Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on July 19, 2012, 09:55:58 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 19, 2012, 09:53:38 AM
Wait, isn't ders married to a furriner?

He's got halfbreed kids :yes:

I gotta say, Tommy does tan very easily.  Never frickin' burns at all.  Lola, on the other hand, is paler than I am.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 09:28:54 AM

Like every red-blooded American who doesn't live in an urban environment, I got my license at 16.  Mom started teaching me how to drive when I was 14.

FYP. :)

Most of my friends who grew up in the Chicago area didn't get their license until they were in their 20s. No need, since they just used public transportation.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 10:44:37 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 09:28:54 AM

Like every red-blooded American who doesn't live in an urban environment, I got my license at 16.  Mom started teaching me how to drive when I was 14.

FYP. :)

Most of my friends who grew up in the Chicago area didn't get their license until they were in their 20s. No need, since they just used public transportation.

Ick.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Merri, it's pretty obvious that one of the most traditional aspect of male/female gender roles in our society is for women to look pretty/attractive and stay at home/be more submissive, and for men to bring money, be dominant/competitive and with much less concern for looks. That you would question this is rather puzzling.

The very concept of metrosexuality was created exactly to break away with this traditional role (and it has not been very succesful) by arguing that not just effeminate men care about their looks.

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on July 19, 2012, 10:47:12 AM
Merri, it's pretty obvious that one of the most traditional aspect of male/female gender roles in our society is for women to look pretty/attractive and stay at home/be more submissive, and for men to bring money, be dominant/competitive and with much less concern for looks. That you would question this is rather puzzling.

The very concept of metrosexuality was created exactly to break away with this traditional role (and it has not been very succesful) by arguing that not just effeminate men care about their looks.

I was questioning its application in today's society as it applies to women. I get that men still feel this way, as is obvious by the whole concept of emasculation. I don't get the nuances of what, specifically, would emasculate a guy, but I don't think I'm meant to.

My point was that women don't seem to, in general, want that same traditional role, so to deny them the "right" to do it doesn't seem as big of a deal. As was pointed out to me, looks and parenting are two of those traditional roles that women still hang onto pretty tightly. Makes sense. I was thinking more in terms of career and/or marriage roles (specific to the couple) instead of the broader aspects, which was short-sighted of me.

I got it now. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Fwiw, I think I last felt emasculated as a young teen.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

The reason I decided not to worry about my looks is only because women told me it was no big deal.  If women wanted heterosexual men to be hott they would make a bigger deal about it.  Also, so far as I know, it is not traditional for men not to worry about their looks.  Heck in the male dominated offices of the past everybody wore suits and shaved and had impeccable hair.  Now that women have joined us everybody dresses like a slob. :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 19, 2012, 01:02:09 PM

The reason I decided not to worry about my looks is only because women told me it was no big deal.  If women wanted heterosexual men to be hott they would make a bigger deal about it.  Also, so far as I know, it is not traditional for men not to worry about their looks.  Heck in the male dominated offices of the past everybody wore suits and shaved and have impeccable hair.  Now that women have joined us everybody dresses like a slob. :P

It is also not traditional for men not to worry about double negatives.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on July 19, 2012, 01:04:17 PM
It is also not traditional for men not to worry about double negatives.  :P

I always try to respect tradition -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2012, 12:55:33 PM

Don't worry, you'll get over it eventually :console:

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on July 19, 2012, 01:34:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2012, 12:55:33 PM

Don't worry, you'll get over it eventually :console:

Hopefully not.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Wow this is so screwed up I had to break my rule and respond.

When you say our society you must mean Poland because those "traditional" roles havent been around for decades.  The concept of metrosexuality has nothing to do with it.  Do people even use that word anymore?  Feminism broke those roles.

That you would get this wrong isnt actually all that puzzling.

Jacob

I guess Marty thinks Meri lives in Poland?