The 2012 London Olympics Whinging Bah Humbug Thread.

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdemar

The brits are being accused of bad sportsmanship by forcing restarts in both cycling and rowing. In cycling the athelete "fell" before the first half circle and in rowing they had a "mechanical" issue that apparently no one else could see, waving a screwdriver about in the air seemed to fix the boat..

In both cases they got a restart of the final.

In rowing they still didn't get gold though  :menace:

V

Liep

No restart for Lasse Norman when he fell in the velodrome due to the British rider going up when he was suppose to go straight. He didn't need it though. :menace:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valdemar

Nope and as I wrote, no gold for the boat crew who had "technical" difficulties...

V

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Warspite

Quote from: Valdemar on August 06, 2012, 08:23:01 AM
The brits are being accused of bad sportsmanship by forcing restarts in both cycling and rowing. In cycling the athelete "fell" before the first half circle and in rowing they had a "mechanical" issue that apparently no one else could see, waving a screwdriver about in the air seemed to fix the boat..

V

You obviously weren't watching the race. His seat came off, which he was physically waving in the air towards the race referee. In a sliding-seat vessel, that's a pretty important part of the boat.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Valdemar

Quote from: Warspite on August 06, 2012, 03:34:53 PM
Quote from: Valdemar on August 06, 2012, 08:23:01 AM

V

You obviously weren't watching the race. His seat came off, which he was physically waving in the air towards the race referee. In a sliding-seat vessel, that's a pretty important part of the boat.

Indeed, and the officials who went to watch him fix it wondered out loud afterwards how he could so easily attach it with a screwdriver if it was truly broken...

You can take a seat of.. that doesn't mean its broken.

V

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Brain on August 07, 2012, 06:05:10 AM
The boat isn't the responsibility of the team?

If the problem emerges in the first 100m of the race then a restart can be allowed, after 100m then it is just tough luck.

Valdemar

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 07, 2012, 06:35:09 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 07, 2012, 06:05:10 AM
The boat isn't the responsibility of the team?

If the problem emerges in the first 100m of the race then a restart can be allowed, after 100m then it is just tough luck.

Indeed, the issues is for both boat and bike race (where the GB athlete admitted to diving) is that in both cases the GB team got a bad start and apparently tried for a restart. The rule is meant for accidents and true malfunctions, not for getting restarts at will.

In the boat case obviously the truth of the technical difficulty will never be proven, and they still only got silver so it all ended well :D

In the bike race however the rider admitted the fall was on purpose, but later said he had been misunderstood......

V

Drakken

Just a question like that, isn't there any reason not to allow men's heptathlon in the Olympics - and make them with the same rules as the women's (100m, and outdoors)?

Josquius

I wouldn't call the boat thing bad sportsmanship at all. His boat broke and it is in the rules of the match that a restart can happen. It was just bad luck.
I'm unfamiliar with the cycling incident.

Bad sportsmanship- now that would be the likes of those badminton players trying to lose deliberately so they could get an easier next round draw, or the Japanese women's team against South Africa trying to draw so they would finish lower in their league and not have to travel to the other side of the country.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 28, 2012, 03:15:53 AM
In any event, the Aussies are right about the whingeing poms. Whinge, moan and bloody complain.....it is the national sport; where other countries have revolutions the Brits just keep on grumbling. It is one of the main reasons I never emigrated, one can't go to a place like the US, Canada or Australia and wander about moaning about how everything is going to the dogs.........it is grossly impolite to do that in someone else's country that you have chosen to live in........so I stayed in this bloody dump instead and kept my freedom to whinge  :mad:

I think we all do this.  I am always hearing people saying how the US is doomed and Americans  are fat and worthless and entitled and unworthy of our heritage, our economy is soon going to melt down Greek like, our government is hopelessly corrupt and so forth.  But I think the Brits just have a self-awareness and sense of humor about moaning and complaining the rest of us don't.  Americans tend to get use our whining as a reason for our constant state of national outrage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

@Valmy - I've temporarily totally lost my moaning mojo because of the Olympics. It has cost a lot to put on but it is one hell of a party........and the British team are doing brilliantly. As an additional bonus we have hardly heard a peep out of Cameron, Milliband and the others .........only that silly arse Clegg managed to make the news, but only briefly and we will wave goodbye to him at the next election  :cool:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Monoriu on July 19, 2012, 10:35:46 PM
A lot of the venues for the 2008 Beijing Olympic games are now virtually deserted.

Which is not that unusual for large construction projects in China.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 07, 2012, 01:35:55 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 19, 2012, 10:35:46 PM
A lot of the venues for the 2008 Beijing Olympic games are now virtually deserted.

Which is not that unusual for large construction projects in China.

It's also true fot many venues of past Olympics.

The velodrome is a problem everytime.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.