Was that the lamest Opening Ceremony EVER?

Started by Berkut, July 27, 2012, 11:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2012, 04:55:29 PM
It's a valid point.  NBC thought the American audience would get freaked out by lebiang mouth sex.  The towelheads let it go.

The bit about the US censorship, sure.  The comparison? Not so much, unless the expectation is that Western states (and corporations therein) have to be more liberal on everything than states typically viewed as conservative.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2012, 04:58:06 PM
The bit about the US censorship, sure.  The comparison? Not so much, unless the expectation is that Western states (and corporations therein) have to be more liberal on everything than states typically viewed as conservative.

Of course that's the expectation, at least when it comes to sexuality. :mellow:

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2012, 05:02:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2012, 04:58:06 PM

Of course that's the expectation, at least when it comes to sexuality. :mellow:

Is it though? Wasn't too long ago that we still had sodomy laws in effect across the country.  Also give that we have media outlets like Fox News, I'd suggest that such isn't expected of our media sources.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2012, 05:06:27 PM
Is it though? Wasn't too long ago that we still had sodomy laws in effect across the country.

We still do, you naughty, naughty sodomite.

katmai

Quote from: Brazen on July 29, 2012, 01:37:52 PM
From The Sunday Times:

QuoteThe Americans have got off to a rather mean-spirited start at these Olympics. After Mitt Romney's doubts over whether Britain was ready for the Games, NBC edited out the "memorial wall" section of the ceremony and also censored Anna Friels' lesbian kiss from Brookside. Saudi Arabia was far more liberal and left the broadcast untouched.

I keep hearing this yet i saw the kiss clearly on the NBC broadcast. :huh:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2012, 11:44:42 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2012, 10:01:29 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 28, 2012, 02:57:36 PM
Syria got no cheer from what I heard.

How'd the Saudi team--the only one prohibiting females from competition--go over?

They have women athletes there this time.

Lets not go over board on this one, it's one athlete and iirc she was born in the USA and has duel citizenship, so I'm guessing she possibly speaks with a preppy accent and possibly attends beach parties, so not your typical Saudi. 

So all told the 'concession' these corrupt princes acceded to was barely a nod to the 20th century.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2012, 05:09:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2012, 05:06:27 PM
Is it though? Wasn't too long ago that we still had sodomy laws in effect across the country.

We still do, you naughty, naughty sodomite.

:unsure:

garbon

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on July 29, 2012, 05:09:30 PM
Lets not go over board on this one, it's one athlete and iirc she was born in the USA and has duel citizenship, so I'm guessing she possibly speaks with a preppy accent and possibly attends beach parties, so not your typical Saudi. 

So all told the 'concession' these corrupt princes acceded to was barely a nod to the 20th century.

If you're trying to rebut the point that Saudi Arabia has now started to produce female athletes capable of competing at the world level, this works very well.  Not so well if you're trying to rebut the point that Saudi acceptance of female athletic representation at the Olympics marks a possibly important turning point in terms of cultural and official acceptance of female athletic activity.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2012, 05:25:18 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 29, 2012, 05:09:30 PM

If you're trying to rebut the point that Saudi Arabia has now started to produce female athletes capable of competing at the world level, this works very well.  Not so well if you're trying to rebut the point that Saudi acceptance of female athletic representation at the Olympics marks a possibly important turning point in terms of cultural and official acceptance of female athletic activity.

No my point is it's a one off, the minimum jesture, I'd wager there are no female Saudi athletes at the next games.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on July 29, 2012, 05:58:04 PM
No my point is it's a one off, the minimum jesture, I'd wager there are no female Saudi athletes at the next games.

The next games are the winter games.  :lol:

Not sure how the Saudi athletes place of residence and accent advance that argument either.

But sure, if you'd like to bet some real money on at least one Saudi female at the next summer games I'll take that bet.