News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Full time job? Consider yourself lucky

Started by CountDeMoney, June 04, 2012, 10:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Scipio on June 07, 2012, 06:54:36 AM
I've got three part time jobs because my wife and I plan to be debt-free, including the mortgage, within seven years.
:hug:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2012, 03:16:48 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 06, 2012, 03:14:16 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 06, 2012, 01:43:37 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 06, 2012, 10:05:45 AM
Yeah, while I certainly am concerned about the lack of jobs, it isn't really a matter of luck.
It's definitely not all a matter of luck, but to say there is no luck involved is the height of hubris.  There is luck involved in being good at things that are in demand, there is luck involved in graduating during a boom economy, there is unfortunately a lot of luck in the interviewing process, etc, etc. 

Yes, if you're a genius with no serious flaws, you probably won't ever stay unemployed for long.  However, we can't all be at the top of the field, and the success level of people in the middle can hinge greatly on having a moment of good fortune at the right time.  On average, the economy is made up of average people.

There is also this: job fields are like investments, in that following the common wisdom leads to being victimized by boom/bust cycles.  Sure, right now, being a plumber is in demand, but it won't be forever if it is widely seen as a good job to go into.

Same happened with law. Used to be, become a lawyer, get a high-paying job ... which led to a lot of people becomming lawyers. Suddenly, it isn't so easy to get a job as one.

Since becoming a plumber means having to work with feces on a regular basis I suspect it will always be an in-demand job...

Hey, lawyers have to work with feces on a regular basis too - only, the two-legged variety.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 07, 2012, 06:57:59 AM
I've got three part time jobs because my wife and I plan to be debt-free, including the mortgage, within seven years.

I wish I could do that...but I am working towards my Engineering degree still and that sorta takes up all my non-kid rearing non-working non-Languish time.

However I think everything should be paid off, except the house but that is ok because we are going to sell once I finish my degree, in less than three.

Debt = just a bad idea.  Never again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2012, 08:24:36 AM

Actually, you got rid of crazy debt-maker - THAT never again ;)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Definitely;  I've got nothing on me but a mortgage and a car payment in addition to monthly living expenses.

Until they totally eliminate the mortgage interest deductions, you should have at least something in the way of a mortgage, even if it's a little one that has a negligible impact on your expenses.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2012, 02:14:15 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2012, 03:16:48 PMSince becoming a plumber means having to work with feces on a regular basis I suspect it will always be an in-demand job...

This, metaphorically, works for being a lawyer too. :P

Bah.  Lots of jobs have you working with metaphorical shit all the time.

There's a world of difference between that, and dealing with literal shit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

I wish I could do that...but I am working towards my Engineering degree still and that sorta takes up all my non-kid rearing non-working non-Languish time.

Isn't it going to take a long time to get you engineering degree at the rate of one hour per fortnight ?    :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

However I think everything should be paid off, except the house but that is ok because we are going to sell once I finish my degree, in less than three.

My celebration of D-Day (debt-free day) is comming soon.  :) On August 1, to be exact!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on June 07, 2012, 08:44:24 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2012, 02:14:15 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2012, 03:16:48 PMSince becoming a plumber means having to work with feces on a regular basis I suspect it will always be an in-demand job...

This, metaphorically, works for being a lawyer too. :P

Bah.  Lots of jobs have you working with metaphorical shit all the time.

There's a world of difference between that, and dealing with literal shit.

What every plumber wants is to end up being the guy who orders his apprentices to deal with the literal shit.  ;)

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 07, 2012, 08:41:00 AM

Definitely;  I've got nothing on me but a mortgage and a car payment in addition to monthly living expenses.

Until they totally eliminate the mortgage interest deductions, you should have at least something in the way of a mortgage, even if it's a little one that has a negligible impact on your expenses.

I can't wait for my car to be paid off at the end of this month! :w00t:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 07, 2012, 10:02:15 AM
I can't wait for my car to be paid off at the end of this month! :w00t:

That's awesome.  I hated getting a car payment after years of not having one. :cry:

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on June 07, 2012, 08:45:24 AM
Isn't it going to take a long time to get you engineering degree at the rate of one hour per fortnight ?    :P

Well it sure is not going to be fast :P

I just got accepted into the program at the end of last year after several years of hard work.  Now probably three more years to go.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 07, 2012, 08:41:00 AM

If I really want deductions I will just donate money to charity.

Iormlund

Quote from: Malthus on June 07, 2012, 07:47:52 AM
Hey, lawyers have to work with feces on a regular basis too - only, the two-legged variety.  ;)

Mostly other lawyers.