News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Total War: Rome 2?

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 01:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

That's with beta 3?  Damn, I might just roll that back without using it.  Although.....heh....I've never had an ambush battle before, so I might fire it up just to check one of those out.

Razgovory

I was playing the prologue and lost a battle because my leader decided not to show up for it.  He just wasn't there, and when the battle ended it said he died.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Scipio

Quote from: Razgovory on September 21, 2013, 05:19:19 PM
I was playing the prologue and lost a battle because my leader decided not to show up for it.  He just wasn't there, and when the battle ended it said he died.
Well, shit, I'ma buy that RIGHT NOW.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

Quote from: Scipio on September 21, 2013, 08:39:39 PM
Well, shit, I'ma buy that RIGHT NOW.

I noted a really weird bug.  The battle of Zama is listed in the historical battles, but for some reason when I played it Scipio Africanus's army was composed entirely of war dogs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

:hmm:  Death would explain the absence.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Solmyr

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/aj/ajsreview/40568-angry-review-total-war-rome-ii

Yeah, definitely waiting for at least -50% Steam sale, and reviews stating that stuff has been successfully patched.

Agelastus

Fought those battles against the Suebi successfully (the ones that I crashed on yesterday)...

,,,despite following them up a road, four out of four AMBUSH BATTLES.

Even with the Suebi armies that were not involved in the battles (due to them being AMBUSH BATTLES) retreating after combat as if they'd been defeated as well.

"Hey dude, like, we've retreated here because we heard that our fellows were killed back there over the hills, should we, like, pay attention to what's around us?"

"Nah, dude...we'll just keep pretending to be marching instead of camping and everything will be fine."

That's just about as funny as the Pictones army (back with beta 1 or 2, I forget which) that spent a long time creating a three section wide breach in the wall of Athenian Brundisium...and then attacked the gates as if the breach wasn't there.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Agelastus

:hmm:

Was watching the "Angry Review" linked above where he was talking about a passive campaign AI...something that was apparently affecting a lot of people.

The Athenians of my first campaign peaked at being at war with 56 nations at the same time (99% of whom had declared war themselves) with the original release. I was quite impressed with the strategic acumen of some of the AI powers as well; both the Siraces and the Getai ripped into Northern Anatolia (the soft underbelly of the Athenian-Pontine alliance) in quite impressive fashion at different times.

What did I do wrong? :huh:

Or, more importantly, what am I still doing wrong - half the AI armies I fight are 15-20 unit death-stacks, not little bitty things.

Battle AI really is as braindead as he says, though.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

garbon

Quote from: Solmyr on September 22, 2013, 09:26:22 AM
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/aj/ajsreview/40568-angry-review-total-war-rome-ii

Yeah, definitely waiting for at least -50% Steam sale, and reviews stating that stuff has been successfully patched.

I watched like a minute of that and didn't understand why one would sit through all 43 minutes. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I like Angry Joe. He sometimes gets carried away when he really likes a game, but I find him fun when he slams something.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

I think the game is getting into shape rapidly, I am having some fun with the beta 3 update.

MadBurgerMaker

Age, I played a few battles last night, but didn't get any ambush action.  I wonder if you just found some weird glitch in a certain location. 

I found something that might be a game breaker for me until it's fixed.  Something is causing every battle I try to fight in Genoa to be....like a weird slideshow kind of deal.  It's hard to describe.  The camera moves around smoothly like normal, but the dudes move in a strange frame by frame fashion.  I was looking forward to killing Gauls with my shiny new artillery too.  Anyway, it makes that battle unplayable, and with the way the computer counts peasants and other trash units, my awesome Principe/Triarii/Arty/Cavalry stack will lose an autoresolve every time.

Agelastus

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 22, 2013, 02:52:55 PM
Age, I played a few battles last night, but didn't get any ambush action.  I wonder if you just found some weird glitch in a certain location. 

I found something that might be a game breaker for me until it's fixed.  Something is causing every battle I try to fight in Genoa to be....like a weird slideshow kind of deal.  It's hard to describe.  The camera moves around smoothly like normal, but the dudes move in a strange frame by frame fashion.  I was looking forward to killing Gauls with my shiny new artillery too.  Anyway, it makes that battle unplayable, and with the way the computer counts peasants and other trash units, my awesome Principe/Triarii/Arty/Cavalry stack will lose an autoresolve every time.

There's some kind of bug with one of the Gallic settlement models, I think; I've had a similar problem myself (in two different settlements, one with beta 2, one with beta 3.) Normally though it kicks in after the battle's been going a couple of minutes on my computer. It may be something to do with the number of buildings external to the settlement (I seem to recall them being pretty cluttered maps) or to do with the ships (both battles I can recall this happening to had a naval element.)

As for the Ambush battles, I agree it could be a weird glitch; on the other hand their patch notes did say something about meddling with ambush battles and increasing the chance of them for an army in forced march so I'm thinking it's probably more along the line of "unintended consequences".
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be