Was that the lamest Opening Ceremony EVER?

Started by Berkut, July 27, 2012, 11:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Warspite on July 30, 2012, 07:01:17 AM
Not much you can do about this if the IOC insists on certain numbers of tickets going to people who may or may not use them.

Yes, it is not a very democratic process. The best seats appear to go to various "dignitaries" that can't even be bothered to turn up most of the time.

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 30, 2012, 07:59:52 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2012, 06:35:29 AM
British troops already were attending women's gymnastics Sunday morning, Coe said.

What, no Siege jokes?  :P

Too easy. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on July 30, 2012, 01:16:53 AM
How many times have you seen Red Sorghum?  Just because you're gay and wealthy dpesn't automatically make you cultured, and just because you jerked off to McGregor in Trainspotting doesn't make it anything more than the flawed film it is.  If you spent more time trying to become a cultured asshat and less time pretending to be one you might be able to have a real conversation on this-but to be honest I'm pretty sure you've never seen a Chinese film without martial arts.

And just because you become a dairy factory over just about anything from the large continent that is Asia, doesn't make you cultured either. :console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on July 30, 2012, 02:46:09 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2012, 01:50:39 AM
Trainspotting was brilliant from start to finish.  Agree about 28 Days Later.

This. Dissing the author of Trainspotting, especially if you contrast him with Spielberg (who is good at making blockbusters, but there is nothing original or creative in his cinema) or some Chinese dude noone has ever heard about (not to mention, neither of them being a Brit), makes you retarded.

Hm.  I was going to go with either genetics, being dropped on his head too many times, or perhaps his mother being malnurished while pregnant with him.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 30, 2012, 08:01:05 AM
Not much you can do about this if the IOC insists on certain numbers of tickets going to people who may or may not use them.

Yes, it is not a very democratic process. The best seats appear to go to various "dignitaries" that can't even be bothered to turn up most of the time.

It was a real problem here too.  Our organizing committee quickly told them to confirm they would use them or lose them.  Most lost their tickets and those were put back on sale to the public.  The IOC may have made changes in between the two games to ensure a local organizing committee couldnt do that again - hence the empty seats.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 30, 2012, 09:05:00 AM

It was a real problem here too.  Our organizing committee quickly told them to confirm they would use them or lose them.  Most lost their tickets and those were put back on sale to the public.  The IOC may have made changes in between the two games to ensure a local organizing committee couldnt do that again - hence the empty seats.

While the IOC is most certainly corrupt, reserving certain blocks of tickets in-and-of itself isn't corrupt.  But insisting on reserving those tickets for people who admit that they aren't going to use them is just plain stupid.

alfred russel

I think the opening and closing ceremonies generally suck--conveying your country's history and culture through interpretive dance and song in an athletic stadium, while doing some athletic housekeeping stuff--it is rather awkward. I wish they would hold it to under 60 minutes, but beyond that what more could you ask for?

I'm certain these games will be remembered as a great organizational success, if only because Brazil is on deck.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on July 30, 2012, 09:51:04 AM
I think the opening and closing ceremonies generally suck--conveying your country's history and culture through interpretive dance and song in an athletic stadium, while doing some athletic housekeeping stuff--it is rather awkward. I wish they would hold it to under 60 minutes, but beyond that what more could you ask for?

I always watch the parade of nations and lighting on the torch, and then little else.  I always watch it after I've recorded it, so I can fast forward through any crap I don't like.  This year they zipped through the parade of nations, which pissed me off. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on July 30, 2012, 09:33:07 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 30, 2012, 09:05:00 AM

While the IOC is most certainly corrupt, reserving certain blocks of tickets in-and-of itself isn't corrupt.  But insisting on reserving those tickets for people who admit that they aren't going to use them is just plain stupid.

Not sure what corruption has to do with it.

It appears that the Brits are now imposing a solution similar to what we did.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/thousands-of-unused-olympic-tickets-now-up-for-grabs/article4449140/

Josephus

Or sponsors, mostly.
the problem is that "comps" are offered to the same sponsors and dignitaries. So, all the sponsors might be at the gymnastics events, and none at the volleyball games, since they can't be at several places at the same time.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Why do you think it mostly sponsors?

The OIC gets a big chunk of tickets.