Was that the lamest Opening Ceremony EVER?

Started by Berkut, July 27, 2012, 11:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on July 28, 2012, 09:19:16 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2012, 04:26:41 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 28, 2012, 04:23:27 PM
Question:  Who would be a British sporting hero?  The guy who came in second at Wimbledon maybe?  All their soccer players are tainted by failure.  What sort of sports does Britain do well at?

Roger Bannister for one.

I was going to suggest Daley Thompson, but yeah, Bannister is a good choice, too.

At any rate, I also found the opening lame.  In fact, I turned off the sound after about 2 minutes, then after a few more moments, looked away until it was time for the parade of nations.  In the past, the parade of nations has generally been the only part of the opening that I've actually enjoyed, but in other Olympiads I've been at least able to watch the rest of the ceremony.

What was it about the sound you didnt like?  I thought the music was great throughout and the kids choir off the top - about the time you turned down the sound was amazing.

The one thing I found curious was the camera spent so much time on the capitalists during the industrial revolution bit.  I thought of Sheilbh and mongers when I saw that.  Just as I thought of a whole host of our American friends when I saw the tribute to the National Health Service.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Syt

Quote from: Neil on July 28, 2012, 04:23:27 PM
Question:  Who would be a British sporting hero?  The guy who came in second at Wimbledon maybe?  All their soccer players are tainted by failure.  What sort of sports does Britain do well at?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 28, 2012, 02:33:45 PM
Can someone tell me what the people at the front of each national delegation were carrying?  Alien pod?  Gigantic beef liver?

You missed the most symbolic thing of the whole evening. Those petals or whatever became the cauldron.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on July 28, 2012, 01:27:23 AM
I read on twitter that the US was the only country to not bow their flag to the queen.  Anyone else hear that?

according to the United States Flag Code:

§176. Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

That's federal law.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2012, 09:57:20 AM
I read on twitter that the US was the only country to not bow their flag to the queen.  Anyone else hear that?

§176. Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

That's federal law.

Isn't that a conceit, it assumes the act of slightly dipping a flag is implicitly disrespectful to the said flag.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 28, 2012, 02:57:36 PM
Syria got no cheer from what I heard.

How'd the Saudi team--the only one prohibiting females from competition--go over?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on July 29, 2012, 10:01:10 AM
That's federal law.

QuoteIsn't that a conceit, it assumes the act of slightly dipping a flag is implicitly disrespectful to the said flag.

Fuck conceit.  We bowed to your flag once.  Never again.  To anybody.  And our flag = us.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2012, 10:02:39 AM
That's federal law.

QuoteIsn't that a conceit, it assumes the act of slightly dipping a flag is implicitly disrespectful to the said flag.

Fuck conceit.  We bowed to your flag once.  Never again.  To anybody.  And our flag = us.

Or national strawman ?

garbon

Isn't that a conceit, it assumes the act of slightly dipping a flag is implicitly disrespectful to the said flag.

Well, of course. You're immediately making it defer to a person.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

§176. Respect for flag

That's federal law.
London is out of your jurisdiction.  But there's no field in which the Americans will pass up an opportunity to make an ass of themselves.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on July 28, 2012, 11:18:04 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2012, 10:19:19 PM

What was it about the sound you didnt like? 

Bob Costas

Ah, fair enough.  Too bad you couldnt pick up another broadcast.

mongers

Quote from: Neil on July 29, 2012, 10:36:28 AM

§176. Respect for flag

That's federal law.
London is out of your jurisdiction.  But there's no field in which the Americans will pass up an opportunity to make an ass of themselves.

QFT.

:D