Was that the lamest Opening Ceremony EVER?

Started by Berkut, July 27, 2012, 11:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on July 29, 2012, 05:58:04 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2012, 05:25:18 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 29, 2012, 05:09:30 PM
Lets not go over board on this one, it's one athlete and iirc she was born in the USA and has duel citizenship, so I'm guessing she possibly speaks with a preppy accent and possibly attends beach parties, so not your typical Saudi. 

So all told the 'concession' these corrupt princes acceded to was barely a nod to the 20th century.

If you're trying to rebut the point that Saudi Arabia has now started to produce female athletes capable of competing at the world level, this works very well.  Not so well if you're trying to rebut the point that Saudi acceptance of female athletic representation at the Olympics marks a possibly important turning point in terms of cultural and official acceptance of female athletic activity.

No my point is it's a one off, the minimum jesture, I'd wager there are no female Saudi athletes at the next games.

The argument made by the Saudis in the face of pressure from the IOC was that they have no women in sport and so it is not possible to include any in the Olympics.  You seem to be supporting their position.

dps

Neil

Quote from: dps on July 29, 2012, 07:37:35 PM
Even if NBC actually had censored it, there'd still be a point to make that it wouldn't have been the government doing the censoring.
NBC got burned by Janet Jackson, and the chilling effect of the FCC listening to Christians is not overt government censorship, but neither is it the sort of thing that a proper government should do.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: katmai on July 29, 2012, 08:10:14 PM
That was CBS you ethnic dumbass
So it was.  Either way, my point stands:  America is silly.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 28, 2012, 05:58:02 PM
It's all a question of em PHA sis.
I don't think your shift changes the emphasis that much :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on July 29, 2012, 11:10:54 AM
Why Danny Boyle? The Chinese bring out Zhang Yimou and Spielberg, and the Brits bring ojt the guy who did The Beach.

He directed a Best Picture winner (Slumdog Millionaire), a cult classic (Trainspotting), and possibly the greatest zombie film ever (28 Days Later). That's versatility.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 29, 2012, 08:55:38 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on July 29, 2012, 11:10:54 AM
Why Danny Boyle? The Chinese bring out Zhang Yimou and Spielberg, and the Brits bring ojt the guy who did The Beach.

He directed a Best Picture winner (Slumdog Millionaire), a cult classic (Trainspotting), and possibly the greatest zombie film ever (28 Days Later). That's versatility.
And I think he had a vision that convinced the organisers and seemed appropriate for a stadium.  I love Malick's work, I can't imagine that it would translate well into a stadium floor show performed by spirited, but not necessarily talented, volunteers.

Edit:  Incidentally on the arty side I think it's very interesting that he took as his text the Caliban speech, rather than the more obvious John of Gaunt speech.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 29, 2012, 08:57:53 PM
I love Malick's work, I can't imagine that it would translate well into a stadium floor show performed by spirited, but not necessarily talented, volunteers.

Not unless you want a stadium full of suddenly sullen volunteers, depressingly contemplating their place in this world.  Talk about a downer.

Monoriu

That was a pretty good opening ceremony, I think.  The James Bond/Queen, Mr Bean, and torch bits were brilliant.  We all know and understand that they can't match the scale of the Beijing Olympic opening, and that's fine.  They took a different approach and did well with the resources at their disposal. 

Admiral Yi

Mono finally gets revenge for the Opium War!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on July 29, 2012, 09:32:17 PM
We all know and understand that they can't match the scale of the Beijing Olympic opening, and that's fine. 

Who'd want to?  Talk about a demonstration in hive mind mentality, devoid of humanity and anima.  Nobody wants to be reminded of a Nuremburg rally during the Olympics.

Queequeg

QuoteI love Malick's work, I can't imagine that it would translate well into a stadium floor show performed by spirited, but not necessarily talented, volunteers.
I wasn't suggesting Malick was a plausible, let alone an ideal, pick to direct an opening ceremony for the Olympics, just that Yimou's skill was comparable to some of the greatest in cinematic history, while I'm very sure that Boyle isn't.  I caught just enough of the opening ceremony to find it incredibly annoying, but given that I have not seen the entire ceremony it would not be fair for me to cast aspersions.
The first was for a largely mediocre crowd pleaser, the second has a few moments of inspiration, and the third is tainted by the incredibly terrible quality of the digital film and a second act that falls apart completely. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."