News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Here Languish Stands game thread

Started by Solmyr, June 12, 2012, 02:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Solmyr on June 15, 2012, 02:01:59 PM
I can't get mercs until Schmalkaldic League is played and my Rebel Base is established (i.e. earliest turn 3 diplo phase). I can accept a card draw next turn and 2 mercs as soon as I can receive them, though. If that is ok, I will play TTP on Alva this turn barring unforeseen Papal-induced disaster.

Yeah, that's fine.

Tamas

Habbaku

That's a fairly decent trade for the Protestants, though I'd bilk him for 3 mercenaries.  Alva is a sub-optimal target for the French, though.  If in his position, I'd want Brandon nuked.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Indeed. The only conflicting business I can hav with France is Metz and I ain't that enthusiastic about it.

ulmont

Quote from: Habbaku on June 15, 2012, 02:18:03 PM
If in his position, I'd want Brandon nuked.

I suspect nuking Brandon might cause England to start reevaluating our relationship immediately.

Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2012, 02:21:42 PM
Indeed. The only conflicting business I can hav with France is Metz and I ain't that enthusiastic about it.

I dunno, you deployed right to the French border as far away from Metz as you could get, so you're definitely enthusiastic about something.

sbr

I am confused about the wording in the rules.  I can't copy/paste on my phone but can when i get home if needed.

18.3 and 18.4 (8) talk about determining the result of a reformation attempt, I am curious about the part that talks about breaking ties.

The power that makes the attempt wins ties in the target language zone(s), the other power wins ties elsewhere.  What is the target language zone in this context?

Habbaku

Quote from: sbr on June 15, 2012, 02:30:51 PM
The power that makes the attempt wins ties in the target language zone(s), the other power wins ties elsewhere.  What is the target language zone in this context?

The language zone being targeted.  At the start of each set of Publish Treatise, Burn Books or Bible/New Testament series of conversion attempts, you must target a language zone--either French, German, English, Italian or Spanish.  Anything outside of those zones is always considered a "lose-ties" proposition (such as Prague and the like).

Some debaters (such as Caraffa) and cards allow you to target all zones simultaneously, though.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Target language zone is German, English, French, etc - they are the variously colored areas on the map. Which one it is depends on the exact play - translations and some events target a specific zone, publishing a treatise/burning books targets the zone of the player's choice, some events can also target all zones at once. So if I target the German zone, it means all spaces within the brown area on the map.

And debates can also target German, English, or French zone, which restricts the Protestants to using their debaters only from that zone (Papacy can use any available debaters).

Solmyr

Also sbr, note that Papacy does not win ties even if it makes the attempt, until you get Paul III or Julius III as your ruler.

Solmyr

Suleiman gathers the Horde. Tamas is up.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

In my majestic grace, I am offering the French to leave them alone in whatever they want to do this turn, in exchange of receiving a card draw from them the next one. Seeking confirmation before making my move.

ulmont

Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2012, 03:00:42 PM
In my majestic grace, I am offering the French to leave them alone in whatever they want to do this turn, in exchange of receiving a card draw from them the next one. Seeking confirmation before making my move.

Interpreting that as "feel free to take Metz and make peace," I accept.

On another point:

Mr. Pope, I am not sure what happened, but we seem to be in a state of war! This is very distressing, and we should make peace as quickly as possible! Please don't excommunicate me!

Love, Francis.

Tamas

It is rightly interpreted as such, yes.

So it's a deal. Feel free to switch your leader-killing to Brandon as a result :P

Solmyr