News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Are There No European Franchises?

Started by Admiral Yi, May 07, 2009, 11:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2009, 07:47:44 AM
McDonalds and KFC are horrendous even by fast food standards.  I have no idea why they are successful, but I suspect it is simply that they have been around forever and people know them.

I generally agree with you on KFC, which is ironic since as you can imagine there's one on every damn corner here.  In general the quality of all of the chains owned by Yum! Brands is EXTREMELY POOR, IMO.

On McDonalds, they seem to have been making major strides lately though.  There's a brand new McDonalds in my town and it's always clean, the workers are efficient and professional and never screw orders up*, and the quality of food seems to be better than it was at other McDonalds in years past.  It makes the Dairy Queen down the street from it look like a total piece of shit.

* this is significant since they are all hicks from "the wrong side of the lake", i.e. the part of the county that's an outlier of Appalachia.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 08, 2009, 07:48:56 AM
Mcdonalds was always big on adapting itself to where it's located. It's one the main reason why it's so succesfull.

I think it's in the Philippine that they serve Spaghetti.

I don't miss the damn McLobster Roll though. :x

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 08, 2009, 07:53:10 AM
On McDonalds, they seem to have been making major strides lately though.  There's a brand new McDonalds in my town and it's always clean, the workers are efficient and professional and never screw orders up*, and the quality of food seems to be better than it was at other McDonalds in years past.  It makes the Dairy Queen down the street from it look like a total piece of shit.

I will give you that.  When I was a kid people used to take us to McDonalds all the time because, you know, that is what kids supposedly like.  I swore I would never eat at that crap place again as soon as I was old enough.  So I guess I have to concede it could  have gotten better since 1987 or whenever the last time I ate there was.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Warspite

I wish Cold Stone and Five Guys would open up in the UK.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2009, 07:55:56 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 08, 2009, 07:53:10 AM

I will give you that.  When I was a kid people used to take us to McDonalds all the time because, you know, that is what kids supposedly like.  I swore I would never eat at that crap place again as soon as I was old enough.  So I guess I have to concede it could  have gotten better since 1987 or whenever the last time I ate there was.

DUDE, THEY HAVE A PLAYGROUND.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2009, 07:55:56 AMI will give you that.  When I was a kid people used to take us to McDonalds all the time because, you know, that is what kids supposedly like.  I swore I would never eat at that crap place again as soon as I was old enough.  So I guess I have to concede it could  have gotten better since 1987 or whenever the last time I ate there was.

:lol: Man in your mind McDonalds must be the place to go to get a McDLT and listen to Mac Tonite muzak.

Caliga

alfred russel

Coke and Pepsi also use the franchise model.

I think you can make a general rule that corporations using the franchise model to serve the general public that have a significant international presence tend to be American (even if some are European). I like the idea that someone had earlier of the relatively recent introduction of the european free trade zone. World War II probably influenced things as well, as many of the companies that are international franchises go back to at least the 1950s.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Cold Stone should really come to Europe. I'd love that.

McDonald's here basically expanded their business to copy Starbuck's idea. A lof of McDonald's shops have part of their shop with nice chairs and dark wood now and serve different kinds of coffee. It's called McCafé. They also always have some special offers, which are probably Germany-specific.

Caliga

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 08, 2009, 08:24:22 AM
Cold Stone should really come to Europe. I'd love that.

McDonald's here basically expanded their business to copy Starbuck's idea. A lof of McDonald's shops have part of their shop with nice chairs and dark wood now and serve different kinds of coffee. It's called McCafé. They also always have some special offers, which are probably Germany-specific.
Actually the new McDonalds I was mentioning earlier is a McCafe concept outlet too.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2009, 12:27:31 AM
... in many cases, customers perceive a franchise (when it comes to food industry at least) as lower quality, actually
I think that this is the key.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

saskganesh

Is Wimpie's still around? Weinerwald (who had franchises in USA at one point)?
humans were created in their own image

Malthus

The world's worst McDonalds franchise location has to be the one on the 400 just north of Toronto. Always incredibly busy, staffed by brain-dead local suburbanite teens, filthy beyond compare, the food a lawsuit waiting to happen. Thing is they have a monopoly on the highway traffic, so they don't need to be any good.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2009, 10:02:40 AM
The world's worst McDonalds franchise location has to be the one on the 400 just north of Toronto. Always incredibly busy, staffed by brain-dead local suburbanite teens, filthy beyond compare, the food a lawsuit waiting to happen. Thing is they have a monopoly on the highway traffic, so they don't need to be any good.

Sounds like the McD's locations on the Garden State Parkway.  I *did* get sick after eating at one of them.  Should've known better, but I was dying of hunger & didn't have other options.

Ditto for the Roy Rogers places on the NJ Turnpike as well, come to think of it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall