And we're back!

Main Menu

Best and worst crimes for employment?

Started by Capetan Mihali, July 23, 2012, 05:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on July 24, 2012, 02:40:10 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 24, 2012, 01:53:34 PM
The idea that I should be subject to CopWhim when I have a picnic in a city park is very disturbing and American.

To be fair open alcoholic beverages are forbidden in many Swedish urban areas. My hometown for example forbids it in the town centre, a few square km. IIRC it is also forbidden in Slottsskogen in Gothenburg, a large and famous Swedish city park.

Thanks. My back needed stabbing. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on July 24, 2012, 02:43:52 PM
Quote from: Threviel on July 24, 2012, 02:40:10 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 24, 2012, 01:53:34 PM
The idea that I should be subject to CopWhim when I have a picnic in a city park is very disturbing and American.

To be fair open alcoholic beverages are forbidden in many Swedish urban areas. My hometown for example forbids it in the town centre, a few square km. IIRC it is also forbidden in Slottsskogen in Gothenburg, a large and famous Swedish city park.

Thanks. My back needed stabbing. :rolleyes:

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on July 24, 2012, 01:16:04 PM
I assume that "open container" prohibitions are just another tool for the cops to use to deal with people they determine are going to be a problem anyway.

In my personal experience, roughly 90% of open container charges were against minors possessing alcohol.  The rest composed of DWIs.

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 24, 2012, 02:38:09 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on July 24, 2012, 02:31:35 PM
Truth be told, even within Europe there are significant cultural differences. For example, from what I read here and in other places I get the impression that drinking alone is quite common in Northern Europe. I don't think I've ever done that. For me and those around me that's a sign of alcoholism and would be frowned upon.

So a wealthy real estate baron, sipping a Calvados alone in the library of his ancient manse, while examining the list of properties for sale, would be frowned upon in Spain?

What difference does it make who he is or how much money he's got? :unsure:

Maybe it's different in other parts/subsets of Spain (Larchie?) but in my environment drinking is a social thing. Some wine with dinner and such is fine. Hard liquor on your own just feels wrong.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2012, 02:56:28 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 24, 2012, 01:16:04 PM
I assume that "open container" prohibitions are just another tool for the cops to use to deal with people they determine are going to be a problem anyway.

In my personal experience, roughly 90% of open container charges were against minors possessing alcohol.  The rest composed of DWIs.

I dunno, the view from docket court  ws that those tickets were eenly split etween minors, and being handed out within a couple blocks of the homeless shelter (together with the ones associated with DWIs).

I thought you guys used DUI though?  DWI (driving while impaired) is the Canadian term.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2012, 03:05:57 PM
I thought you guys used DUI though?  DWI (driving while impaired) is the Canadian term.

Internet suggests we use both.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2012, 03:05:57 PM

Every state has their own deal.  In Iowa it's OUI, usually called "an owie."

sbr

It seems a lot of place down here are moving to DUII (Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants) so they can hit people without any set limit, and for things they can't quickly test for.  Here in Oregon as long as the cop thinks you are impaired he can arrest you, even if you are below the legal limit.

Ed Anger

After viewing the drunk in Cardiff pictures again (hilarious as usual), you Euros can keep the open container and public drunkenness shit over there. Thanks.

Just say no to being a Josq.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 24, 2012, 03:16:03 PM
After viewing the drunk in Cardiff pictures again (hilarious as usual), you Euros can keep the open container and public drunkenness shit over there. Thanks.

Just say no to being a Josq.

Well we don't have to be disgusting like them.  Besides, where I live I can't see it'd be much different if people drank outside. Currently they just get shitfaced in the bars then stumble around while heading to the various pizza slice joints and/or McDonald's at the end of the night.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 24, 2012, 03:35:54 PM
I don't trust young people.

We'll get drunk and disorderly regardless.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2012, 03:05:57 PMI thought you guys used DUI though?  DWI (driving while impaired) is the Canadian term.

I usually say DUI/DWI because a lot of states use the term DUI and a lot of states use the term DWI--and some states use both terms. In States that use both terms, DWI can technically apply to any impairment, even one not the result of intoxicants. Like technically you can get a DWI in those States for driving while too sleepy. The problem of course is proving such a case is very difficult, unless it was against a trucker or someone who is required to keep a trip log and you had proof he had been driving over his allowed 12 hours or so. But then there is a separate class of offenses for log book violations so it's mostly unused. DUI in those State exclusively refers to driving while under the influence of various substances.

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 24, 2012, 03:46:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2012, 03:05:57 PMI thought you guys used DUI though?  DWI (driving while impaired) is the Canadian term.

I usually say DUI/DWI because a lot of states use the term DUI and a lot of states use the term DWI--and some states use both terms. In States that use both terms, DWI can technically apply to any impairment, even one not the result of intoxicants. Like technically you can get a DWI in those States for driving while too sleepy. The problem of course is proving such a case is very difficult, unless it was against a trucker or someone who is required to keep a trip log and you had proof he had been driving over his allowed 12 hours or so. But then there is a separate class of offenses for log book violations so it's mostly unused. DUI in those State exclusively refers to driving while under the influence of various substances.

I don't know about being impaired by sleep - up here we have to show impairment by alcohol or drug.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

I have driven under the influence of sleep deprivation on a few occasions.   :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?