News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canada to share embassies with Great Britain

Started by viper37, September 25, 2012, 12:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

19.5? How'd that happen. You have a 9.25 or something pst now, plus 5 for gst. How'd they get the 5 percent bump?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on October 02, 2012, 07:19:21 AM
19.5? How'd that happen. You have a 9.25 or something pst now, plus 5 for gst. How'd they get the 5 percent bump?

To compensate the tax on tax.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2012, 06:45:52 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 29, 2012, 12:44:45 PM
And almost all of the money they take in via taxes goes to organized crime.
Actually, Ontario is the most corrupt province in Canada, according to the RCMP.  Strangely enough, no Canadian media is reporting this on their frontpage... must be a minor oversight.

This is what Vipes is referring to.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/09/18/in-response-to-le-telejournal/

Not exactly the best rebuttal to soothe Quebec nationalists!  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 02, 2012, 07:09:45 AM
It's getting Harmonized in the near future too, the deal is done, HST will be around 19.5%.
HST will be 15%.  The total tax is 14,975% currently.

If the PQ wanted to erase the current deficit, all things being equal, they'd need to raise the sales tax level at 19,5% on top of their tax hikes.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 02, 2012, 07:54:26 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2012, 06:45:52 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 29, 2012, 12:44:45 PM
And almost all of the money they take in via taxes goes to organized crime.
Actually, Ontario is the most corrupt province in Canada, according to the RCMP.  Strangely enough, no Canadian media is reporting this on their frontpage... must be a minor oversight.

This is what Vipes is referring to.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/09/18/in-response-to-le-telejournal/

Not exactly the best rebuttal to soothe Quebec nationalists!  :lol:
No, it's not the same officer. The one interviewed by Enquête is a retired police officer.  The one interviewed by the Commission Charbonneau is an active duty RCMP investigator specialized in organized crime.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Here is the text:
MONTREAL - A detective from Ontario took centre stage at Quebec's inquiry into corruption in the construction industry on Thursday, outlining some of the broad trends in organized crime that he has witnessed in his home province.

Detective Constable Mike Amato of the York Regional Police department explained to the commissioners that in Ontario, and the greater Toronto area in particular, the 'Ndrangheta crime families (originating in Italy's Calabria region) are the most powerful players. Quebec, in contrast, has mainly been dominated over the last decades by Cosa Nostra (Sicilian) mob families — namely the Rizzuto clan.

In Toronto, the 'Ndrangheta and Cosa Nostra appear to coexist more easily, Amato said, and even assist each other — when it suits them.

"Obviously, at times there's conflicts," added the 25-year police veteran. "There's murder, there's violence, there's bombings."

Much of this internal strife is undetectable by law enforcement agencies, however, because the Ontario mobsters tend to stay "under the radar," Amato said.

"Every so often, you might see that someone who was walking straight is now walking crooked. ... There is violence, but it's undetected and it's unknown to us."

In many ways, Amato's testimony seemed to echo that of Italian scholar Valentina Tenti, who took the stand earlier in the week and gave the commissioners a crash course in the Italian mob, as it exists both in Italy and abroad. Amato confirmed Tenti's assertion that over the years, Mafia organizations around the globe have become increasingly adept at infiltrating the legitimate business market, using restaurants, trucking companies, construction firms and other businesses as fronts for criminal activities behind the scenes.

"They do not operate in the dark, they operate in the light, among us," Amato said. "You have persons who are accountants, bankers, bus drivers, in all sectors of public life.

"They need these legitimate businesses to launder their criminal profits. ... It also allows someone to explain their wealth."

Like Tenti, Amato also stressed that mob families are highly adaptable and flexible organizations, re-structuring and changing tactics as they move into new regions and as technology improves. The Ontario and Quebec organizations may cooperate when it is advantageous to both parties, he said, as has been the case with certain Internet gambling operations.

"As we evolve as a society, so does organized crime," Amato explained. "They're just sometimes quicker and better at it than we are."

Amato completed his testimony during the morning session.

On Thursday afternoon, Justice Charbonneau was asked by a lawyer representing the Coalition Avenir Québec to consider granting the provincial opposition party "participant" status, which would allow their lawyer to cross-examine witnesses. The Parti Québécois and the City of Montreal, among others, have been granted this status. After calling a recess, Charbonneau chose instead to grant the CAQ "intervenor" status, meaning the party will not be allowed to question witnesses, but will be given access to documents before they are entered into evidence and can propose questions to the commission's lawyers.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on October 02, 2012, 09:11:20 AM
Here is the text:
MONTREAL - A detective from Ontario took centre stage at Quebec's inquiry into corruption in the construction industry on Thursday, outlining some of the broad trends in organized crime that he has witnessed in his home province.

