News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Total War: Rome 2?

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 01:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Funnily enough several of my ancestors did in fact build the Great Wall of China.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Alcibiades

It's...ok.  Not worth full price in my opinion.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Razgovory

I may wait for a few patches.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Shade

Viking

I heard it was a great dissapointment. The 90%+ ratings factories (the review sites which give any competent game 80 or 90 ratings) are all in agreement, it is not as good as it should have been. Which I think is code for "map looks fantastic but gameplay is crap".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

I think it is more a case of too big expectations. Lots of factions causing slow turn times, and battles being a bit too fast are my major gripes. Rest of the game is the regular total war game with some additions, and pretty graphics. So yeah, it's a matter of too high expectations.

FunkMonk

I'm seeing a lot of comparisons to Empire being thrown about around different forums. I think I'll wait at least six months for the necessary patches and mods.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Viking

So, its a big no on the "buy new computer to be able to pay TWR2" then?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on September 05, 2013, 02:16:31 AM

If you could play Shogun 2, you could play this one for sure.

I am not saying you should buy it now, if you can live without it. It most certainly did not blow my mind away like Rome 1 did.

That said, my minimal expectation was to see Rome 1 with updated graphics, and despite all the world-wide QQ they delivered THAT, and some more. By some more I mean a huge map, a faction count to put Europa Barbarorum (sp?) to shame, inner politics mechanic, and a city management system and interface that makes more sense with the map`s size.

I guess a reason for the disappointment by many people is that this is precisely the kind of sequel you hear fans demand for other games (and then throw a hissy fit when they don`t receive, eg. Master of Orion 3`s development): an update of the original with all core gameplay unchanged. But Rome 1 is quite old, and that same gameplay core has been repeated in what, 4 other TW games since then? People expected the wow-factor of Rome 1 but you can`t be that blown-away by the same game twice.

That also mean that I may get bored with it fairly quickly, but I am enjoying it now for what it is.

Agelastus

Quote from: Viking on September 04, 2013, 08:25:16 PM
I heard it was a great dissapointment. The 90%+ ratings factories (the review sites which give any competent game 80 or 90 ratings) are all in agreement, it is not as good as it should have been. Which I think is code for "map looks fantastic but gameplay is crap".

They all like the map, eh?

It's pretty, but that's it. Visually it's distorted enough from true to be annoying and graphically the enormous footprint of the settlements make it look cramped for all its size.

Quote from: Viking on September 05, 2013, 02:16:31 AM

From the noise of my fans its straining my computer about as badly as Empire did (it makes less noise than Napoleon and I've never bought Shogun 2.)

Admittedly I'm playing with a graphics quality two steps lower than I normally would (before I've always played maxing out just about everything), but that's still not bad for a game three generations on from Empire.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 05, 2013, 02:00:01 AM
I'm seeing a lot of comparisons to Empire being thrown about around different forums. I think I'll wait at least six months for the necessary patches and mods.

I rather liked Empire, but never actually played Shogun II.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadBurgerMaker

I've had some fun with it in the relatively short amount of time I've been playing it.  I don't have any real performance problems so far, even on my really old hardware, so that's good. 

I had the chance to snag it for like $40 preordered (so including the Greek States thing, which is apparently $8 by itself now), so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it, but I'd say if you didn't preorder and are on the fence, you might as well wait till some Steam sale or another. 

Viking

Quote from: Agelastus on September 05, 2013, 04:12:44 AM

It's pretty, but that's it. Visually it's distorted enough from true to be annoying and graphically the enormous footprint of the settlements make it look cramped for all its size.

As the joker said, if I have to explain the joke it isn't funny.

Agelastus

Quote from: Viking on September 05, 2013, 11:26:31 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on September 05, 2013, 04:12:44 AM

As the joker said, if I have to explain the joke it isn't funny.

It aint a joke if the map's crap, 'cause then it's just nonsense. Oh, and the map's crap...

-
--
---
----

OK, OK I'd just been out in the hot sun doing the mowing and misread your post slightly...:Embarrass:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Richard Hakluyt

I bought the game and fiddled with it for 20 minutes, then I lost interest and went back to my EUIV game as Austria.