Main Menu

Canada to share embassies with Great Britain

Started by viper37, September 25, 2012, 12:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2012, 03:37:30 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 25, 2012, 02:04:13 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 25, 2012, 01:30:54 PM
You're all ignoring the fact that this makes Canada a slave to England!
it does sends that message.  I'm not sure Canada will be seen in a good light in some former colonies, where the Union Jack will be flying high beside the maple leaf.

Any former colonies they should be particular concerned about?

I didn't even know we had colonies.  :(

If they are handing them out, we'd like Florida and Costa Rica. Thanks. :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on September 25, 2012, 04:58:10 PM

You can't have Florida!  :mad:

Cuba's free though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2012, 05:03:04 PM

You can't have Florida!  :mad:

Cuba's free though.

Cigars, rum, hott babes? Or former swampland full of geriatric Canucks and Jews?  :hmm:

Okay, you talked me into it.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

it does sends that message.  I'm not sure Canada will be seen in a good light in some former colonies, where the Union Jack will be flying high beside the maple leaf.

Wasn't there some suggestion at the time of the creation of canada that it should include all british territories in the americas including carribean territories like Jamaica, Barbados and Guyana.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on September 25, 2012, 05:06:43 PM
Wasn't there some suggestion at the time of the creation of canada that it should include all british territories in the americas including carribean territories like Jamaica, Barbados and Guyana.

Canada was pushing for something like this during the Treaty of Versailles as well IIRC.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

It seems a good idea, and apparently there are plans for both countries to do the same with Oz and NZ soon.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Not sure, but at the time of its creation Canada didn't include a lot of modern Canada.  IIRC, it was just the southern parts of Ontario and Quebec, plus the maritime provinces less Newfoundland.  The prarie province and B.C. were added fairly quickly, but they didn't get the Arctic areas until shortly before WWI, and Newfoundland wasn't added until 1949.

Neil

The Northwest Territories and Rupert's Land were transfered from the Hudson's Bay Company to Canada in 1870, 3 years after confederation.  The northern islands were directly controlled by the UK until 1880.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

I heard Alan Goltlieb interviewed this evening about the issue.  I thought he summed it up pretty well - "tempest in a teapot"

viper37

there has often been suggestions that Quebec or Canada (depending on who's suggesting it) buy some tropical island.  Last time, I think it was Turk&Caicos, suggested by a Liberal MP (Federal), but a PQ MP has once suggested, a long, long time ago (end of 70s, early 80s) that we buy our own island once Quebec secede from Canada.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

If Quebec secedes, I rather doubt they'll be buying much of anything.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on September 28, 2012, 03:02:52 PM
This was thought in a time when debt didn't matter, governments spent on anything & everything like there was no tomorrow.  Of course, no one is suggesting this now.  Well, not unless it involves redefining what is "rich" and finding new ways to tax them to death.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

As shielbh says there are already talks about doing this with Australia and NZ too.

Quote"This is a dumb idea. There are many parts of the world where it's best not to be identified with Britain, such as in the Caribbean and Africa where Britain was a colonial power,"

This is an amazingly ignorant quote. There's not many ex-colonies out there where the masses regard Britain badly because of the empire. Britain tends to have pretty good relations with most commonwealth countries.

The truly dodgy thing about this move isn't from the Canadian side but the British side. It really shows the tories being very traditionally tory, boosting the white commonwealth and trying to distance themself from the EU.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2012, 12:01:11 AM
Quote from: Neil on September 28, 2012, 03:02:52 PM
This was thought in a time when debt didn't matter, governments spent on anything & everything like there was no tomorrow.  Of course, no one is suggesting this now.  Well, not unless it involves redefining what is "rich" and finding new ways to tax them to death.
Yeah, a 60% top rate isn't going to endear Quebec to a lot of high earners, and if I were a doctor, the 55% rate would have me getting the fuck out of dodge.

Eddie Teach

What are capital gains tax rates like in Quebec?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?