News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

{+5 jockstrap} RPG's Y'all!

Started by Ed Anger, August 29, 2012, 01:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on September 01, 2012, 06:40:19 PM
I kinda of found 40k silly rather then dark.  It really feels like something aimed at 15 year old boys.  I guess if you are into overwrought purple prose drama, it's okay.  Some of the models are good though.

PURGE THE HERETIC
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

I have to embrace my inner 15 year old sometimes.

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 01, 2012, 06:54:42 PM

It was an odd line by Raz.  I mean the only reason I like Traveller is because I LOVED it when I was 12 (not even 15).  So I fully support embracing your inner pre-teen.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2012, 06:56:03 PM

It was an odd line by Raz.  I mean the only reason I like Traveller is because I LOVED it when I was 12 (not even 15).  So I fully support embracing your inner pre-teen.

This recent buying splurge is a tribute to the old Ed. The one who would play wargames by day, and deflower girls by night.

I miss him sooooooooo much.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 01, 2012, 05:57:25 PM
Bah, WH40K'a only been around since 1987, and while Traveller may be crunchier, the sheer brutal and unmitigated horror of the WH40K universe trumps it.
It's like playing in the middle of the cut scenes of Event Horizon:P

You should try reading the over-wrought shite that is this Traveller: 1248 scenario.  Emperor Lucan gets downloaded into a computer forming the Black Imperium.  The K'kree (by the way my favourite race) go on an intergalactic jihad to exterminate meat-eaters.  Capital gets conquered and re-conquered about six or seven times within 20 years.  Emperor Strephon's son returns from the galactic beyond to form the Fourth Imperium.

And yes - it was oficially licensed.

Yet I can't stop reading. :shame:

Ed Anger

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2012, 06:56:03 PM

Eh, just my feeling.  Stuff I liked when I was 15 (or what ever age) I don't necessarily like now.  I still like RPGs, but a setting where everyone has a skull motif like it's Halloween doesn't have the same impact as it once did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

For more fun genocide, the Battletech Jihad books are amusing. If you can stand the writing style.

Writer 1: I LIKE NUKES
Writer 2: I LIKE POISON GAS

Razgovory

I try to avoid books by game publishers.  I read some of the D&D ones.  Bleh.  Even at age 15 (actually don't know how old I was.  Probably under 15), I thought they sucked.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on September 01, 2012, 07:34:41 PM
I try to avoid books by game publishers.  I read some of the D&D ones.  Bleh.  Even at age 15 (actually don't know how old I was.  Probably under 15), I thought they sucked.

Indeed.  While I read several, I realized they were generally crap.

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on September 01, 2012, 06:40:19 PM
I kinda of found 40k silly rather then dark.  It really feels like something aimed at 15 year old boys. 

I'm telling Him on Terra.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

40k is so dark as to be almost ridiculous.  Out of all the peoples of the universe, only the Eldar aren't morally abhorrent.  The Tau and the Empire are space Nazis, the Tyrannids are evil from beyond space, the Orks are murderous barbarians, everyone related to Chaos is actively engaged in the gleeful commission of attrocities and the Necrons went from being tragic ancient monsters deceived by evil gods to being retarded mummies in space.

You can't really compare it to Traveller though, as Traveller occasionally has events and a narrative, like the Rebellion.  In 40k, nothing changes and the whole universe is just a prop to sell models and fight battles with miniatures.  Totally different animals.

As for the Virus, I felt that it was Traveller changing with the times.  The older school sci-fi of adventuring within a great space empire doesn't really fit with a lot of people these days who don't have experience with stuff from the 60s and 70s.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 01, 2012, 07:29:52 PM
For more fun genocide, the Battletech Jihad books are amusing. If you can stand the writing style.

Writer 1: I LIKE NUKES
Writer 2: I LIKE POISON GAS
Battletech books were fucking awful.

Victor Steiner-Davion can fucking die.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

I was talking about the source books, not the novels.  :yuk:

I read the source books for entertainment. And wonder what people was on when they wrote them.