The 2012 London Olympics Whinging Bah Humbug Thread.

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 07, 2012, 01:50:39 PM
It's also true fot many venues of past Olympics.

The velodrome is a problem everytime.

Next time I'm in Montreal I challenge you to follow the moped.

Grey Fox

:unsure:

The US & China dominate in way too many events. Their medal count is ridiculous. The ROTW should get together & do something about it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 07, 2012, 04:28:55 PM

The US & China dominate in way too many events. Their medal count is ridiculous. The ROTW should get together & do something about it.

Take up badminton and ping pong. :shifty:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 07, 2012, 12:18:18 PM
@Valmy - I've temporarily totally lost my moaning mojo because of the Olympics. It has cost a lot to put on but it is one hell of a party........and the British team are doing brilliantly. As an additional bonus we have hardly heard a peep out of Cameron, Milliband and the others .........only that silly arse Clegg managed to make the news, but only briefly and we will wave goodbye to him at the next election  :cool:

I suspect that England is in a state of shock. All that happiness, well being and good news is ... well... just un-english to be honest. you'be got like twice as many medals as australia, it's the world turned upside down.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Looks like the Cameroonians (Cameroonites?) are bah-humbugging the Olympics, too.

QuoteOlympics 2012: Athletes abscond during games
By Olga Khazan

Europe may be going through rough economic times, but the grass still seems greener in Britain for some athletes who are competing in London this summer.

Seven Cameroon Olympians have disappeared and are suspected of attempting to stay in Britain for economic reasons.

Soccer player Drusille Ngako was the first to go missing, and she was followed by swimmer Paul Ekane Edingue and five boxers, the BBC reported.

"What began as rumor has finally turned out to be true," Team Cameroon mission head David Ojong said.

It's far from the first time that visiting athletes have sought to stay in a host country.

Several Sudanese runners have already sought asylum in British police stations during these games.

Australian authorities prepared for asylum applications from athletes in 2000, but they warned that permission to stay would not be granted leniently, according to the Canberra Times. The entire Romanian junior world wrestling team sought refuge during a 1999 Olympic test event, the Australian reported.

A Shiite Iraqi weightlifter defected in Atlanta in 1996, fleeing persecution under Saddam Hussein's regime. Five Cuban soccer players fled their hotel in Tampa during an Olympic qualifier in 2008, wearing only the clothes on their backs, and said they wanted to play for a South Florida team instead.

In 1988, a Romanian athlete requested political asylum during the Calgary Winter Olympics. Canadian authorities had gone so far as to set up a hotline for people with immigration questions during the games, leading the Soviet team to complain that the measure would only encourage more athletes to defect, the Globe and Mail wrote at the time.

Ed Anger

QuoteThe entire Romanian junior world wrestling team sought refuge during a 1999 Olympic test event, the Australian reported.

Hubcap theft up 40% since then in Australia.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 07, 2012, 04:28:55 PM

It is because of our College Athletics programs, powered by money from College Football mostly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

@Valmy - I've temporarily totally lost my moaning mojo because of the Olympics. It has cost a lot to put on but it is one hell of a party........and the British team are doing brilliantly. As an additional bonus we have hardly heard a peep out of Cameron, Milliband and the others .........only that silly arse Clegg managed to make the news, but only briefly and we will wave goodbye to him at the next election  :cool:

I was going to say you Brits look pretty proud to be Brits on TV even if you do not sound like it on the internet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valdemar

Quote from: Tyr on August 07, 2012, 10:16:07 AM
I wouldn't call the boat thing bad sportsmanship at all. His boat broke and it is in the rules of the match that a restart can happen. It was just bad luck.
I'm unfamiliar with the cycling incident.

Bad sportsmanship- now that would be the likes of those badminton players trying to lose deliberately so they could get an easier next round draw, or the Japanese women's team against South Africa trying to draw so they would finish lower in their league and not have to travel to the other side of the country.

In the cyckling event the rider took a dive by simply lying down on his side, just like the Chinese trying to lose on purpose. That created a restart and team GB got a better start. The rider admitted to taking the fall.

I still think the boating thing was the same as ppl question A how he seat could come of entirely while he was sitting on it and B, how he could fix it that easily waving a srewdriver... but then Harry Potter lives in England too :D

V

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valdemar on August 08, 2012, 02:45:49 AM
I still think the boating thing was the same as ppl question A how he seat could come of entirely while he was sitting on it and B, how he could fix it that easily waving a srewdriver... but then Harry Potter lives in England too :D

A because a screw was loose
B because twisting a screwdriver around is how that problem is solved

Richard Hakluyt

My understanding is that the clip which secured the seat to the runner below had seized-up, ie his seat was not moving back and forth and he therefore waved the seat as a signal.

Re the cyclist, deliberately buggering up your start is within the letter of the law in that event. I would agree that he broke the spirit of the law and Chris Hoy looked rather pained as the younger chap explained what he had done. Hopefully the team and coach have privately told him not to do it again.

In both cases I'm getting my info from the BBC and BBC commentators, I don't know enough about either event to make my own decision, but that is why we have expert umpires, judges and whatnot.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on August 07, 2012, 10:05:07 PM

I was going to say you Brits look pretty proud to be Brits on TV even if you do not sound like it on the internet.

There is plenty of patriotism Valmy, it's just that we like to grumble  :bowler:

Mittens didn't get that during his visit of course. While the country was busy moaning about the Olympics he made the mistake of joining in. As a visitor he was supposed to say something like "I'm sure everything will be fine, London is a great city......blah blah blah". Instead he made his comment and united British opinion against him, "WTF? Bloody Yank comes over and tells us we don't know how to throw a party? It's going to be a great Olympics and we'll win loads of medals so up yours!"......or something like that  :lol:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 08, 2012, 03:02:41 AM
My understanding is that the clip which secured the seat to the runner below had seized-up, ie his seat was not moving back and forth and he therefore waved the seat as a signal.

I will bow to your understanding as all I know of the event is what I've gleaned from Valdemar's bitching about it.  :lol:

Valdemar

How can he wave the seat if he is sitting on it?  :lmfao:

Any how, I agree with your overall statement re letter of the law vs. spirit

I only got my info from BBC and DK broadcasting, they quoted an official who diplomatically found no obvious technical issues, but that whatever had made the brit call it of could be fixed by "waving a screwdriver.."

The other rowers said that had the brits gained from it they considered calling a protest.. but as the brits still failed to win they saw no reason to call it.

V

CountDeMoney

This is what gold medals will buy you these days.  And yeah, I put it in the Olympic Whinging Bah Humbug Thread, as I have no gold medals.

Michael Phelps' new girlfriend, Megan Rossee, aged 25 years young: