And we're back!

Main Menu

Canada to share embassies with Great Britain

Started by viper37, September 25, 2012, 12:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 25, 2012, 02:07:12 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 25, 2012, 01:38:35 PM
Nordic countries have been doing this for years. It was the danish embassy that offered me evacuation from china in june 1989, Iceland only had one embassy in asia (japan) at the time.

But seriously... if you are going to show up for G7 meetings you really really are going to have an independent consular system.
If this is a consular ship then where is the ambassador?

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2012, 02:35:46 PM
Does this mean I have to apply to the UK embassy for the paperwork if I wanted to haul ass to Canada?

I'll go ahead and pack your things.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2012, 02:40:59 PM
Does this mean I have to apply to the UK embassy for the paperwork if I wanted to haul ass to Canada?

Fuck if I'm going to stick around for the draft.  Have fun in Vietnam.

Zanza

There is a shared Nordic embassy in Berlin for Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway and Iceland. Nice architecture too.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2012, 02:44:25 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2012, 02:40:59 PM

Fuck if I'm going to stick around for the draft.  Have fun in Vietnam.

Things have changed.  We now deport war refusers back to the US. :showoff:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Zanza on September 25, 2012, 02:46:50 PM
There is a shared Nordic embassy in Berlin for Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway and Iceland. Nice architecture too.

That is different. They have all the different embassies in the one building. But there are five ambassadors in the building. I have a norwegian passport now, but when I'm in a country without a norwegian embassy I can go to any of the other nordic embassies and be treated as if I were a citizen; that is what I mean by consular union.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2012, 02:54:11 PM

We got rid of the draft.  :showoff:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on September 25, 2012, 02:55:33 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 25, 2012, 02:46:50 PM

That is different. They have all the different embassies in the one building. But there are five ambassadors in the building. I have a norwegian passport now, but when I'm in a country without a norwegian embassy I can go to any of the other nordic embassies and be treated as if I were a citizen; that is what I mean by consular union.

It's not all that different.  There will be Canadian consular staff (don't know about a full ambassador) - they will just work out of space in the British embassy.  And vice versa.

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2012, 02:56:14 PM

And that probably explains why we now deport war refusers.

They signed up for the military. They knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2012, 02:56:14 PM

Not the NFL draft.  Though I don't expect that CdM has to worry about getting taken in that one.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2012, 02:34:04 PM
Generally speaking you have to make it to the actual country in order to seek refugee status.  So if you want to seek asylum in Canada, your brit would have to fly to Canada.
you can seek asylum at any embassy or military ship, no?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on September 25, 2012, 03:16:27 PM
Generally speaking you have to make it to the actual country in order to seek refugee status.  So if you want to seek asylum in Canada, your brit would have to fly to Canada.
you can seek asylum at any embassy or military ship.

can and can.... Norway refuses all requests for asylum made at embassies and doesn't let non-nato furriners anywhere near her military ships
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

For Canada, no.

You are required to claim refugee status when you first enter the country.  That's because we don't want to have the "Julian Assange stuck in the embassy" problem in part, but also because of the "first safe country" rule - you're supposed to claim refugee status in the first "safe" country you enter, and not pick and choose.

dps

You can request asylum anywhere you happen to be.  But if you're sitting in a jail cell in LA, asking the jailer for asylum in Bangladesh isn't going to do a lick of good.  :P:

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 25, 2012, 02:04:13 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 25, 2012, 01:30:54 PM
You're all ignoring the fact that this makes Canada a slave to England!
it does sends that message.  I'm not sure Canada will be seen in a good light in some former colonies, where the Union Jack will be flying high beside the maple leaf.

Any former colonies they should be particular concerned about?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."