The 2012 London Olympics Whinging Bah Humbug Thread.

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

I think the Winter Ganmes in general are more interesting and vibrant.

But either way, the IOC ranks in the top 3 of the most corrupt organizations on Earth.

dps

Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2012, 10:47:32 PM
Used to love the Olympics. But somehow the recent outings have left me "meh". Too big, too sensationalist, too commercialized. My favorite games remain Sydney (summer) and Lillehammer (winter) - both times I had the feeling the hosts were really happy and proud to hold the games and not just going through the motions or using it as a propaganda tool.

L.A., Seoul, Barcelona, Atlanta, Athens, Beijing, Sarajevo, Calgary, Albertville, Nagano, Salt Lake City, Turin . . . . I've watched as much coverage of those games as I could, but I'll be damned if I remember anything too specific about them.

Atlanta you should be able to remember for the bombing of the Olympic Park.

Granted, not what the organizing committee would have hoped you remember.

jimmy olsen

I'm sure the Chechens will make every forget Atlanta in 2014.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: dps on July 21, 2012, 10:34:17 AM
Used to love the Olympics. But somehow the recent outings have left me "meh". Too big, too sensationalist, too commercialized. My favorite games remain Sydney (summer) and Lillehammer (winter) - both times I had the feeling the hosts were really happy and proud to hold the games and not just going through the motions or using it as a propaganda tool.

L.A., Seoul, Barcelona, Atlanta, Athens, Beijing, Sarajevo, Calgary, Albertville, Nagano, Salt Lake City, Turin . . . . I've watched as much coverage of those games as I could, but I'll be damned if I remember anything too specific about them.

Why on earth do you say that, it isn't even a 'footnote' in history; what happened, a pipe bomb killed a spectator or two and I forget the name of the perpetrator, which is as it should be.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on July 21, 2012, 11:05:02 AM

Why on earth do you say that, it isn't even a 'footnote' in history; what happened, a pipe bomb killed a spectator or two and I forget the name of the perpetrator, which is as it should be.

Yeah, whats an Olympics without a pipe bomb killing a spectator or two.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

I meant in terms of sports performance.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

Quote from: sbr on July 19, 2012, 10:56:12 PM

Note the one eye, that is the symbol for the illuminati.

One of the Black Company's wizards was a member of the Illuminati?

Scipio

Quote from: mongers on June 18, 2012, 02:52:01 PM
First whinging story in the run up to the Olympics, offical food at venues to be twice the going 'London rate':

Olympic beer to cost £7.23 a pint

Spectators hoping to celebrate British Olympic medals with a drink at the Games face paying the equivalent of more than £7 for a pint of beer, organisers have said.

By  Tim Ross, Political Correspondent
30 May 2012

Bars at the official Games venues will charge £4.80 for a small serving of London 2012 red wine. For visitors with an appetite for traditional British fare, a portion of cod and chips will set them back at least £8.

The London 2012 organisers, who published sample menus yesterday, claimed the prices were "more than comparable" to catering costs at other sporting events.

Rest of article here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9301233/Olympic-beer-to-cost-7.23-a-pint.html
Heineken is no beer.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Neil

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 21, 2012, 10:33:00 AM
But either way, the IOC ranks in the top 3 of the most corrupt organizations on Earth.
Hard to say.  I mean, any body that involves Third Worlders or Europeans is prone to corruption.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

The games has it's first political controversy since the opening, some toe-rag tory boy MP has gotten his tweeting foot stuck in his twitter orifice: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aidan_Burley

Twitter controversy

During the opening ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics of the 2012 Olympic Games, taking place in London, Burley caused a stir on Twitter by denouncing the content of the ceremony as
"...leftie multicultural crap. Bring back Red Arrows, Shakespeare and the Stones."

Burley went on to suggest that it was
"the most leftie opening ceremony I have ever seen - more than Beijing, the capital of a Communist state." [11]

Downing Street sources swiftly sought to distance themselves from Burley's comments.[12] Following criticism of Burley's remarks by fellow parliamentarians and celebrities, alongside calls for his resignation on Twitter, speculation was fuelled that Prime Minister David Cameron would either advise him to stand down or withdraw the Conservative whip. No statement has yet been issued. [13] Subsequently, Burley attempted to row back on his remarks, tweeting
"Seems my tweet has been misunderstood. I was talking about the way it was handled in the show, not multiculturalism itself."

Burley's attempt to clarify his remarks was met with incredulity my many on Twitter.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

katmai

Yeah caught that hullabaloo through friend's twitter responses to opening ceremonies.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

KRonn

You know, lately I've been seeing the "whinging" as a same word for whining. Never saw that word used before.