News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best and worst crimes for employment?

Started by Capetan Mihali, July 23, 2012, 05:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

99.999% of the time there's nothing you can do to help a situation like that. They guy should get a microloan to start a hot dog stand.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Iormlund

Quote from: Caliga on July 24, 2012, 11:22:27 AMHonestly I found Martim's dismissive reply on DWI to be the most troubling.  Though I'm sure he'd counter further that eggplants are too OSSUM at drinking and/or driving to ever be dangerous, we all know that's bullshit, and not a week goes by around here that some idiotic drunk doesn't get in his car and kill himself or someone else.

My impression is it's only very recently that DWI has started to be seen as a big deal over here. A video of a drunk ex-president Aznar ranting against alcohol limits at a winery raised the profile of the issue a few years ago.

If it were up to me I'd put the limit at 0.0, embargo the car, revoke the license forever and put every offender on a suspended jail sentence. But that's just me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 24, 2012, 11:28:01 AM
Someone like that society should just give them a gun, a bottle of scotch, and tell them to "be a gentleman and do what is expected of you." I honestly don't know why he wouldn't just kill himself.

I'm surprised he didn't. You kill your daughter through stupidity, don't really see how one wouldn't do that.

Then again, there's countless people walking this earth that have killed their children by accident, and it doesn't faze them a bit.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 24, 2012, 12:07:22 PM
99.999% of the time there's nothing you can do to help a situation like that. They guy should get a microloan to start a hot dog stand.

Meh, he'd probably crash it into a bus stop anyway.

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 24, 2012, 12:07:22 PM
Yeah.  We have a guy who's "locally famous" around here known as The Pitmaster who tows around a giant smoker and sells barbecue at busy intersections.  We've talked to him before (his 'cue kicks ass, btw) and asked him why he didn't open a real restaurant.  He pulled some odd stumbling thing out of his ass about how he's morally opposed to loans or something.  When we were driving away I told Princesca I thought he was probably a convicted felon and obviously wasn't going to admit that to customers.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 24, 2012, 12:02:08 PM
To be devil's advocate, how is that different from DUIs?  We don't criminalize it because driving drunk is bad in itself, we criminalize it because it's highly correlated with crashing into someone.

I'd wager because the potential outcome is a lot more dangerous / certain?  Most of the bums I see oustide drinking don't look like they will shortly be committing dangerous crimes.  Similarly, I've drank outside on several occasions and not then committed a dangerous crime.  I think the difference between drinking in a club/restaurant/outdoor cafe that allows drinks and drinking outside is a lot smaller than drinking in a bar vs. drinking in a car.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2012, 12:09:50 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 24, 2012, 11:28:01 AM
Someone like that society should just give them a gun, a bottle of scotch, and tell them to "be a gentleman and do what is expected of you." I honestly don't know why he wouldn't just kill himself.

I'm surprised he didn't. You kill your daughter through stupidity, don't really see how one wouldn't do that.

Then again, there's countless people walking this earth that have killed their children by accident, and it doesn't faze them a bit.
I just thought it was weird that he told me all this...maybe he thought I'd be more sympathetic if I knew it was 'only' his daughter?  Remember, he started off on a bad foot by lying to me on the initial application where he didn't disclose having a criminal record.  I kind of think he would have been better off continuing to lie through the whole process and then hope I didn't run the background check I said I would, or somehow we'd get back the wrong guy's results and clear him or whatever.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Iormlund

To be devil's advocate, how is that different from DUIs?  We don't criminalize it because driving drunk is bad in itself, we criminalize it because it's highly correlated with crashing into someone.

There's a marked difference between standing in a public square and things like driving a car, supervising a nuclear facility or operating on someone. The latter are inherently dangerous activities and it should be no wonder they are heavily regulated.

DGuller

Quote from: Iormlund on July 24, 2012, 12:21:48 PM

There's a marked difference between standing in a public square and things like driving a car, supervising a nuclear facility or operating on someone. The latter are inherently dangerous activities and it should be no wonder they are heavily regulated.
Standing is a dangerous activity as well when drunk.  :beer:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on July 24, 2012, 12:14:35 PM
]I just thought it was weird that he told me all this...maybe he thought I'd be more sympathetic if I knew it was 'only' his daughter?  Remember, he started off on a bad foot by lying to me on the initial application where he didn't disclose having a criminal record.  I kind of think he would have been better off continuing to lie through the whole process and then hope I didn't run the background check I said I would, or somehow we'd get back the wrong guy's results and clear him or whatever.

Yeah, he approached it the wrong way.  Much like his life.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2012, 12:14:26 PM

I'd wager because the potential outcome is a lot more dangerous / certain?  Most of the bums I see oustide drinking don't look like they will shortly be committing dangerous crimes.  Similarly, I've drank outside on several occasions and not then committed a dangerous crime.  I think the difference between drinking in a club/restaurant/outdoor cafe that allows drinks and drinking outside is a lot smaller than drinking in a bar vs. drinking in a car.

... which is why DWI is a lot more serious an offence than consuming liquor in public.

And sadly, drunken homeless bums cause a huge number of nuisance offences.  Are they killing people?  No, but it is the kind of behaviour that is very public and off-putting to a large number of people.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2012, 12:30:20 PM
No, but it is the kind of behaviour that is very public and off-putting to a large number of people.
As Martim noted earlier, by that standard, 90% of Portugal would be in prison.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on July 24, 2012, 12:32:42 PM
No, but it is the kind of behaviour that is very public and off-putting to a large number of people.

And you don't think the world would be better off it 90% of portugal was locked up?   :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2012, 12:27:51 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 24, 2012, 12:14:35 PM
]I just thought it was weird that he told me all this...maybe he thought I'd be more sympathetic if I knew it was 'only' his daughter?  Remember, he started off on a bad foot by lying to me on the initial application where he didn't disclose having a criminal record.  I kind of think he would have been better off continuing to lie through the whole process and then hope I didn't run the background check I said I would, or somehow we'd get back the wrong guy's results and clear him or whatever.

Yeah, he approached it the wrong way.  Much like his life.

I could see how it could make some sense.  He obviously can't put Convicted of Manslaughter on his application, it would never see the light of day.  But he could either think he was impressive enough a candidate that he could convince someone to hire him face to face, or he had some sort of ethical/religious/12 step program inability to outright lie about it.  He'd never get a job without putting out applications, and depending on government benefits he may have had ot put out applications, even if he knew he would never get a job.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2012, 12:34:23 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 24, 2012, 12:32:42 PM

And you don't think the world would be better off it 90% of portugal was locked up?   :)
:hmm: