News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Are There No European Franchises?

Started by Admiral Yi, May 07, 2009, 11:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

My corp law professor yestedrday was kidn enough to tell us that the KFC/Taco Bell nearby was on youtube with a video of rats dancing across everything. She pointed out that the restaurant had closed, but the rats were still around...

Given that I eat around here, I was not a fan.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2009, 10:28:09 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2009, 10:02:40 AM
The world's worst McDonalds franchise location has to be the one on the 400 just north of Toronto. Always incredibly busy, staffed by brain-dead local suburbanite teens, filthy beyond compare, the food a lawsuit waiting to happen. Thing is they have a monopoly on the highway traffic, so they don't need to be any good.

Sounds like the McD's locations on the Garden State Parkway.  I *did* get sick after eating at one of them.  Should've known better, but I was dying of hunger & didn't have other options.

Ditto for the Roy Rogers places on the NJ Turnpike as well, come to think of it.

I suspect it is the lack of options that makes such a place bad (and stay in business), rather than the specific franchise chain.

The last time i went there, and what convinced me to drive miles out of my way not to go again - I get a sprite, a burger and fries. Fries were cold and greasy - sort of floppy; the burger was cold too; I took a sip of the sprite - it tasted like chemicals - I spat it out. Took the sprite up to the counter and said "this tastes like some sort of chemical". The manager appears and doesn't bat an eye; he says "oh yeah, we've been getting that a lot this AM, I guess someone forgot to wash the cleaner out of the machine". My reaction: "then why are you still selling drinks from that machine, when you *know* it is contaminated?" His reaction was to shrug a bit. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2009, 10:43:40 AM
I suspect it is the lack of options that makes such a place bad (and stay in business), rather than the specific franchise chain.

Perhaps in uncivilized places. I've never had any problems on my Transcalifornia trips.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2009, 10:49:49 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2009, 10:43:40 AM

Perhaps in uncivilized places. I've never had any problems on my Transcalifornia trips.

Your two sentences don't jibe.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 08, 2009, 07:48:56 AM
I think it's in the Philippine that they serve Spaghetti.

Ah, so that's why McDonalds in the Philippines has guards armed with machine guns.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2009, 10:50:49 AM

You live, voluntarily I assume, in Canada. I wouldn't expect you to understand. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2009, 10:53:30 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2009, 10:50:49 AM

You live, voluntarily I assume, in Canada. I wouldn't expect you to understand. :hug:

Because nothing says "civilization" better than a state governed by an ex-Austrian bodybuilder in which gay folk can't marry.  :D

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2009, 10:58:45 AM
Because nothing says "civilization" better than a state governed by an ex-Austrian bodybuilder in which gay folk can't marry.  :D

You can play that game with any location. Won't pass muster. :(

derspiess

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2009, 11:02:20 AM

You can play that game with any location. Won't pass muster. :(

Face it, you got schooled.

Know why? Because you don't even know enough about Canada to reply in kind.

Yet another benefit of a "civilized" US education.  :D

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2009, 11:08:19 AM
Face it, you got schooled.

Know why? Because you don't even know enough about Canada to reply in kind.

Yet another benefit of a "civilized" US education.  :D
It's true, I do not.  But then, one doesn't need to. :)

How knowledge of irrelevant current events plays into "civilization" is beyond me. I doubt in school that you were taught about California's ex-Austrian governor, unless in Canada, they teach fortune telling...:o

saskganesh

do avoid the BK at Albert/ Sask Drive and the McD's at Albert/Dewdney in Regina. just horrible. also Burger Baron, way way overrated.

I have never had a bad meal at A&W in Canada.
humans were created in their own image

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2009, 10:28:09 AMDitto for the Roy Rogers places on the NJ Turnpike as well, come to think of it.

:mad:

Roy's :wub:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jacob

I was going to post about a few European franchises, but Ark beat me to the punch.

Speaking of Japanese franchises, there's a ramen shop down the road that is part of a franchise with locations in Hawaii, Tokyo, Vancouver and I think one or two other places.

Oh... and what about Pho Hoa?  I'm guessing they're American, but I don't know.
http://www.phohoa.com/

EDIT:  Ah, there it is.  American :)

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on May 08, 2009, 07:32:51 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 08, 2009, 07:28:54 AM

In Genoa, the menu had all the typical McDonalds shit on it, but there were a couple of additions, including some 'Caribbean' chicken sandwich, and there might have been a burger version of this also.
I'd think that would be some limited time special thing, they pop up often. Right now its some Chicago style crap IIRC.

I only like the specials at MackyD's. Esp. when they have the "Big Tasty Bacon" or that Chili Jalapeno burger. Most other stuff is crap.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.