Detective Constable Mike Amato of the York Regional Police department explained to the commissioners that in Ontario, and the greater Toronto area in particular, the 'Ndrangheta crime families (originating in Italy's Calabria region) are the most powerful players. Quebec, in contrast, has mainly been dominated over the last decades by Cosa Nostra (Sicilian) mob families — namely the Rizzuto clan.

In Toronto, the 'Ndrangheta and Cosa Nostra appear to coexist more easily, Amato said, and even assist each other — when it suits them.

"Obviously, at times there's conflicts," added the 25-year police veteran. "There's murder, there's violence, there's bombings."

Much of this internal strife is undetectable by law enforcement agencies, however, because the Ontario mobsters tend to stay "under the radar," Amato said.

"Every so often, you might see that someone who was walking straight is now walking crooked. ... There is violence, but it's undetected and it's unknown to us."

In many ways, Amato's testimony seemed to echo that of Italian scholar Valentina Tenti, who took the stand earlier in the week and gave the commissioners a crash course in the Italian mob, as it exists both in Italy and abroad. Amato confirmed Tenti's assertion that over the years, Mafia organizations around the globe have become increasingly adept at infiltrating the legitimate business market, using restaurants, trucking companies, construction firms and other businesses as fronts for criminal activities behind the scenes.

"They do not operate in the dark, they operate in the light, among us," Amato said. "You have persons who are accountants, bankers, bus drivers, in all sectors of public life.

"They need these legitimate businesses to launder their criminal profits. ... It also allows someone to explain their wealth."

Like Tenti, Amato also stressed that mob families are highly adaptable and flexible organizations, re-structuring and changing tactics as they move into new regions and as technology improves. The Ontario and Quebec organizations may cooperate when it is advantageous to both parties, he said, as has been the case with certain Internet gambling operations.

"As we evolve as a society, so does organized crime," Amato explained. "They're just sometimes quicker and better at it than we are."

Amato completed his testimony during the morning session.

On Thursday afternoon, Justice Charbonneau was asked by a lawyer representing the Coalition Avenir Québec to consider granting the provincial opposition party "participant" status, which would allow their lawyer to cross-examine witnesses. The Parti Québécois and the City of Montreal, among others, have been granted this status. After calling a recess, Charbonneau chose instead to grant the CAQ "intervenor" status, meaning the party will not be allowed to question witnesses, but will be given access to documents before they are entered into evidence and can propose questions to the commission's lawyers.

Yeah, I read that.

It doesn't say that "Ontario is the most corrupt province in Canada, according to the RCMP". At least, this part you posted doesn't, does it?

It just says that the Mafia operates in his home province of Ontario and that it mostly does so "under the radar" as it were.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

The entire testimony is here:
https://www.ceic.gouv.qc.ca/fileadmin/Fichiers_client/fichiers/Transcriptions/Transcription_audience_CEIC_2012-09-20.pdf

There is still no basis to say Quebec is the most corrupt provine, Ontario seems to have the same problem, but they don't want to admit it.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on October 02, 2012, 10:24:51 AM
The entire testimony is here:
https://www.ceic.gouv.qc.ca/fileadmin/Fichiers_client/fichiers/Transcriptions/Transcription_audience_CEIC_2012-09-20.pdf

There is still no basis to say Quebec is the most corrupt provine, Ontario seems to have the same problem, but they don't want to admit it.

No-one denies Ontario (and other provinces) have issues with the Mafia, bikers, and other gangsters.

The problem with Quebec is not that they have mafia and others do not, it is more generally with political corruption - particularly under the Liberals.

This is hardly a secret. The Liberals were just handed a major election defeat, in part because of their lamentable record of corruption.

Neil

Of course there is.  Francophones are naturally more corrupt than more advanced races.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on October 02, 2012, 10:51:22 AM
Of course there is.  Francophones are naturally more corrupt than more advanced races.

I know when I spoke French I was overcome with a desire to take bribes, start protection rackets, and put undeserving relatives into positions of authority.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 02, 2012, 10:50:40 AM
No-one denies Ontario (and other provinces) have issues with the Mafia, bikers, and other gangsters.
mafia does not operate alone on its side of the fence, in its own sandbox.  Where there is mafia, there is political&bureaucratic corruption.  Otherwise, they can't freely operate.

QuoteThe problem with Quebec is not that they have mafia and others do not, it is more generally with political corruption - particularly under the Liberals.
So far, only one politician has been accused of corruption and he still is not convicted.

This is hardly a secret. The Liberals were just handed a major election defeat, in part because of their lamentable record of corruption.
55 MPs for the PQ, 50 for the PLQ.  I wouldn't call that a major election defeat, after 9 years and 3 times in government.