name. :hmm:

Jesus of Nazareth was his full name.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.