News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Are There No European Franchises?

Started by Admiral Yi, May 07, 2009, 11:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2009, 05:45:14 PM
Well, a Big Mac Menu here is about the equivalent of $3. A lunch in a restaurant or a diner costs from $8 up and it does not include drinks.

LOL Poland.

Hint: The Third World is not representative.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2009, 05:32:21 PM
I don't think many of them are international, not to mention continent-spanning, the way American franchises are, though.

I think the biggest reason for that is simply the concept is pretty old here.  Very few of the big international chains have been created since 1970.

As time goes by competitors from other nations will move in in large numbers to compete with them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Here you are looking at probably $7-8 for a meal and McD's.  At Whole Foods I can get a pretty decent salad and a drink (fruit juice, tea, etc.) for under $8 (I usually send under $6 as I get a small salad).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on May 08, 2009, 05:46:22 PM
Well, a Big Mac Menu here is about the equivalent of $3. A lunch in a restaurant or a diner costs from $8 up and it does not include drinks.

LOL Poland.

How is having a cheap McD an indicator of living in a third world country.

Civilization = paying more for crap? :D

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2009, 05:40:45 PM
I don't think so.  Unless one orders only a few items off of the dollar menu, McD's (/fast food for that matter) really isn't all that cheap. I think familiarity has to play a big role as there is a lot better stuff out there for similar pricing (at least here in the bay area).  (Even though always thought of as rather pricey, one wouldn't need to spend that much more - if any - at Whole Foods for a much healthier meal.)

Yep there is a really good Tex-Mex place by my house that I spend about as much as I would for a fast food meal.  Some of the Fast Food places, Schlotzky's comes to mind (which may not be as common outside of Austin since they are headquartered here), are actually surprisingly pricey. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2009, 05:48:36 PM

Lower standard of living.

Civilization = paying more for everything.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2009, 05:48:36 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 08, 2009, 05:46:22 PM

LOL Poland.

How much do you think you have to pay for a Coke in Chad?

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on May 08, 2009, 05:52:32 PM

I wouldn't be paying Chad nothing to be snorting all my coke. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2009, 05:54:55 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 08, 2009, 05:52:32 PM

I wouldn't be paying Chad nothing to be snorting all my coke. :angry:

You are Cheap.

garbon

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2009, 05:36:22 PM
I think their success is that they are cheap, and in the price range they offer, you would be likely to find some really low-quality, low-hygenic food outside of a franchise.
That doesn't explain why other franchises haven't been successful.  Taco Bell, for example has tried UK expansion (a baby step to Europe) 2 or 3 times and each time they've failed.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 08, 2009, 06:19:24 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2009, 05:36:22 PM
I think their success is that they are cheap, and in the price range they offer, you would be likely to find some really low-quality, low-hygenic food outside of a franchise.
That doesn't explain why other franchises haven't been successful.  Taco Bell, for example has tried UK expansion (a baby step to Europe) 2 or 3 times and each time they've failed.

Even more shocking, when most brits eat shit.

That is my british food joke for the month.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 08, 2009, 07:34:50 PM

I like Taco Bell :blush:

I haven't eaten there in months though...trying to lose weight.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2009, 07:36:36 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 08, 2009, 07:34:50 PM

I like Taco Bell :blush:

I haven't eaten there in months though...trying to lose weight.

I have a weakness for their bean burritos.  :blush:

Without onion. God help them if there is onion my my burrito.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon