And we're back!

Main Menu

Gentlemen - What emasculates you?

Started by merithyn, July 18, 2012, 11:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 08:38:11 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 19, 2012, 08:34:47 AM
There is also a different dynamics in men and women crossing gender roles. Men who do that are laughed at while women are attacked - this is because the former is seen as being too weak and the latter as too uppity - because male roles are considered superior.

Just look at how much vitriol any female politician or professional who acts like a guy (not in terms of biological appearance etc. But the style of behaviour, assertiveness, competitiveness etc.) faces.

Yes, that makes sense. But then, why wouldn't women be more concerned with maintaining their gender roles? 

Well, see, now I'm seriously questioning my view of the world. Are there a significant number of women out there who really do freak out at the idea of becoming less feminine because of the roles they fill and I've just missed them?? :blink:

Cosmetics aren't a major industry for nothing.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on July 19, 2012, 08:40:41 AM
Yes, that makes sense. But then, why wouldn't women be more concerned with maintaining their gender roles? 

Well, see, now I'm seriously questioning my view of the world. Are there a significant number of women out there who really do freak out at the idea of becoming less feminine because of the roles they fill and I've just missed them?? :blink:

Different topic entirely. Go back to the looks thread. This one is about gender roles. :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 08:41:35 AM

Different topic entirely. Go back to the looks thread. This one is about gender roles. :P

Next you'll be "innocently" inquiring whether seedy wears mascara or lip-liner.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on July 19, 2012, 08:45:29 AM
Next you'll be "innocently" inquiring whether seedy wears mascara or lip-liner.  :lol:

I know he does. Haven't you seen the pics? :unsure:

HVC

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 08:41:35 AM

the more i think of it with my sleep deprived mind the more i think "looking pretty' is a female gender role in western society, actually.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

merithyn

Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2012, 08:46:55 AM
the more i think of it with my sleep deprived mind the more i think "looking pretty' is a female gender role in western society, actually.

Looking attractive is genderless. Both sexes need to be attractive enough to catch and keep a mate. It's not a role; it's bait.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 08:35:20 AM
Agreed. People tend to surround themselves with like-minded people, so I may just not know any women who have issues with all of this.

Not particularly useful for making general statements about the state of things then, no?

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 08:35:20 AMBut I think your second point kind of supports my assertion, and explains it. Women had to fight to be treated as equals, which challenges the traditional role of men. Makes sense that some men would hold very tenaciously to that which they believe is being forcibly taken from them.

It provides a possible explanation as far as work. It doesn't explain or mitigate things regarding child rearing - fashion/"beauty", etc.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 08:48:38 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2012, 08:46:55 AM

Looking attractive is genderless. Both sexes need to be attractive enough to catch and keep a mate. It's not a role; it's bait.
yes, but there's more emphasis for it in a female. That multi-billion cosmetic industry malthus talked about. True, they're spending a lot of money to get men to go metro, but it's hit or miss. I mean there's a whole "look" for guys where they look like unwashed slacker (think grung but less flannel :lol: ). no way would there be a "messy unkept" fad for women.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

garbon

That's a head in the sand way about it though. There is most certainly a more involved role for females to play in "looking attractive."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

because their traditional gender roles mostly revolved around submissivness to men/society and thus require less maintenance?

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2012, 08:50:57 AM

That's a head in the sand way about it though. There is most certainly a more involved role for females to play in "looking attractive."

I suppose. Enough men will cut bait and run if their women let themselves go, whereas a woman is more willing to stick it out, beer gut and balding or no.

merithyn

Quote from: Tamas on July 19, 2012, 08:57:10 AM

because their traditional gender roles mostly revolved around submissivness to men/society and thus require less maintenance?

That explains why they would, not why they wouldn't.

HVC

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 08:58:30 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2012, 08:50:57 AM

I suppose. Enough men will cut bait and run if their women let themselves go, whereas a woman is more willing to stick it out, beer gut and balding or no.
But women will cut bait if her husband loses his job. So in the end alls well that ends well :lol:

merithyn

Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2012, 08:59:40 AM
But women will cut bait if her husband loses his job. So in the end alls well that ends well :lol:

:hmm:

I'd love to see some statistics on both of these, to be honest. It may just be interpretations of media hype rather than real facts.

HVC

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2012, 09:01:12 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2012, 08:59:40 AM

:hmm:

I'd love to see some statistics on both of these, to be honest. It may just be interpretations of media hype rather than real facts.
well, it also depends why you married to begin with. if he married a trophy wife he's more likely to leave once she passes her experation date (as it were). while if she married a sugar daddy she's more likely to leave once the suger is tapped out.