News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best and worst crimes for employment?

Started by Capetan Mihali, July 23, 2012, 05:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on July 24, 2012, 12:36:21 PM
I could see how it could make some sense.  He obviously can't put Convicted of Manslaughter on his application, it would never see the light of day.  But he could either think he was impressive enough a candidate that he could convince someone to hire him face to face, or he had some sort of ethical/religious/12 step program inability to outright lie about it.  He'd never get a job without putting out applications, and depending on government benefits he may have had ot put out applications, even if he knew he would never get a job.

I agree, you've got to do what you've got to do these days to get past automated systems and HR tards.  I'm just saying he's one poor bastard, and he's gonna be stuck that way.

Iormlund

Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2012, 12:30:20 PM
... which is why DWI is a lot more serious an offence than consuming liquor in public.

And sadly, drunken homeless bums cause a huge number of nuisance offences.  Are they killing people?  No, but it is the kind of behaviour that is very public and off-putting to a large number of people.

I stil don't get it. If those homeless drunks are offending, why the need to penalize drinking in the first place?

Quite frankly, it reeks of moralism of the worst kind.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Iormlund on July 24, 2012, 12:41:23 PM

:lol:  Open container laws = moralism of the worst kind. 

Only in Europe, Land of the Legitimized Kiddie Ass Blasters.

garbon

And sadly, drunken homeless bums cause a huge number of nuisance offences.  Are they killing people?  No, but it is the kind of behaviour that is very public and off-putting to a large number of people.

Can you give some examples? I've no idea if she was drunk or not but the homeless woman who peed over the grate outside my office building wasn't drinking at the time.

Also, most people aren't the homeless drinking on sidewalks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: sbr on July 24, 2012, 12:36:21 PM
I could see how it could make some sense.  He obviously can't put Convicted of Manslaughter on his application, it would never see the light of day.  But he could either think he was impressive enough a candidate that he could convince someone to hire him face to face, or he had some sort of ethical/religious/12 step program inability to outright lie about it.  He'd never get a job without putting out applications, and depending on government benefits he may have had ot put out applications, even if he knew he would never get a job.
Yeah, a lot of people go to interviews because they have to at least try to pretend that they're trying to find a job.  Since he admitted to me he was in some sort of halfway house, it occurred to me that they might require their residents to at least try to find something.... it's also usually a state unemployment requirement as well (and definitely is in Kentucky).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2012, 12:43:54 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on July 24, 2012, 12:41:23 PM

:lol:  Open container laws = moralism of the worst kind. 

Only in Europe, Land of the Legitimized Kiddie Ass Blasters.

Berlin's open container laws seemed a lot more sensible.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2012, 12:53:53 PM

Can you give some examples? I've no idea if she was drunk or not but the homeless woman who peed over the grate outside my office building wasn't drinking at the time.

Petty thefts, damage to property, minor assaults, that kind of thing.

And Iorm - the idea of banning public drinking is to prevent people before they cause problems.  Just like the idea of banning drunk driving is to prevent people before they cause accidents.

Of course most people aren't homeless drunks - which is why most people drink inside their homes or in bars.  Which is why the huge majority of open liquor tickets are given to homeless people and underage kids.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2012, 12:58:29 PM

Sober homeless people don't do any of those.  Good to know.

derspiess

Ages ago I was with the wife & some of her Argie friends somewhere in Manhattan when one of them said they fancied a beer.  I knew of a pretty nice bar a couple blocks away, but when we got there I was informed that they didn't want to pay "so much money" to drink at a bar and that they'd rather just grab a 6-pack across the street and drink it on the sidewalk.  Took about 10 minutes of arguing with them to get my point across that it's not done here (except by homeless guys in the alley) and is illegal in most places. 

Argies are great people, but FFS they don't seem to get it that you don't do everything the same way here as you do in other places.  And I'm always the crazy or uptight (take your pick) one who gets to try to set them straight.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on July 24, 2012, 01:00:09 PM
Argies are great people, but FFS they don't seem to get it that you don't do everything the same way here as you do in other places.
That's funny, because doesn't most of the world accuse Americans of behaving pretty much the same way?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: sbr on July 24, 2012, 12:59:23 PM

Not to the same degree.  Sober homeless people tend to keep to themselves.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Yeah that's why I wanted his examples. Sounds like things that homeless people do in general.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2012, 01:03:48 PM

Not to the same degree.  Sober homeless people tend to keep to themselves.

Perhaps you have a different type of homeless up North. I'm not sure I've seen many homeless people who keep to themselves.

garbon

Anyway point is that it seems rather odd that all drinking in all public places is banned because drunk homeless people will act up. Pretty sure homeless people still drink outside as that's where they always are. :mellow:

Malthus

I assume that "open container" prohibitions are just another tool for the cops to use to deal with people they determine are going to be a problem anyway.

Well-heeled folks standing on the sidewalk outside the patio of a trendy bar with glasses of expensive wine in their hands - how likely are they to get ticketed by the cops?  ;)

In some places at least in Canada, drug laws tend to work the same way ... if you are menacing-looking, poor, or aboriginal (or likely all three) chances of legal problems with booze or drugs are much greater. Upper Middle class types smoking a joint (or snorting a line in toilet stalls of a trendy College Street bar in Toronto in the '90s?) Not generally a problem.

In terms of equality and social justice, of course, this sucks. It isn't even a case of "rich and poor alike prohibited from sleeping under bridges". It's the opposite really - discretionary application of laws to target the poor. However, strict application of the law evenhandedly would be worse.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius