News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Full time job? Consider yourself lucky

Started by CountDeMoney, June 04, 2012, 10:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Drakken on June 05, 2012, 09:05:04 PM
I'm glad I was accepted in plumbery/heating school this fall - the demand's so great it'll be nigh-on impossible not to find work.  :cool:

Nice. I'm think about going into something like that too. Electrician would be fun but everyone is a damn electrician already.

Plumber, there's an idea.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Strix

Quote from: Berkut on June 06, 2012, 10:05:45 AM
Yeah, while I certainly am concerned about the lack of jobs, it isn't really a matter of luck.

That is correct. It's a matter of a better Union.  :lol:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Habbaku

Quote from: Strix on June 06, 2012, 11:57:35 AM
Yeah, while I certainly am concerned about the lack of jobs, it isn't really a matter of luck.

That is correct. It's a matter of a better Union.  :lol:

I hope Scott Walker becomes governor of New York when he's done in Wisconsin.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2012, 11:28:25 AM
Plumber, there's an idea.

Good luck. When I passed my admission test we were around 200 applicants that day, for that school, and I heard through the grapevine they would take only one in three applicants. The Sec 4 Math questions weren't doozies, especially given that I haven't been in high school since the 90s.  :sleep:

Everyone reasonably good in school and going the professional way attempt to enter in plumbery/heating because it's very well paid even during companionship. So come prepared, and do practice your manual/finger dexterity before, you'll need it.

Scipio

Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2012, 01:26:36 PM
Quote from: Scipio on June 05, 2012, 01:19:43 PM
Working for yourself, for fuckssakes.  Where's the entrepreneurial spirit?  Whining see-you-next-Tuesdays!

Oh how I wish I could mention some stuff from The Back Room, Mr. "I'm an entrepeneur". :contract:
I am proof that anyone, no matter how crappy a businessman, can succeed as an entrepreneur.  But you are proof that a Ukrainian, no matter how successful, can't spell 'entrepreneur.'
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DGuller

Quote from: Drakken on June 05, 2012, 09:05:04 PM
I'm glad I was accepted in plumbery/heating school this fall - the demand's so great it'll be nigh-on impossible not to find work.  :cool:
No shit.

DGuller

It's definitely not all a matter of luck, but to say there is no luck involved is the height of hubris.  There is luck involved in being good at things that are in demand, there is luck involved in graduating during a boom economy, there is unfortunately a lot of luck in the interviewing process, etc, etc. 

Yes, if you're a genius with no serious flaws, you probably won't ever stay unemployed for long.  However, we can't all be at the top of the field, and the success level of people in the middle can hinge greatly on having a moment of good fortune at the right time.  On average, the economy is made up of average people.

Barrister

Quote from: Scipio on June 06, 2012, 01:26:56 PM
Working for yourself, for fuckssakes.  Where's the entrepreneurial spirit?  Whining see-you-next-Tuesdays!

Oh how I wish I could mention some stuff from The Back Room, Mr. "I'm an entrepeneur". :contract:
I am proof that anyone, no matter how crappy a businessman, can succeed as an entrepreneur.  But you are proof that a Ukrainian, no matter how successful, can't spell 'entrepreneur.'

I would say more, but I feel bound by the TBR Oath of Secrecy. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on June 06, 2012, 01:43:37 PM
It's definitely not all a matter of luck, but to say there is no luck involved is the height of hubris.  There is luck involved in being good at things that are in demand, there is luck involved in graduating during a boom economy, there is unfortunately a lot of luck in the interviewing process, etc, etc. 

Yes, if you're a genius with no serious flaws, you probably won't ever stay unemployed for long.  However, we can't all be at the top of the field, and the success level of people in the middle can hinge greatly on having a moment of good fortune at the right time.  On average, the economy is made up of average people.

There is also this: job fields are like investments, in that following the common wisdom leads to being victimized by boom/bust cycles.  Sure, right now, being a plumber is in demand, but it won't be forever if it is widely seen as a good job to go into.

Same happened with law. Used to be, become a lawyer, get a high-paying job ... which led to a lot of people becomming lawyers. Suddenly, it isn't so easy to get a job as one.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on June 06, 2012, 03:14:16 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 06, 2012, 01:43:37 PM

There is also this: job fields are like investments, in that following the common wisdom leads to being victimized by boom/bust cycles.  Sure, right now, being a plumber is in demand, but it won't be forever if it is widely seen as a good job to go into.

Same happened with law. Used to be, become a lawyer, get a high-paying job ... which led to a lot of people becomming lawyers. Suddenly, it isn't so easy to get a job as one.

Since becoming a plumber means having to work with feces on a regular basis I suspect it will always be an in-demand job...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2012, 03:16:48 PM
Since becoming a plumber means having to work with feces on a regular basis I suspect it will always be an in-demand job...

I've met a few master plumbers that drive nice fucking Benzes on the weekend on their way to their club level PSL season tickets for the Ravens.

Plumbers and electricians can really make beau coup bucks, but it's not a glorious enough occupation.  That's why they're screaming for apprentices to get into the business--it's just not glamorous enough. 

No TV dramas based on plumbers, I guess.  ZOMG TURN ON THE TV "GREYS ALKALINITY" IS COMING ON

Drakken

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2012, 03:16:48 PM

Companions and apprentices, plus those in home repair service, deal with feces.

Plumbers can also work on installing pipes and plumbery systems on construction sites, and also both fix and install heating systems in both residential, commercial, and industrial settings. My future formation would handle both plumbery and heating, and with a Red Seal certificate I could work anywhere in Canada.

EDIT : CDM beat me to it, more eloquently.  :blush:

Admiral Yi

And think of all the bored housewives you'll get to communally seduce.  :)

Scipio

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2012, 01:49:29 PM

Whatever.  I release you, so you can unleash your rhetorical hounds.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

Quote from: Scipio on June 06, 2012, 03:49:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2012, 01:49:29 PM

Whatever.  I release you, so you can unleash your rhetorical hounds.

^_^
Women want me. Men want to be with me.