News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best and worst crimes for employment?

Started by Capetan Mihali, July 23, 2012, 05:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on July 30, 2012, 08:23:19 AM
Right. Do I really need to post a wealth distribution chart?

Point taken.  The counterarguments I was thinking of originally were more on the criminal side than the civil side.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2012, 11:02:17 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on July 30, 2012, 08:23:19 AM
Right. Do I really need to post a wealth distribution chart?

Point taken.  The counterarguments I was thinking of originally were more on the criminal side than the civil side.

Yeah, you were saying something about law enforcement resources and then lawsuits involving Microsoft were brought up, and I was thinking that except for maybe process servers, not much law enforcement resources are used in civil cases.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on July 30, 2012, 11:21:03 AM
Yeah, you were saying something about law enforcement resources and then lawsuits involving Microsoft were brought up, and I was thinking that except for maybe process servers, not much law enforcement resources are used in civil cases.

I think I mentioned judicial resources as well.

Open question: who pays for court costs in a civil case?  Is that on the state?

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2012, 11:24:14 AM

Generally, I think that the losing side is assessed court costs.  It's not universal, though.  And I think it's more likely if the plaintiff loses.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on July 30, 2012, 11:27:03 AM

Generally, I think that the losing side is assessed court costs.  It's not universal, though.  And I think it's more likely if the plaintiff loses.

Costs refers to paying the winners costs.  We (at least here) don't have a system where anyone pays the costs of the courthouse itself.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

In Polish legal system the plaintiff has to pay a deposit (which, in principle, is based on the value of the claim asserted in the lawsuit, but in some cases which are less financial, the deposit is a fixed fee dependent on the type of the case); likewise, when an appeal is lodged, there is an obligation to pay a deposit; you can motion to have the obligation to pay the deposit waived if you are destitute (plus in some cases the waiver is automatic, e.g. in alimony, consumer or employment cases).

When the plaintiff (or the apellant, respectively) then loses the case, the deposit is forfeit (or, if the deposit had been waived, it must be paid); if he wins the case, the deposit is returned and the losing side must pay it instead.

This is in addition to the winning side being awarded the legal costs (which are capped however) from the losing side.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on July 30, 2012, 10:13:55 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 30, 2012, 10:09:49 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 28, 2012, 12:38:01 AM
Hell my 2 year old has okay notions of ownership.

"MINE, MINE, MINE!!"?

:P

Sometimes. :D

But he can be satisfied at times if we say "no Tim, that is Baby Andrew's blanket" or "we can't play with that toy it belongs to someone else".
I guess he knows his dad wouldn't offer him a good plea bargain if he takes other people's stuff. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 30, 2012, 11:34:35 AM

Costs refers to paying the winners costs.  We (at least here) don't have a system where anyone pays the costs of the courthouse itself.

You never did a Plaintiff's case before becoming a prosecutor did you....

What happens is that the Plaintiff must pay a fee related the court costs for the trial.  If the Plaintiff wins then those costs are reimbursed by the Defendant.  If the Plaintiff loses then of course they are sol.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 30, 2012, 01:21:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 30, 2012, 11:34:35 AM

You never did a Plaintiff's case before becoming a prosecutor did you....

What happens is that the Plaintiff must pay a fee related the court costs for the trial.  If the Plaintiff wins then those costs are reimbursed by the Defendant.  If the Plaintiff loses then of course they are sol.

Isn't that only if a Security for Costs order has been made?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 30, 2012, 01:41:21 PM

No security for costs are to secure the costs of the opposing party. They have nothing to do with paying the Court fees.  Court fees are generally paid for by the Plaintiff in advance.  The fees are set out in a Tarriff of fees.   They do not amount to the full cost of running the Court but does provide some money for that purpose.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 30, 2012, 02:42:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 30, 2012, 01:41:21 PM

No security for costs are to secure the costs of the opposing party. They have nothing to do with paying the Court fees.  Court fees are generally paid for by the Plaintiff in advance.  The fees are set out in a Tarriff of fees.   They do not amount to the full cost of running the Court but does provide some money for that purpose.

:hmm: I wonder if that's the same in Alberta?  I never ran a plaintiff's case in QB (nor defence, though I did at least have conduct of such files) and I don't remember any such fee. :hmm:

Barrister

Going through the Alberta Rules of Court Tariff of Fees I don't see anything beyond the $200 to file a claim.

Malthus

You may find this of interest:

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Mulgrew+hefty+civil+court+fees+struck+down+unconstitutional/6661611/story.html

Court fees are mainly a BC thing. Or were, given that this ruling allegedly struck them down as unconsitutional.

But B.C. hadn't collected hearing-day fees since before the First World War and the present levies were imposed only in 1998.

The only other Canadian jurisdictions imposing hearing fees (though at much lower levels) are Saskatchewan, Yukon and the Northwest Territories.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Jesus, is there any thread that lawyers won't take over?  :rolleyes: