Was that the lamest Opening Ceremony EVER?

Started by Berkut, July 27, 2012, 11:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Why Danny Boyle? The Chinese bring out Zhang Yimou and Spielberg, and the Brits bring ojt the guy who did The Beach.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on July 29, 2012, 11:10:54 AM
Why Danny Boyle? The Chinese bring out Zhang Yimou and Spielberg, and the Brits bring ojt the guy who did The Beach.

You are a retard.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2012, 10:01:29 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 28, 2012, 02:57:36 PM
Syria got no cheer from what I heard.

How'd the Saudi team--the only one prohibiting females from competition--go over?

They have women athletes there this time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2012, 11:44:42 AM

How'd the Saudi team--the only one prohibiting females from competition--go over?

Yeah, the Saudis got a big cheer. It was for the women.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on July 29, 2012, 10:01:10 AM
Isn't that a conceit, it assumes the act of slightly dipping a flag is implicitly disrespectful to the said flag.

It's the same conceit that the Royal Navy used to force on foreign ships sailing through the Channel.  It's the same conceit the first British ambassador to China refused to honor.

Like I said earlier, the US has not been dipping the flag during the parade since the early 20th century, and most people around the world seem to have accepted it as a quirky anomoly.  The fact that you and Neil are getting worked up about it probably says more about you than the act.

Brazen

From The Sunday Times:

QuoteThe Americans have got off to a rather mean-spirited start at these Olympics. After Mitt Romney's doubts over whether Britain was ready for the Games, NBC edited out the "memorial wall" section of the ceremony and also censored Anna Friels' lesbian kiss from Brookside. Saudi Arabia was far more liberal and left the broadcast untouched.

China, through its state news agency Xinhua, damned with faint praise saying the whole world "appreciates a sumptuous banquet of British culture". But it also reported that two of its journalists believed the London Games were "the most mean and stingy Olympics in history".

garbon

QuoteSaudi Arabia was far more liberal and left the broadcast untouched.

OK?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

In Saudi Arabia only untouched broadcasts are permitted.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Brazen on July 29, 2012, 01:37:52 PM
But it also reported that two of its journalists believed the London Games were "the most mean and stingy Olympics in history".
They must have been talking about the 1948 Olympics.  Either that or Chinese people are stupid, journalists are stupid and chink journalists are doubly so.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2012, 01:58:43 PM

OK?

How else are you going to show how morally bankrupt and godless the infidels are?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 29, 2012, 12:50:49 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2012, 11:44:42 AM

Yeah, the Saudis got a big cheer. It was for the women.

Surprising.  Good for the Saudis, finally joining the 11th century.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2012, 03:00:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2012, 01:58:43 PM

OK?

How else are you going to show how morally bankrupt and godless the infidels are?

I don't understand what point the article was trying to make.  OMG, USA is worse than ISLAM?! :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

It's a valid point.  NBC thought the American audience would get freaked out by lebiang mouth sex.  The towelheads let it go.

Though I do wonder if the folks at Saudi TV were oblivious, sort of like Queen Victoria.

Queequeg

Quote from: Martinus on July 29, 2012, 11:20:44 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on July 29, 2012, 11:10:54 AM

You are a retard.
You're a bigger idiot than I thought if you think Raise the Red Lantern and 28 Days Later are in the same zip code.
Besides that, Zhang's eye is up there with Malick or Lean. Boyle is fanous for his visual incpherence.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."