News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canada to share embassies with Great Britain

Started by viper37, September 25, 2012, 12:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Yeah for colony status! :)
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/amid-criticism-baird-defends-canada-u-k-shared-embassy-agreement-1.969486

A former Canadian ambassador slammed the plan as "stupid" while Bob Rae said Canada was "receding" from the world stage under Prime Minister Stephen Harper's leadership.
"This is a dumb idea. There are many parts of the world where it's best not to be identified with Britain, such as in the Caribbean and Africa where Britain was a colonial power," Louis Delvoie, a former Canadian ambassador and current diplomatic relations expert at Queen's University, said in a statement.
Of course, the English Canadians think it's the best move ever done.
In Quebec, we are left wondering, why, of all the countries in the world, it had to be the Empire.

But Canada will close some embassie, share locations with some other and exchange services with some.

Cost wise, it's a sound move.  However, we could have made this pact with Australia.  But they chose the Motherland, just to reasses Canada's status as a colony.  It's not like UK embassies are safe, they're probably the 2nd most likely to be attacked after those of the US.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Us would have been a better option, but people would never accept it (probably us wouldn't either). The other only Anglo nation in the same sphere of influence is the uk.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

These kind of diplomatic sharing of resources are fairly common.  Canada is now going to be represented in Iran by Italy, IIRC.  And it goes both ways - the UK will be represented in Haiti by Canada.

Why UK, not Australia?  I doubt very much that Australia has as wide a diplomatic reach as even Canada, never mind UK.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: HVC on September 25, 2012, 12:51:16 PM
Us would have been a better option, but people would never accept it (probably us wouldn't either). The other only Anglo nation in the same sphere of influence is the uk.

We aren't sharing our embassies with you. You people blew your chance in 1812.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on September 25, 2012, 12:53:11 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 25, 2012, 12:51:16 PM

We aren't sharing our embassies with you. You people blew your chance in 1812.

I wouldn't be surprised if we do not share with them already somewhere.

But Canada should be sharing embassies with France.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

What does this mean for the Embassy in London?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

You're all ignoring the fact that this makes Canada a slave to England!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on September 25, 2012, 01:30:54 PM
You're all ignoring the fact that this makes Canada a slave to England!

The fact that every statement and action the Canadian Federal Government makes is a direct order from Buckingham Palace is such common knowledge and generally known there is no reason to continue to discuss it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 25, 2012, 01:30:36 PM
What does this mean for the Embassy in London?

We don't have an embassy in London.   :cool:

CountDeMoney

Awww, Canada thinks it's people.

Retreating from the world stage.  Leading from behind.  Apologizing for Canada.

Viking

Nordic countries have been doing this for years. It was the danish embassy that offered me evacuation from china in june 1989, Iceland only had one embassy in asia (japan) at the time.

But seriously... if you are going to show up for G7 meetings you really really are going to have an independent consular system.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on September 25, 2012, 01:38:35 PM
Nordic countries have been doing this for years. It was the danish embassy that offered me evacuation from china in june 1989, Iceland only had one embassy in asia (japan) at the time.

But seriously... if you are going to show up for G7 meetings you really really are going to have an independent consular system.

We have an independent consular system.  Wiki even has a map: