News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best and worst crimes for employment?

Started by Capetan Mihali, July 23, 2012, 05:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

Quote from: Caliga on July 24, 2012, 11:22:27 AM
Honestly I found Martim's dismissive reply on DWI to be the most troubling.  Though I'm sure he'd counter further that eggplants are too OSSUM at drinking and/or driving to ever be dangerous, we all know that's bullshit, and not a week goes by around here that some idiotic drunk doesn't get in his car and kill himself or someone else

Don't assume what you don't know.

Portuguese aren't 'OUSSUM' at driving; in fact, we're incredibly bad at it. So much so, that the same *number* of people get killed in car accidents in Portugal every year than in Germany - except that our country has 1/8th of the population...

Our roads are so dangerous that even walking on the pedestrian line while the sign is green for pedestrians (and red for the cars) is dangerous. Some drivers just don't stop.

Some go into reverse at high speed in a single-way road for no reason whatsoever (I almost got killed by one of these idiots when I was a kid, if my dad hadn't pulled me; I was looking at the way cars are supposed to come down the road to notice a car coming at full speed in reverse).

At an intersection, when the lights turn red to the cars, it is almost certain at least one of them will only stop about 2-3 meters ahead of the stop line.

Cars overtake others in the highways by moving into the other lanes (that go in the opposite direction) without even looking at what's coming.

Some (completely sober) like to move to the highway lane that goes the other way and accelerate to maximum speed. For no good reason.

Others don't even realise they've entered one way-only streets, etc, etc.

So the death rate is quite high as it is. Being in one of our roads is dangerous indeed. Drunk driving is finable and there were campaigns to stop it (as well as roadside inspections to get fines), but it is a small percentage of our car deaths.

Quote from: Iormlund
Maybe it's different in other parts/subsets of Spain (Larchie?) but in my environment drinking is a social thing. Some wine with dinner and such is fine. Hard liquor on your own just feels wrong.

Same is true over here. Drinking is what you do when you're with friends or in a business dinner that needs good understanding on both sides; it is good for socializing. Drinking alone is a sign of dependence - and sad indeed.  :(

(but nobody will bug a person sitting in a bench drinking)

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 24, 2012, 03:56:34 PM
I have driven under the influence of sleep deprivation on a few occasions.   :sleep:
I've done that as well.  It's the scariest feeling in the world, because I was aware for an hour straight that I was in mortal danger, but I had no realistic options to avoid it.  No matter how much you know you shouldn't fall asleep, you also know that ultimately it isn't your call to make.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 24, 2012, 04:05:55 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 24, 2012, 03:56:34 PM
I have driven under the influence of sleep deprivation on a few occasions.   :sleep:
I've done that as well.  It's the scariest feeling in the world, because I was aware for an hour straight that I was in mortal danger, but I had no realistic options to avoid it.  No matter how much you know you shouldn't fall asleep, you also know that ultimately it isn't your call to make.

:yes:

Though I just avoid doing so. That is - driving when that exhausted.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 24, 2012, 04:14:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2012, 03:41:29 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 24, 2012, 03:35:54 PM
I don't trust young people.

We'll get drunk and disorderly regardless.

*shakes fist and waves cane*

Move out of the way, grandpa, or we'll march over you while continuing our pub crawl!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2012, 04:10:49 PM

I'm now planning ahead whenever there is a possibility of having to drive while tired.  If I can't avoid it, I at least make sure to drink some Red Bull, and do it before I realize I'm tired.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 24, 2012, 04:21:10 PM
Matlock is on!

I prefer Murder, She Wrote. How could one small town be so violent?

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 24, 2012, 04:38:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2012, 04:10:49 PM

I'm now planning ahead whenever there is a possibility of having to drive while tired.  If I can't avoid it, I at least make sure to drink some Red Bull, and do it before I realize I'm tired.

I'd rather be late than dead.

The Brain

Friar Tuck, how often do you find yourself in situations where you HAVE TO drive?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Nm, I figured it out. Blueberry sale.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2012, 04:42:24 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 24, 2012, 04:21:10 PM
Matlock is on!

I prefer Murder, She Wrote. How could one small town be so violent?

I have long suspected that Angela Lansbury played a crazed killer who imagined her own killings were done by other people and she wrote about it from her point of view.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017