Main Menu

Best and worst crimes for employment?

Started by Capetan Mihali, July 23, 2012, 05:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2012, 02:58:12 PM
Jesus, is there any thread that lawyers won't take over?  :rolleyes:

Go recruit an actuary posse.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Gosh I hope not. :o
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 30, 2012, 01:21:42 PM
You never did a Plaintiff's case before becoming a prosecutor did you....

What happens is that the Plaintiff must pay a fee related the court costs for the trial.  If the Plaintiff wins then those costs are reimbursed by the Defendant.  If the Plaintiff loses then of course they are sol.

So in light of Malthus' post, care to retract your scepticism of my legal skills?   :cool:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 30, 2012, 03:06:20 PM

What happens is that the Plaintiff must pay a fee related the court costs for the trial.  If the Plaintiff wins then those costs are reimbursed by the Defendant.  If the Plaintiff loses then of course they are sol.

So in light of Malthus' post, care to retract your scepticism of my legal skills?   :cool:

No.  You practised in a jursidiction that charged court fees for years.

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on July 30, 2012, 02:59:17 PM

Believe it or not, that has been done before. :ph34r: Five years ago I was one of many actuaries involved in the troll invasion of another forum, to avenge the unfair banning of one of our own.  It actually worked, as the banned actuary was reinstated.  They knew better than to mess with us.  :menace:

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 30, 2012, 03:06:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 30, 2012, 03:06:20 PM

No.  You practised in a jursidiction that charged court fees for years.

:yeahright:

Which years would those be?

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2012, 03:14:49 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 30, 2012, 02:59:17 PM

Believe it or not, that has been done before. :ph34r: Five years ago I was one of many actuaries involved in the troll invasion of another forum, to avenge the unfair banning of one of our own.  It actually worked, as the banned actuary was reinstated.  They knew better than to mess with us.  :menace:

"Do as we say or we'll change our assessment of your financial security systems"?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Question for CC: what's the current status of court fees following the ruling?

crazy canuck

@BB the years you were a lawyer in the Yukon.

@Malthus.  I am not entirely sure if this is being appealed or not.  I assume the government will appeal.  In the meantime the registry is not collecting the fees but what might happen with all those cases for which fees were not collected if the Court of Appeal reverses the decision is an interesting question.

An alternative is that the government may just increase other filing fees to make up the shortfall.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 30, 2012, 03:56:04 PM
@BB the years you were a lawyer in the Yukon.

@Malthus.  I am not entirely sure if this is being appealed or not.  I assume the government will appeal.  In the meantime the registry is not collecting the fees but what might happen with all those cases for which fees were not collected if the Court of Appeal reverses the decision is an interesting question.

An alternative is that the government may just increase other filing fees to make up the shortfall.

Ah, but my membership in LSY is specifically limited to only working for the government.  I can advise I have not done any civil litigation work, ever, in the Yukon.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on July 30, 2012, 04:49:07 PM
I can advise I have not done any civil litigation work, ever, in the Yukon.

BB: "My advice to you is get the hell out of the Yukon before you freeze your nuts off, and one of them rolls down your pants leg and across the street."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on July 30, 2012, 09:01:01 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 28, 2012, 12:38:01 AM
Once the cops are called... Well this gets back to my original question.  Mental issues, first time offender... why the hell does the system care?  Should be withdrawn, no problem.

But someone with mental issues who repeatedly shoplifts?  Then there's a place for the ciminal justice system.  That doesn't mean jail, necessarily.  But something needs to be done.

Mihali, you never responded to this.

Well, I agreed with your conclusion that something needs to be done, so didn't feel I needed to.  :P

Jail might actually make more sense than endless probation and trespassing charges.  But short of permanently institutionalizing chronic shoplifters, stores are going to have to keep throwing them out of the establishment.  Sending someone through the criminal justice cycle doesn't seem to contribute all that much.

Shoplifting is actually kind of an interesting crime, since I think the people committing it do so for a really wide variety of reasons.

At one end, there are a small number of true kleptomaniacs, who steal the same way other people pull their hair out.  I met one woman like this a few months ago. Then there are the more broadly mentally-impaired people who steal crap for other psychological reasons, even just "acting out," like the woman in the example.

At the other end, there are the professional boosters.  Only steal good black-market resale items, work in teams, do a lot of damage, know how to fence the goods.  Then the other resale-oriented thieves, with varying levels of aptitude.

In the middle are all the other flavors.  Just wanted something they couldn't afford; stealing for the thrill; stealing to get Christmas presents; etc.  It's well-known anecdotally that middle-class and wealthy people frequently get caught stealing things they could easily afford to buy (e.g. Winona Ryder).  And of course teenagers are always stealing shit for a variety of reasons.

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)