News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gentlemen - What emasculates you?

Started by merithyn, July 18, 2012, 11:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 04:57:15 PM
Agreed on the judgmental, but having an opinion about someone or someones is not sticking my nose where it doesn't belong anymore than you deciding you dislike me because I'm not Catholic.

Not being Catholic is a good thing :hug:

QuoteThat being said, I don't dislike you (or your wife), as if my opinion matters to you at all. I dislike the attitude you've shown here which kind of leads me to believe that your particular arrangement isn't one to be respected.

I'm not overly concerned with your approval of how I live and no hard feelings if you did dislike me.  But having said that, you've piqued my curiosity-- what do you think my particular arrangement is?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on July 19, 2012, 05:42:41 PM
So you'd want to use social pressure to make people behave the way you want, rather then risk other people making you feel bad about your choices?

Way to completely miss the point.

Ed Anger

Next Meri thread:

How do you divide the money in a relationship? IT BETTER BE 50/50 MISTER OR YOU ARE GONNA GET A SCOLDING.

Toilet seats? Do you put them down?

Wet towels on the floor. Do you pick them up?

WHY HAVEN'T YOU FIXED THAT DOORBELL YET? WHARGARBL

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 05:52:21 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2012, 05:48:07 PM
So when a choice is made and it goes with perceived societal norms it isn't really a choice at all and it's ok to denigrate that decision? Gotcha. So next time Marti goes on a tirade against "the breeders" for having kids because societies deems it a norm you'll all rally to his cause?

I'm pretty sure no one said that. I think what was said is that there is that concern, and special care should be taken to avoid it.

Indeed. We seem to have a group of people here who are quite skilled at being willfully obtuse. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 19, 2012, 06:09:51 PM
Next Meri thread:

How do you divide the money in a relationship? IT BETTER BE 50/50 MISTER OR YOU ARE GONNA GET A SCOLDING.

I'm sorry. If I hadn't said "emasculating" maybe Meri wouldn't have created two of these threads!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 05:58:09 PM
I'm not overly concerned with your approval of how I live and no hard feelings if you did dislike me.  But having said that, you've piqued my curiosity-- what do you think my particular arrangement is?

Based on what you've said, it's not one that involved a conversation on what either of you wants or likes. You said that you used to cook, but your wife shunned you from the kitchen. That MEN DRIVE! but no mention on if you've talked to your wife about whether she'd like to drive on occasion.

Maybe it's just schtick for the masses, but it feels horribly disrespectful to both of you. The appearance is that you've both taken on the stereotypical roles without paying real attention to what either of you really want or need. And you're happy with that, so it doesn't really matter much. But it would be disingenuous of me to say that I respect it, anymore than I would respect an absolute role reversal as a way to thumb your nose at tradition but not because the guy likes to vacuum and the woman likes to mow the lawn.

I don't dislike the stereotypical roles. I dislike the attitude of disrespect that permeates those roles with what appears to be a complete lack of actual thought and attention to the individuals involved.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2012, 06:10:59 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 19, 2012, 06:09:51 PM
Next Meri thread:

I'm sorry. If I hadn't said "emasculating" maybe Meri wouldn't have created two of these threads!

THEY'RE INTERESTING CONVERSATIONS, GODDAMNIT!! :ultra:

:D

garbon

I mean they were the hot topics of the day.

HVC

It was them or one of Tim's threads lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 19, 2012, 06:28:44 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2012, 06:28:16 PM
It was them or one of Tim's threads lol

:unsure:

HAIL MERI!
:D. I was gonna start a women suck too thread as a lark but figured that might end badly for me
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2012, 06:30:51 PM
:D. I was gonna start a women suck too thread as a lark but figured that might end badly for me

I'm not as gay-centered as Marti - so I'd wage more women suck then men suck. Though maybe not as frequently. :hmm:

merithyn

Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2012, 06:30:51 PM
:D. I was gonna start a women suck too thread as a part but figured that might end badly for me

You know, the really interesting thing is that I really do prefer men's company to women's (Brazen being the exception to the rule on that one). I love that I can have a conversation with a guy, maybe even get a little heated, but tomorrow, it'll be forgotten. Men are great about that stuff. Women, not so much. And I learn so much more from you guys than I ever do the women that I know.

Despite how it may appear on here, I think guys are awesome. It might be because you're a bit alien to me, but nonetheless, as a gender, guys rock.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 02:49:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 19, 2012, 02:46:39 PM

Wow this is so screwed up I had to break my rule and respond.

When you say our society you must mean Poland because those "traditional" roles havent been around for decades.  The concept of metrosexuality has nothing to do with it.  Do people even use that word anymore?  Feminism broke those roles.

That you would get this wrong isnt actually all that puzzling.

So, you obviously haven't read any of derspiess' posts, CC. They're alive and well for some, sadly.

Makes me happy that you didn't know, though. :hug:

I think he is the exception that proves the rule - ie there is no such thing as the "tradition" of women just being pretty little play things.  That may be the fantasy of some guys (and Marti) but that is about as far as it goes imo.